The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I just saw the final part of the trilogy that was made out of the hobbit. Same as with The Desolation of Smaug I went in with fairly low expectations and by doing so I could enjoy the movie for not expecting to much from it. If one watches the hobbit movies (any of them) with the expectation of it being particularly faithful to Tolkien's work or with the expectation of them living up to the quality and the impression left by the lord of the rings movies one is almost bound to be painfully disappointed.
If one can keep out those expectations and watch it as a product in its own right it is a movie that can be enjoyed if not taken too seriously.
Same as the previous Hobbit movies the final one does include some very spectacular images and in some parts an impressive choreography. That later point however is also a weakness of the movie since it totally overdoes it in an attempt to appear epic for it. Unfortunately the result is mostly the opposite. Again we see orcs getting slaughtered at such a scale by elves that one must almost question if the killing rate does not sort of question the concept of who exactly the good and the bad guys are (this impression is further increased by the fact that the elven king Thranduil comes across as a total douche).
In combat elves (so long they are no "anonymous armor wearing dudes" = canonfodder) would fit as Marvel superhero cartoons with no real claim to realism but not so much into a Tolkien setting of fantastic realism. Admittedly they had the same problem already in the lord of the rings movies but for some reason they always seem to be been on trying to top the impression of total superiority of the "good guys" over the "bad guys" to the point where it becomes ridiculous. Same as sharpteeth in later LBT movies the orcs in this movie rarely come across as a threat.

CAREFUL THERE ARE SPOILERS NOW WHICH WOULD NOT BE GIVEN AWAY BY TOLKIEN'S BOOK

None of the "good" characters invented only for the movie and not being part of the book dies. I had been pretty sure that Tauriel (whom they had brought up to include an (in my opinion) rather cheesy love story between Legolas, her and Kili) was to be a Qui gonner, but in spite of the fact that she is pretty much used as a sledgehammer to tear down surprisingly fragile solid stone structures she survieves with just a few scratches being more scarred by the death of Kili (which had been part of the original story though not laid out as much as in the movie). On the other hand there are helmed orcs dying from headbutts by a bareheaded dwarf (Dain) and in one scene two of the dwarves announce they are going to take on a group of hundred orcs and NOBODY even gives and hint that they might get hurt in the process (of course they don't).
Appart from the harmlessness of the orcs the movie also somewhat suffers from the same degree of having been streched out for too long. The hobbit just wasn't meant to be a trilogy. On the other hand some scenes that would have been interesting were once again avoided / changed for the worse (in my opinion).
Anyone hoping to see more of Beorn will be disappointed. You are not going to see more of him than him getting dropped by an eagle and transforming into a bear while falling but not more of a fight of him (ignoring the fact that in the book he is not only the one to save the mortaly wounded Thorin from the orcs but also the one to kill the orcish chiftain who has been replaced by Azoc in these movies).
The subplots invented for the movie also seriously interfere with the continuity of the story as it feels a bit like the main battle is left on behalf of a kind of commando mission carried out by Thorin to kill Azoc.

One thing I found quite interesting was the way they depicted the Nazgul in a not quite coporal form at Dol Guldur. I think that their depiction was inspired to some degree by the appearance they had in the 1970s cartoon version of the lord of the rings when Frodo put on the ring. Whatever else I may think of the scene as such, I kind of liked their appearance.

So yeah, there is a lot that could be improved in my opinion and a lot that was done poor without any understandable reason. A lot of time in the movie was wasted that could have been used better. Nonetheless I don't regret having seen it. If one can watch it without comparing it to the book or the lord of the rings movies one can enjoy it (not as a master piece but as something that is okay) if one cannot and if one gets angry about movies not living up to high expectations one may want to avoid seeing it.
The elves and men in the movie are a lot more aggressive against Thorin than in case of the book

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
So, in other words, all I have to keep my standards abysmally lower and routinely beat myself in the head with a hammer to low my IQ, and this film will be brilliant to me.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I hope I didn't have to lower my IQ (in any case no hammer or other form of self-injury was involved) to get myself to move my expectations away from Tolkien's work and see the movie as if it was only that, a movie without any previous work it was based on.  
Last Saturday I did a three hours presentation on the life and the works of J.R.R. Tolkien (so please don't think that I didn't care about his actual work) but seeing that I wouldn't gain anything from getting all worked up about what I don't like about the movie (something I really don't need at the moment) I am going with the positive aspects, name the aspects I didn't like (did so in my post) but do not allow for the later to make me feel too bad.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm bitter. Very, very bitter. I live in a world where I will never see a faithful adaptation to The Hobbit, meaning I will never have an alternative to Peter Hackson's drivel. I'm going to be very, very bitter for a very, very long time. Get used to it.

I understand that you are more forgiving than me, but don't expect me to ever forgive Hacker for what he has done.

I've given up after the second episode, which so distorted the essence of the original book so much that it was beyond laughable. An overlong fight scene between the mechanical over enunciated Smaug and Bilbo was the final straw. The film spent so much time on moronic fight scenes when they SHOULD have been including things that actually happened in the book.

I did a good job convincing myself after part one that as flawed as it was it was passable but the thought of coming back for a second helping of Smaug just felt like one step towards the walking dead. Some of the ndividual performances stood out but overall it was a waste of some great actors and everyone's time. I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings films, which for the most part got it right with some minor annoyances such as the changes to Faramir. But the hobbit has just been one big disappointment.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I recall how very annoyed I was about the changes done to Faramir in the Two Towers back then. In retrospect however I well understand why they conducted those changes as the long exchange of pleasantries betweeen Frodo and Faramir in the book might have come across as somewhat tedious for a movie. More importantly however Faramir has so extremely easy a time to discard the temptation of the ring (saying that he would not pick it up if he saw it lying beside the road) that it somewhat disenchants the ring that tempts even so powerful and integer a character as Galadriel. What really did annoy me (and still does) about the lord of the rings movies was the depiction of Denethor as almost a villain (rather than one driven into insanity by Sauron) and his death in particular. For those changes I didn't see any of the justifiable reasons that make me think less harsh about the changes done to Faramir now.
I'm sorry it is all giving you such a hard time and I do see why it would. What images your own imagination can evoke based on the works of Tolkien is something however that nobody can take from you WR :)
By the way, do you know the graphic novel / comic book adaptation of the Hobbit that was made in the late 80s?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Faramir: hold on here. I never said they had to be exactly on the dot with Faramir. What I meant about "changes" is that the whole point of his character is that he is very different from his brother and father, who both viewed The Ring as a means to an end. Plus, Faramir WAS TAUGHT BY GANDALF.

Yes, I understand that Faramir needed to struggle with The Ring's temptation on screen. My issue is that he gives in without so much as a struggle. Boromir held out longer before giving in!
Instead of just having Faramir go fully into "delivery the Ring to dad" mode without so much a second thought, they should have kept him on the fence. I'd have loved a scene where he muses about the ramifications of it, desperately trying to decide what to do. And at the end he eventually comes to the conclusion that Frodo needs to continue his quest. This way, neither The Ring nor Faramir get diminished from what they were. This way, we still have Faramir as Boromir's wiser brother, and we still have The Ring tempting him.

Denethor had the unfortunate fate of being crammed into the last volume. Yes, everything you just said is true... Doesn't make the butchery of Faramir's character any less stupid.

Maybe Hackson can't take The Hobbit from me, but all I wanted to begin with was a good Hobbit movie that was as like the book as a movie could get. I wasn't asking much, and somehow that arrogant pig failed to deliver on every imaginable level. Just the sheer egotism required to think that he could tell Tolkien's story better than Tolkien is mind-boggling. How dare he.
The thing is, by the time The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, was released, I had waited 22 years of my life for the big budget live-action THE HOBBIT movie. 22 YEARS. Ages 5 to 27. Alright, An Unexpected Journey wasn't perfect, but it was very close to the spirit of fun and adventure from the book. Then Part 2 came out ruined everything. This is "Santa isn't real" all over again for me.
You know, I almost wish Hackson had gone with the idea to just make two Lord of the Rings films. That way I'd have known not to let my guard down. I'd have known not to give him any respect. He doesn't deserve it. Not anymore. I'm not giving Hackson any nickle or minute of my time ever again, not unless he fixes what he broke with The Hobbit.

A comic book adaptation just isn't the same and even if I managed to track it down, it won't soften the blow of the disappointment I'm feeling.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i will see the film when it comes out late this week and will give my opinion on it after i see it. i hope it will be better than desolation was, seriously trying to cover a dragon whose fire can undo magic rings in liquid metal is not a good plan. better to have had them flee to the outside then run back in while smaug scours the countryside for them.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like I may shy away from getting the dvd of the 2nd movie.  & maybe this one as well.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love how Legolas just ran up those falling rocks like that.  He's such a good Fast Runner that he's made Ruby jealous!