The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Born this way?

Guest · 43 · 4947

Kron the Iguanadon

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkzgyp_sp...hing_shortfilms

0:58-1:03
What the heck happened?

Did something happen in the grass between 0:51 and 0:58 that was shown offscreen? For someone who just hatched he looks pretty big...

Grr...it makes me angry that I can't watch film from ALL angles to see what happens  "offscreen" like what apparently happened to spike in the grass between 0:51 and 0:58...

But I'd also like to know; why was he born in the middle of the journey? Initially a fan of the sequels, I'd always assumed Spike was...the same age as everyone else. I saw him as "the big guy" of the gang, not the "big baby"! :(

So what do I do? Revise my vision of Spike? Pretend they  just found him orphaned in the first film and stick to my favorite sequels from thereon? (I'd rather not do the latter...)

Who knows what happened in those few offscreen seconds. Perhaps God suddenly decided to change him to the age of all the others, realizing a baby couldn't deal with what they were going to go through...or in those seconds some bizarre time warp happened and everyone froze for about five years but spike still aged but everyone else didn't...only Spike, God, and perhaps the team who worked on the movie know the true answer. (Since Ducky apparently stepped out of the grass before it happed). God isn't gonna answer to something like this, and Spike isn't gonna be talking about it, and the production team...your best chance of finding out is e-mailing one of them about this

anyways I'm surprised almost no one's ever commented on this serious animation error...well it wouldn't be an error if they just found Spike...already born and their freakin age! (Yes, as good as it is, I even have to critic the original for some things.)

Kiwizoom

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I think it was just another way of introducing the characters as they came along.  Petrie, ducky, cera, all kind of fell into LF's lap so to speak, in different ways.  I suppose it'd be a little redundant also if spike just ended up that way?  Also, I think they cite the fact that he is new is the reason that he can barely talk (though, with as many sequels as there are, it's probable that he would learn by then)  But it'd be hard to take away such a notable feature of a character ^^

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree with Kiwizoom. Somebody important thought that it would be boring if Spike just joined Littlefoot like the others did, so they made Spike a hatchling Ducky stumbles upon. However, this created a problem for the animators, because they had to reconcile the scientifically correct size of an dinosaur egg (eggs relative to adults in LBT 1 are of realistic proportions), with making Spike strong enough (and smart enough) to follow the others. There was no elegant solution to this problem, so they just made him hatch in grass so that they don't have to draw his rapid growth, which would look pretty hilarious. It would be like a punch in the eye.  This way they made it less obvious.

I always imagined Spike grew so rapidly becuase he ate all the grass around him.  :lol  It is a cartoon, so it didn't bother me too much.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I always imagined Spike grew so rapidly becuase he ate all the grass around him. It is a cartoon, so it didn't bother me too much

It didn't bother me as a kid either cause you aren't really bothered by that stuff as a kid. I'm a teenager now, and things are different. I'm greatly bothered by this.  :confused

As good as the original was, it had it's flaws.

From another topic:

One of the land before time books I have claims the time span between Littlefoot's hatching and the next scene in the land before time (when he asks his mother if there isn't anything more to eat) to be five years. I suppose this was just a guess of the author though.

Well, still, that's cool to know, seeing as I personally wondered how much time did pass.

It is very difficult to estimate the age of the characters. On the one hand we get glimpses at some characters (Dinah, Dana, Tricia, Tippy) which strongly suggest that they all went through a period of "hatchlinghood".

Which is why they aren't annoying as hell---well, Tricia isn't, but then again, she's Tricia.  ;)

We never saw this period for Spike though who didn't live through whatever time may have elapsed between Littlefoot's hatching and his first talking in the original movie.

Four words---I. Thought. He. Did.

Spike's size tripled (or more) in the first moments after he hatched.

Whoever wrote this claims to be sure this off-screen phenomenon; yet it isn't possible thaat he or she knows ay more about what went on in the grass then you I or do, is it?!

Perhaps his inability to talk was the only real indication for his being much younger than the others in the original movie

He/she's got that right. If I missed a mere miute of 1 I never, I mean never would have guessed he was that muchyounger then the others.

and perhaps that inability to talk was not originally meant to be an indication for anything but his younger age

Clearly that's not the case for the sequels. Chomper has grown from "hatchlinghood" into beig a kid and can talk, so by 5 at least, Spike should be talking. I don't think him not talking has to do with him being younger. It's who he is.  ;)

From another post someone said:

Did you realize how Spike's size multiplied in the first few seconds after his birth?

The creepy thing is I don't think a lot of actually do. I mean, before I came on I hadn't seen a lot of comments about it---the ones I'm taking are the few I did see.

I think that at the end of his hatching scene he ended up four or five times (possibly more) the size he must have had the moment of the hatching.

This creepy phenomenon sounds just creepier when he puts it that way...because it is.

It's like his hatching scene...took place over 5 years...

And then:

I noticed that. I guessed they did that since Spike may not have been able to keep up with the large Littlefoot and Cera, and was to big to ride on one of their backs like Ducky and Petrie could do, so they sorta did a poof he's their size.

One word: lazy!

Littlefoot was able to keep up with his mom, Spike could have easily kept up with Littlefoot and Cera. Hell, he was big enough to ride on their bikes. There was no valid reason at all that he shouldn't have stayed the same size as he did when he hatched. None.

But...did he have to stay a baby after all, though? Cause there's another way the production team could have gotten around this without being lazy. The solution?

Though they should have come up with a better solution. Maybe something like finding him sorta like Ducky found Littlefoot, and they found Petrie.

Yes! Someone esle wishes he was already born and the same age as the rest of the group in 1. I wish sooooooooooo much that was true. The idea is just so touching. The gang of five, all roughly the same age...it's what I thought was true but isn't.  :cry The idea makes them seem more...equal with each other. Spike isn't a Dinah-Dana brat---he's as much a member of the gang as the rest of the group, even if he has little to say. There was no reason at all that he shouldn't have been the same age as the rest of them. If that were the case, then Spike would be the "big guy" of the gang, and I would be so happy.

But it ain't.

It ain't!  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry

It ain't and that makes Spike the "big baby" of the gang and that makes me sad cause I used to think of them all pretty much the same age!  :cry

Why couldn't Spike have lived through that period? The quote " Spike's size tripled (or more) in the first moments after he hatched" makes that blistering rage I have of not knowing what happened in the grass even greater---why did they have to shoot it from outside? Why couldn't they have Spike born and their freaking age? Why was movie 1 less then perfect, and yet the first three sequels are better?

We have seen another case of rapid growth. Remember the first minutes in Spike's life?

oh yes, i do *chuckles*

First "minute" is more like it. And no offense...but I don't find it funny (I think I've made that clear)

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow...all these years and I never noticed this. It's amazing and I can't seem to find any reason for it. Nice find. X3 :lol

Although, I must debunk your "Grows from point 0:51 to 0:58" point. Spike still appears in proportionate size when eating the grass. It's not until he joins the group after the fade out that he's grown immensely in size.

Bruton the Iguanodon

You sure...? Cause that would make a little more sense, allowing some time to pass...but I thik you're unfortunately wrong on this one... :cry

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I noticed this animation mistake. I just don't care. Yes, Spike is much bigger upon the next scene after his hatching, but I never really let it bother me because it feels like splitting hairs which interrupts the atmosphere.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bruton the Iguanodon

Is he really bigger in the scene after he hatches, like Truttle says? Cause that could allow some time to happen. Due to the fact that multiple people think so, I'm starting to wonder if he actually was the same size which he was born as when he came out of the grass.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Anyways, Kor apparently would like it the way I'd like it too:

http://gangoffive.net/index.php?showtopic=1462

In his second post in this topic he says:

I noticed that. I guessed they did that since Spike may not have been able to keep up with the large Littlefoot and Cera, and was to big to ride on one of their backs like Ducky and Petrie could do, so they sorta did a poof he's their size. Though they should have come up with a better solution. Maybe something like finding him sorta like Ducky found Littlefoot, and they found Petrie.

Which would have made everything so much more better. You know, I think it's thanks to him I started thinking about this alternate solution! Thanks, Kor! Now, if only you had been on the team for the movie...

Again, I want to bring up Malte's preceding quote...

Did you realize how Spike's size multiplied in the first few seconds after his birth? I think that at the end of his hatching scene he ended up four or five times (possibly more) the size he must have had the moment of the hatching.

Like I said before, almost as creepy as this phenomenon is that no one seems to realize that at all. What happened between the moment of his hatching...and the moment he steps out of the grass? It's a mere 7 seconds, and yet in those 7 seconds something important must have happened. But what?!

It's killing me not to know.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think the movie would be a little more boring if they just found him like they found the other characters. Having to hatch one of the Gang was interesting, and also introduced him to be different than the other characters.

Spike just fattening up in 2 seconds isn't that weird to me. Remember, we're talking movie logic here. It doesn't always make sense, and it doesn't have to. :p
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
R.I.P. :p
Seriously, dinosaurs were not able to talk human language Bruton. Wouldn't that be so basic an "error" that it should shreder you if Spike's fast growing is sufficient to kill you? And if not, is there any chance that there may be a kind of "logic failures" that are not causing any harm to get worked up about?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Feb 21 2012 on  12:57 AM
Like I said before, almost as creepy as this phenomenon is that no one seems to realize that at all. What happened between the moment of his hatching...and the moment he steps out of the grass? It's a mere 7 seconds, and yet in those 7 seconds something important must have happened. But what?!

I doubt anything important happened. This is a movie, Bruton. It's not going to be completely logical. Things like this are bound to happen and they don't really serve any real importance. I doubt the people behind the movie had any reason to make Spike get bigger other than for plot convenience.

Bruton the Iguanodon

But Kor thinks it would have worked too!

I noticed that. I guessed they did that since Spike may not have been able to keep up with the large Littlefoot and Cera, and was to big to ride on one of their backs like Ducky and Petrie could do, so they sorta did a poof he's their size. Though they should have come up with a better solution. Maybe something like finding him sorta like Ducky found Littlefoot, and they found Petrie.

Why can't Spike be the same age as the rest?!  :cry

And did anything go on in the bushes? Or not?

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll try to get you to understand what we're all telling you. This is a work of fiction. FICTION! It doesn't have to make sense.

Heck, it's impossible for Shartooth to have survived that huge fall. Petrie smacking though the hard and cracked ground in his intro scene SHOULD have killed him. What Malte brought up about the dinosaurs speaking human language also fits here. (Actually, that's pretty interesting. Don Bluth originally wanted there to be no voice acting in the movie at all and for it to be more dark and realistic than it turned out being.) Heck, this doesn't even make any sense, because the dinosars in this movie are from different points in history. They didn't all exist at the save time even!

But like I said, this is a work of FICTION, and it should be enjoyed as such. Asking questions like this is good and all, but sometimes you just have to accept the fact that the creators did it that way to make the movie better and more entertaining. A lot of times you don't NEED an explanation for something, it's just there because it wouldn't work a different way as well.
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
EDIT: Now returning to your regularly scheduled program, "Attack of the Deadly Double-Post Glitch: The Revenge!"
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Feb 21 2012 on  10:27 AM
And did anything go on in the bushes? Or not?
I'll repeat myself. Nothing probably happened in the bushes. I don't think anything happened at all. As pointed out, this movie is fictional. It doesn't have to make sense. Movies tend to bend the rules to make itself more interesting. Another prime example is Mufasa's death from The Lion King. That fall should have splattered him all over the floor. There wouldn't even be much of a body left. But the creators of the film knew they couldn't do that, especially being a kids' movie, so they altered it. So while it no longer makes sense logically, it helps to improve the movie.

Really, there's no reason for you to get worked up over something that might not have happened, nor is it wise for you to try to make logical sense out of something that doesn't need an explanation. It's a movie, and as I said, movies don't make sense all the time. Rules are bent, and things are unexplainable. It doesn't make the movie worse, though, because something like Spike getting bigger in a matter of seconds is not such a dramatic change that it detracts from the entire movie.

Bruton the Iguanodon

But yet no one's answered this: Why can't Spike be the same age as the rest?! dino_sad.gif  And like Kor suggested, "
Though they should have come up with a better solution. Maybe something like finding him sorta like Ducky found Littlefoot, and they found Petrie. "

That would solve everything, and make the gang closer then ever, by having them all be relatively the same age. I mean, if you missed just that part of movie 1 you'd think Spike was relatively the same age as the rest.

We never saw this period for Spike though who didn't live through whatever time may have elapsed between Littlefoot's hatching and his first talking in the original movie.

How much time did pass? It's killing me. Spike should have lived through that time period.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
How much time did pass? It's killing me. Spike should have lived through that time period.

Haven't we discussed this before?