The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 174097

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Anyone could point out a german cel-site, that I found out while digging the old network54 forum if I remember correctly, because it had a load of cels when watched through web archive. For example the scene after drowning sharptooth was there in better quality than posted here. I don't think I went fully through it and forgot about it.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Well, I may have some news.

I have a burnt disc in my basement that has some scenes I clearly remember from this movie: (like the one where the gang uses berries to lure Spike, as well as the scene with Ducky making faces at Sharptooth). The disc also has movie 2-7 on it. I'm going to watch it and see if it has some of those cut scenes. I believe my uncle gave me the burnt disc to me when I was little, maybe 10 years ago.

(BTW, could I get the file on the burnt disc onto my computer somehow? I may be able to have the cut scenes fully English and ready to watch)!
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Mar 2 2016 on  11:56 AM
Good luck!  ^^spike
Sadly, none of these scenes were on the disc :( but I still remember those scenes from something, but I don't know where I saw it, but I know it was in a copy of the movie.

Still, I hope something comes up someday, and I hope I see these scenes at some point in my life ^^spike
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I just noticed something that could be a clue to a possible scene. Notice when they are scavenging for trees with leaves and Littlefoot asks Petrie if he can fly, it's shot at a bizarre dutch angel and from a distance, as if a perspective shot of something watching them. We know there was some deleted footage here, so I just thought I'd bring it up.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmmmm, interesting. Someone else may bring this up again, hopefully we can find something. Again though, most interesting...

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Found on TLBT.org.

http://i0.wp.com/thelandbeforetime.org/wp-...2016/03/1-7.jpg

Not sure what this scene was supposed to be about but it must have been early in the movie since it looks like Littlefoot's mother is still alive. What do you think of it?
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
I think that's just a cel of a scene on a different background.

I've seen some of the animation cels on different backgrounds then the ones from the actual film

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The background looks like that scene where Cera slides down into the big underground...
Inactive, probably forever.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I found a copy of the McDonalds VHS on eBay. according to several sources I found online, it contains some of the removed scenes. I don't know if anyone else has already checked this copy of the movie, but it was only 6 bucks so I just bought it lol.

Once I get it and a VHS player, I will take a look at it. Not getting my hopes up, sadly.

EDIT: Just got the package and checked the runtime. It says 1 hour, 9 minutes so there's probably nothing there as far as extended scenes. When i pick up a VHS player i will pop it in and verify. The box is still factory-sealed from original release!

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tyrannosaur,Apr 24 2016 on  03:46 AM
I found a copy of the McDonalds VHS on eBay. according to several sources I found online, it contains some of the removed scenes. I don't know if anyone else has already checked this copy of the movie, but it was only 6 bucks so I just bought it lol.

Once I get it and a VHS player, I will take a look at it. Not getting my hopes up, sadly.

EDIT: Just got the package and checked the runtime. It says 1 hour, 9 minutes so there's probably nothing there as far as extended scenes. When i pick up a VHS player i will pop it in and verify. The box is still factory-sealed from original release!
Any news on that yet?

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Aug 27 2016 on  02:46 AM
Any news on that yet?
I'm sure that if Tyrannosaur found anything of interest they'd share it with the rest of us. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's always the same story, isn't it? A lot of wind about nothing...

I had a huge drive to find some more info about the outcut scenes some weeks ago, spent hours searching the web for anything, even looked at finnish websites but nothing...

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Aug 28 2016 on  12:52 PM
I had a huge drive to find some more info about the outcut scenes some weeks ago, spent hours searching the web for anything, even looked at finnish websites but nothing...
my every-year tradition...

last time I did it at winter.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Here's the verdict:

A few of the deleted scenes showed up in adverts(such as the Pizza Hut one) and books based on the first film.

Spielberg either has the footage locked in a vault somewhere or it was destroyed all the way back in '87 or '88 when they decided ultimately not to use it.

The idea that there's a tape or recording out there with the alleged Oasis scene is a dubious one, what I've been able to find is that it was probably cut early in the filming process, meaning it would not have been animated or voiced, if it even existed at all.

There here shots that were obviously cut and it can be scene in parts of the film(such as the Forging For Food scene).

What left is there to find? Its really all but speculation now.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Belmont2500,Sep 8 2016 on  10:33 PM
...its was destroyed all the way back in '87 or '88 when they decided ultimately not to use it.
Or maybe it was lost in the Universal Studio lot fire back in 2008. Which is also a sad possibility. :(

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Somebody please tell me:

- why they made, drew, and colored scenes, and only after that they cut them, throwing hard work of animators into trash bin?

- why they had to close eyes on giant work of animators who brought these scenes to life, and DESTROY them, and not include them into behind scenes/extensions, where no scared small children who runs out of cinema hall, crying?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's the verdict:

A few of the deleted scenes showed up in adverts(such as the Pizza Hut one) and books based on the first film.

Spielberg either has the footage locked in a vault somewhere or it was destroyed all the way back in '87 or '88 when they decided ultimately not to use it.

The idea that there's a tape or recording out there with the alleged Oasis scene is a dubious one, what I've been able to find is that it was probably cut early in the filming process, meaning it would not have been animated or voiced, if it even existed at all.

There here shots that were obviously cut and it can be scene in parts of the film(such as the Forging For Food scene).

What left is there to find? Its really all but speculation now.
Yeah, the oasis scene is the most obscure part of the cut scenes. Indeed, we don't even know if it was ever animated to begin with (maybe there are still some storyboards like the ones that had been posted online a while ago from the Sharptooth attack scene?) and for the other scenes.... well, we do know some snippets and most of what was supposed to be on screen. The only thing that's missing is really a full, uncut version of the movie. Not that it's likely to see that... but it's what we're still missing, right?

Somebody please tell me:

- why they made, drew, and colored scenes, and only after that they cut them, throwing hard work of animators into trash bin?

- why they had to close eyes on giant work of animators who brought these scenes to life, and DESTROY them, and not include them into behind scenes/extensions, where no scared small children who runs out of cinema hall, crying?
It's beyond my knowledge :( As far as I know, the cut scenes were considered too scary for children and/or not significant enough so they were cut.
Another possibility is that they cut everything that was about racism (like the oasis scene, the scene where they found Spike or the scene where they're eating the food). All of them had possible racist themes:
1. Oasis scene: Speaks for itself, this scene was there to point out the stupidity of racism. The Gang soon proved that working together despite their differences in species got them food which leads us to:
2. Food scene: We know there's also a decent amount of footage that was cut from the film. In one of the trailers, Ducky is seen hugging Littlefoot and Spike before/while they eat. Who knows what else there might have been in this scene but maybe they talk about that oasis scene which is why it was cut as well. The cut is pretty obvious if you look at the scene by the way...
3. Scene when they find Spike: Well, we do know that Cera wasn't so happy about Spike coming along. This scene had potential for racist talk too so that's probably why it was cut.
That's my theory anyway (part of that has also been mentioned/theoreticised in previous discussion I do believe)

I'm completely calling for this as well, Snik. Such masterpieces of art that were made with so much love, passion and, of course, countless hours of work, simply mustn't be thrown away. Why they didn't include it as bonus material, only heaven knows...  :(petrie