The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 174322

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
It also may had something to do with runtime restrictions.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It also may had something to do with runtime restrictions.
You mean that they shortened the film because of the attention span of children being rather... short?

Well, it's also a possible explanation but I'm not sure if this is true for all children. From my experience, if my parents hadn't always told me not to watch TV for too long, I would've spent all day in front of it and my cousins are no exception there. You can leave them alone for hours when they're watching TV and they'll still be watching when you come back :p

Now I'm not sure if this is the kind of attention span we're looking for of course but I've never felt like it is very significant (Even as a kid, I always wished these movies were longer  :lol )
Inactive, probably forever.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Coyote_A,Aug 26 2016 on  03:08 PM
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Aug 27 2016 on  02:46 AM
Any news on that yet?
I'm sure that if Tyrannosaur found anything of interest they'd share it with the rest of us. :)
I definitely would :)

I haven't found a VHS player to test it with yet. When I do, I will check the VHS tape. I'm not hopeful, though. The tape has a runtime of 1 hour, 9 minutes. That's the official runtime for the cut version of the movie.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Well, who knows. Maybe the box cover is lying and it actually has some extra scenes included with the movie itself. ;)

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Sep 13 2016 on  02:58 PM
anyway, still hoping for miracle
Aye, its possible that footage of at least one of the scenes survived.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
I was thinking it might be nice to have a gallery of all the deleted scene fragments.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's time for my every-year useless search for uncut original LBT and other stuff in internets!!! :D
yay!
Wish me luck.

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIINLAAAAAAAND! I"M COMING!!!
side note:http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Land-...id/12169/page/3
Actually, there is a lot of nudity in the movie. Not a single one of the characters in it wears any clothes, and they're mostly children, for Pete's sake.
*Cera makes faceplm*

Side note 2:
Did you know true purpose of creation LBT14?
It was made to free occupied Finland (and Poland) from armies of lbt fans who assaulted and stalked every cetimeter of country for year.

Side note 3:
I think I went insane again...

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Rumors say those are gone for good that the deleted Sences can't be located. But I wish you luck on trying to find them.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I wonder how long this movie would have been if none of the scenes were cut during production at all. I'd say the movie would be ten times better than it already is if it had all the cut scenes. All I can do is try to picture the stills or the completely cut stuff (like the 19 seconds that were cut from the Mama Longneck vs Sharptooth fight) that we've got and try to picture them in the movie in my head...
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe an hour and twenty nine minutes or a bit longer or less. It's a shame that we'll never see the cut footage of this movie.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
honestly, since I had nightmares about Sharptooth in childhood, if ll scenes were in film, I think I would really be scared and feel uneasy more.
But it doesn' matter, since creators could just release full uncut version for more adult auditory.

BUT WHAT THEY DID TO IT INSTEAD IS UNFORGIVABLE!!!
:/

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hopefully they do release it soon it would Be awesome if they did

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yep, yep, yep :(
Inactive, probably forever.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jun 7 2017 on  03:47 PM
Yep, yep, yep :(
I even have a video where I'm screaming "I WILL SUE WITH SPIELBERG AND LUCAS!!!"

I so want to contact with someone like mr. Pudleiner and ask for posting more productional storyboards at least...

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Jun 7 2017 on  04:03 AM
Hopefully they do release it soon it would Be awesome if they did
Don Bluth said it was lost, so it most likely won't be released as an uncut film or anything.

I was thinking that someone could rearrange the scenes from the film to (somewhat) replicate the original ending. They could screen record the film for themselves, and then edit and rearrange the scenes from the recorded video to replicate the original ending. They would mostly just have to move the scene where Littlefoot finds the Great Valley by himself and place it in between the scene where he goes a different direction than his friends and where he comes to rescue them. The cut bits though (like the 39 seconds ((I believe)), the part where he tells his friends that he found the Great Valley, and the parts where he further explains the reasons why they must kill Sharptooth ((possibly)) ) obviously cannot be fit in. I guess all we get is the soundtrack of those scenes  :neutral
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Here is the response from that e-mail that Sovereign sent to Mark Pudleiner:

I asked the one of the owners and producer Gary Goldman.
This is his reply.
- Mark

" Though it was approved at the storyboard stage. It was at a screening in April or May of 1988 just 6 months before completion of the film at a a 20th Century Fox theater in Soho Square, London, with just Don, John, me, Steven and his first wife and George in one of the small 30 seat theaters. The problem is that when it was edited, cutting 19 scenes out - including audio, by one of Steven’s favorite editors at Pinewood Studios in England, it was mainly the T-Rex shots (scenes to me) of full head shots with wide open mouths, attacking into the lens of the camera at the child dinosaurs as they took cover in the briars. However, it was less than a minute lost sections of the T-Rex attack and the kids. Steven and George both felt that those scenes would have triggered an audience of 4 and 5 year olds crying and having their mothers and fathers holding them in their arms in the lobby waiting for a safe time to take their kids back to their seats. Those cuts remained, the tiny short cuts were taped together and rolled and we took them back to Dublin. However, we never saved the prints or the negatives for those scenes, all were animated and cleaned up, many of which were in color.
The additional 10+ minutes of cuts came after we finished the film. Steven and the same editor, who had been fast-tracked to get a green card, to move to Burbank and work with Spielberg there at Amblin on the Universal lot on other projects. Steven continued to edit the film to be sure it would not disturb parents or their children. I believe we delivered an 80 to 82 minute film including all credits. The final edited length was 69 minutes, the same as Bambi (1942).
Best,

Gary "

Alright, so, we learned some things from the message sent to Mr. Pudleiner:

- He asked producer Gary Goldman, strangely. Pudleiner was an animator for the film, so it's odd since you'd think he'd have some knowledge of this stuff himself. It's almost like our response was from him and not Pudleiner...

- Goldman had confirmed when the Sharptooth scenes were first cut out- April or May of 1988, just a mere six or seven months before release. This makes me think that if the film wasn't delayed in 1987 from late 1987 to late 1988, maybe the scenes would have been in the film if it was released then?
   - The scenes WERE approved in the storyboard stage, but at a screening at a 20th Century Fox theater in Soho Square, London, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas had felt that the Sharptooth scenes would be too scary for children, and that their parents would have to carry them into the lobby before eventually returning them to their seats.
   - The cut parts of the scene with Sharptooth attacking the children was under a minute in length.
   - We also learned where these cuts happened, at Pinewood Studios in England.
   - These Sharptooth cuts were taken back to Dublin, but weren't saved unfortunately. Many of them were actually fully animated and in color! That is something new. Currently, we only have the storyboard drawings from mostly the thorn scene, and a couple of cels, but I had no idea in the slightest that most were actually animated! I thought they were cut pretty early on, but I guess not :)
This might mean that the long-rumored scene of Sharptooth ripping Littlefoot's mother's back open was animated. It does excite me a little, as it may be possible that all the fully animated scenes may be found someday :D

- The rest of the 10+ minutes of cuts were done after completion of the film (meaning mostly all the cuts happened after the soundtrack was created). But how many minutes total were cut from the soundtrack? We should check AMCAlmaron's analysis for that, as he did some really great searching for where and when lost scenes may have happened in the film.

- Goldman said that the original runtime was to be 80-82 minutes. That means 11-13 minutes must have been cut, not 10!

If I missed anything, or said something that was off, please tell me and I will fix it.
Thanks to Mark Pudleiner, Gary Goldman, and of course fellow member Sovereign for composing the message in the first place!  :)littlefoot

Wow, that was long, someone better thank me for this analysis  :p

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great job in summing up the message's main points, Hypnobrai!  :yes It is a good idea to gather every piece of information we have about the scenes and this one pretty much says everything we discovered. Also, good job in updating the wiki!

Wow, that was long, someone better thank me for this analysis  dino_tongue.gif

Well, thanks because you asked...  :p No, really, you deserve the thanks for this great summary!  :)

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, that's what I'm there to do on the wiki  ;)
Ever since I joined, I've been making sure I get as much info on there about the scenes as I can, and removing false information, but I can't forget about the Sharptooth articles  :p
As you know I care for my sharpteeth over there.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: tad10,Aug 31 2015 on  05:13 PM
Found these two new sharptooth cels...

another cut scene at the end...?!

dunno where this one fits in but its a Don Bluth original cel!
I'm gonna just say something so nobody is forever confused. That second cel isn't a cut scene for sure. It's the part where Sharptooth is sliding down towards Littlefoot and Cera during the earthquake, here.