The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What if Dinosaurs survived extinction story

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Introduction
It is well documented that something catastrophic happened at the end of the Cretaceous period. What precisely happened in these last years of dinosaur dominance is still being vigorously debated, and every theory ferociously analyzed and questioned. But one thing is certain, Dinosaurs are extinct.
The most popular theory is that which describes a large asteroid, 6 miles in diameter, crashing into the Yucatan Peninsula roughly around the time of the Great Extinction. It wasn’t the only thing that was assaulting our world. The Deccan Traps in India, as well as the proliferation of volcanoes, all seemed to suggest the extinction may have been caused by volcanic activity.
Volcanic activity is believed to have started the Permian Mass Extinction almost 185 million years earlier, but there is strong evidence this extinction was caused by an asteroid. The discovery of large traces of iridium, an element rare on Earth but common in asteroids, precisely around the time of the K-T Extinction seems to suggest it was indeed extraterrestrial.
Regardless of the cause, the result was obvious, the complete and utter extinction of all the world’s dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and plesiosaurs. But what if it had gone differently?
What if the asteroid was only half as big, and crashed in the oceans of the Pacific, near the Philippines? The effects would have been far smaller, though still disastrous. A great dust cloud would envelop the earth, causing the plants to die off. However, certain areas of the world would be less affected then others.
The dust cloud might be just a little bit less thick, for example, and perhaps herbivores could survive a little longer. In turn, predators like Tyrannosaurus Rex and Dakotaraptor would be capable of surviving as well.
By the time the extinction ebbed away, dinosaurs would be extinct in Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Antarctica. Yet, in the Americas, the population is able to scrape by. However, things are different. Only a few groups of predators, and the numerous and adaptable hadrosaurs survive.
Yet as the world recovers, the vacuum allows mammals to rise. The few groups of dinosaurs that continue, the Tyrannosaurs, raptors, and hadrosaurs of the north, and the Abelisaurs and Titanosaurs of the South struggle.
The extinction necessitates changes. The size of the larger dinosaurs dramatically changes. Within roughly 10 million years, it is likely they would be only half as big. Hadrosaurs would gradually be outcompeted by mammal grazers due to their ability to protect their young in their bodies due to pregnancy and their ability to eat less. By roughly 30 Million BC, with the rise of large mammalian herbivores, Hadrosaurs would most likely be extinct.
However, it is unlikely the same fate would befall the carnivorous dinosaurs. The sheer size and strength of Tyrannosaurs, and Abelisaurs, as well as the cunning and speed of raptors would allow them to continue to rule as Apex predators, and with the return of large prey, they could again grow to greater size.
Over the next twenty million years, these dinosaurs would proliferate and diversify. However, they would likely not return to Eurasia and Africa due to the lack of connectivity between continents until the ice ages.
The ice ages would be both a blessing and a struggle for the dinosaurian predators. The cold could be fought if they were warm blooded, which an active predator like T-rex or its hypothetical descendants would likely be. In addition, the arrival of enormous prey like Mammoths would give them better access to food.
However, hardier, and more aggressive prey would also be dangerous.
In addition, the arrival of another creature, would change everything. The arrival, of humanity…

This is just the introduction setting up a story I am writing. Let me know what you think.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds good to me :) If it's intended to turn into a story of sorts, maybe this would better fit into "the written word"?
Inactive, probably forever.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 13 2016 on  02:44 PM
Didn't they evolve into birds?
Birds are the closest living relatives (or outright descendents of theropods).

That said, what genre are you planning on writing?

Grammarwise, put spaces between your paragraphs.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Aug 13 2016 on  03:36 PM
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 13 2016 on  02:44 PM
Didn't they evolve into birds?
Birds are the closest living relatives (or outright descendents of theropods).

That said, what genre are you planning on writing?

Grammarwise, put spaces between your paragraphs.
Mostly adventure. This was just the description of it so people could have a reference in case they got confused. However, its more or less a series of short stories. I will have the first one up in a little while.
Also, if anyone has suggestions for what people might call these animals, please let me know. No real dinosaur names, however, so no "don" or "saurus" in the names.
I already have one name for the descendants of Tyrannosaurus, the Tiger Dragon. Oh, and like Dr. Grant said in my favorite dinosaur movie, some species, but not all, evolved along those lines. Also, to my knowledge, birds had already evolved by the end of the dinosaur era.

I love Jelly Otter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
They couldn't survive anyway, cause while the continents were shifting all the time, the gravity was changing too & eventually they became literally too heavy to live as they were.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: I love Jelly Otter,Aug 18 2016 on  07:07 AM
They couldn't survive anyway, cause while the continents were shifting all the time, the gravity was changing too & eventually they became literally too heavy to live as they were.
The continents shifting around all the time wouldn't have wiped out an entire genus on its own. Continents move around all the time event today and you don't see entire genuses being wiped out left and right. Yes there's still extinctions that happen, but they have much less to do with just continental movement and more to do with other factors.

As for the gravity thing, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Gravity does alter across parts of the world yes, though it's usually consistant and only very few areas experience different levels of gravity from what I remember. And these slight shifts would not have caused the dinos to suddenly become too heavy to be alive. It woud take an incredible amount of increased gravity really fast to do something like that, I would imagine.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, the shifting of the continents would not have affected gravity to any significant degree.  Sometimes the lessening amount of oxygen in the atmosphere is given as a reason why non-avian dinosaurs could not have survived for long even if the extinction even had not happened, but that idea is also unconvincing as dinosaurs (like birds) had a much more efficient respiratory system involving multiple airsacs and could have adapted to the changing conditions.  If it wasn't for the extinction event I see no reason why the non-avian dinosaurs could not have adapted to the changing environmental conditions.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

I love Jelly Otter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Again, dinos & before them were big due to smaller gravity.  Today, elephants & whales are the biggest animals & they already barely move themselves.  Imagine dinos survived & existing today - how fast they would move compared to elephants/whales?   Not sure about smaller dinos from back then - there must be something in the air that time...

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: I love Jelly Otter,Aug 22 2016 on  06:14 AM
Again, dinos & before them were big due to smaller gravity.  Today, elephants & whales are the biggest animals & they already barely move themselves.  Imagine dinos survived & existing today - how fast they would move compared to elephants/whales?   Not sure about smaller dinos from back then - there must be something in the air that time...
A significant change in the Earth's gravity would require the addition or loss of a significant amount of the Earth's mass.

Also, while the oxygen levels were slightly higher during the Mesozoic, that shouldn't affect dinosaur size as they have a circulatory system (which allows sufficient oxygenation of all tissues).

By the way, elephants and whales are not slow.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The effect continents have on local gravity is ridiculously small compared to the total gravity of earth that originates in its total mass. That certainly has not effected the size of dinosaurs at all.
Inactive, probably forever.