The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Original Soundtrack for LBT

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
so recently i was listening to the original score for The Land Before Time by James Horner. i picked it up quite awhile ago for stupidly expensive, paid the equivalent of about 100 dollars for it.

after hearing it outside the movie, though, i realize just what an amazing music score it is. it was done for what is classified as a kids movie, and it can easily hold its own against some top movie scores, like Lord of the Rings etc.

anyone have any particular feelings about it? in my opinion it is one of the most amazing musical scores ever created, and just about the only thing ive heard that has topped it or come close, in an animated movie is the Lion King's score.

my respect to James Horner for bringing such a realistic score to one of the best animated movies ever; The Land Before Time.

Peace.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The original LBT music is timeless.  I must admit that I haven't listened to it (except in the movie) for quite a long time but if I remember correctly, I quite enjoyed listening to it.  I have the original soundtrack somewhere on one of my servers....but I don't know where it is right now.  Maybe I'll go find and listen to it. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I've been a long advocate of the score because its comparable to a quiet and mellow symphony in many of the movements, notably Whispering Winds.  I can't speak much for the price except that people really like this score and aren't parting with it.  If you read around, LBT is classified as one of Horner's best scores for a film, and you wouldn't even know this was a score for an animated film.

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
I bought the soundtrack on audio cassette back in '89. (Yes, I actually still have music on cassette and -- horrors! -- LP's and 45's :lol )
James Horner has always been one of my favorite movie composers. Next to LBT I've played Titanic SD so many times to count.  Love Whispering Winds and the opening sequence. Very beautiful, very timeless. The local NPR station here, years ago on its classical program, played selections from LBT. I believe our symphony orchestra has performed LBT music, too. :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have it myself, and I agree completely!
It's a incredibly beautiful score. I don't know much more to say.
It's just... very special.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've the original soundtrack for the first movie and do like and enjoy the music quite a bit indeed.

RFZT

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm listening to it right now. HA.

I LOVE the score for the original movie. It's incredibly moving and VERY well done. Whatever sort of music is playing fits perfectly with whatever was going on at that moment. It had the ability to make you cry (Whispering Winds and Discovery of the Great Valley), it had the ability to make you smile, it had the ability to make you sit bolt upright in your seat and stay intent to the movie. Heck, I'm crying just LISTENING to Whispering Winds.

Also, the music is so gripping and well-done, it had me hooked even when I was like, three. Some of you may have seen me claiming to have cried when Littlefoot's mom died when I was three. Well...it's true. It was the first movie death, first movie ANYTHING that I ever cried at, and part of it was because of the music.

I also have always remembered the bit near the end, where Cera takes them all the wrong way and they have to save Petrie from the tar pit. The music was so intense and fitting to the situation, and that's why I've always remembered that bit, even though I've watched the second movie approximately 47543065823572 more times than the original.

Basically, Horner is a genius. Like someone else said, the only movie score I've listened to that rivals this is The Lion King.

• Spike
    • View Profile
what i like is that it can be downloaded streaght from youtube

here is a link to the playlist LBT score

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I also have the original soundtrack. Its excellent, though a much better listen when actually accompanied by the movie. The music fits each scene perfectly and "If We Hold Together" is to die for!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: 812558,Mar 19 2009 on  08:13 PM
what i like is that it can be downloaded streaght from youtube

here is a link to the playlist LBT score
Compression kills in this case.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Original soundtrack...

It fits perfectly to the action.
Especially emotional scenes, where the music fits so perfectly, that they can leave one in tears are:
- the death of Littlefoots Mother  :cry
- when Littlefoot finds the Great Valley

The soundtrack is the best thing in the whole movie imo, maybe the sequels hadn't been made, if the soundtrack had been worse...

Whenever I listen to the soundtrack, some scenes appear in my imagination, while listening to it(e.g. the "don't step on a crack..." scene and the scene with the little flyers fighting for the cherry.

the original soundtrack is just awesome :yes
Inactive, probably forever.