The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Newspapers

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I am wondering how many of you and who read newspapers on regular basis or have access to newspapers (e.g. if your parents get them but you don't read them yourself). There is a reason for me to ask about this but first I'm just curious about how many of you read newspapers at all, which newspapers they are, and how frequent access you have to them.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't care about reading the newspaper, unless I'm just looking at the weather or what's playing, and even then I can just go online to do that. My dad looks at the newspaper, but usually just for the sports section, and nowadays it's rare for us to get the paper anymore anyway.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I voted: Yes, on daily basis.

That is, if there is a news paper (sometimes it does not get delivered). I always try to pick it up before I go to school and scan through the news items there are in the paper. It's a lot quicker for me than listening to the news. If an article interests me I read it later that day.

There's no newspaper on sunday here, but that's alright :) I read this paper, if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algemeen_Dagblad . I do not prefer one paper over the other, I just read what my parents have got as a newspaper :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Nope.  Newspapers are so wasteful when you get get a nice backlit screen to read all your news on and it doesn't cost nearly as many resources.  Or of course you could always watch the news.  But no, I don't even know how to read a newspaper or where stuff is.  Same story goes for phone books (though I at least know that the stuff is alphabetical, I've never personally used a phone book before).

I have nothing against paper books.  I prefer them over the computer and e-readers myself.  But that's different.  A newspaper is just something you're going to read then likely throw away as the information is no longer relevant.  You're very likely to read a book again one day if it's good.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yes - once a week on Sunday, otherwise no, I don't get newspapers.  No reason to pay for them when the paper company has a website to review  and read about local news. ;)  For free too.  Only reason I actually read a Sunday paper is because I'm with my parents on some weekends and we will talk about some of the articles.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Bah! Why read the newspaper when you can read it online? I haven't seen the paper boy
lately.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I only get the local Sunday paper, and that is for the weekly coupons and sale ads :p.  I'm a kid at heart, so I admit I enjoy the Sunday funnies :lol.

After I'm done with the paper, it gets added to the paper pile I use for the bottom of my bird's cage.  Makes cleaning the cage much easier ;).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm not out to start a newspaper versus online kind of debate (admittedly it is mostly online news for me too for the time being), but I rather I have a somewhat concrete interest in who of our American members in particular have regular access to newspapers and which newspapers that would be. Some of you may be able to guess what this question might come down to.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I don't tend to go out of my way to get a daily newspaper but if my folks happen to bring one home or if there's one left on a train I'll probably pick it up. I do tend to watch the news when I get up in the morning (coz that's pretty much all that's on before 9am). I said Yes but only once a week.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I'm a journalist so I kind of have to read every newspaper I can find. When I used to work in a national radio I spent the firts hours of the day (from 8 to 9 a.m.) just browsing the newspapers looking for interesting subjects to develop on the hourly news. Since I left I kind of changed that habbit. The place where I work now doesn't get any newspapers delievered so I have to go to a newsstand and just skim through them before work.

There have been a lot of studies about how the printed press is slowly dying out. I think that online is the way to go, however, paper will always be available. Not everyone can afford an iPad or one of the new tablets or smartphones out there. We're still a long way away from giving up on paper all together. And remember it's the printed press that does most of the investigation reporting nowadays. Without it most of the major scoops would just be swept under the rug.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I get the vast majority of my news online (usually CNN, its the closest thing we have to a neutral major network here).  But I do read the school paper here maybe 4 times a week on average, usually when I go to lunch between class

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Most news I get is either from CNN or online. I do read the local/campus newspapers at W&M.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't read newspapers, they are too boring and depressing for me. And even if I wanted to read some news, then there's the Internet for that.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How often I read the newspaper( we get it from Monday to Saturday) depends on how much time and interest I have to read it.
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Never it's a waste of money and time to read the news paper.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I have to process the newspapers at the library where I work so I at least end up reading the headlines. They still get read by a lot of people who want local news.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Only if it has decent stories in it I'd read it.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
No. I DO try to read a plethora of online new agencies' articles, with the Associated Press being number one for me, and I'll also look at Al Jazeera from time to time as well, to get an outside perspective.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sometimes I like to look at the horror scope in them,

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Please stop posting multiple times in a survey thread. Try to condense your thoughts into one post and not add on seemingly meaningless opinions. You already answered why you don't, and now you're adding in that you do. All that does is serve to muddle the survey. We're going for the mode here, not the spread of how many times one can change their mind.  :slap That's just bordering on spam.

Also, your signature is still way too big.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post