The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How to train Your Dragon

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Mar 19 2010 on  11:20 PM
just so long as it isn't like Titanic the Animated Musical. PLEASE NO RAPPING DOGS!!
I agree with that and I don't want to see any magic stones that can let you talk to animals like that other animated titanic musical.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Apr 3 2010 on  02:20 PM
just so long as it isn't like Titanic the Animated Musical. PLEASE NO RAPPING DOGS!!
I agree with that and I don't want to see any magic stones that can let you talk to animals like that other animated titanic musical.
What what WHAAAAATTT!!! A magic stone...that lets you talk to animals...in a Titanic movie?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Apr 3 2010 on  07:10 PM
What what WHAAAAATTT!!! A magic stone...that lets you talk to animals...in a Titanic movie?
Yep, that was my reaction too when I heard it.  It's true, unfortunately.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Apr 4 2010 on  02:20 AM
I watched this movie a few days ago in 3D; don't worry guys, there are no such things. :p

Though I gotta admit, Toothless kinda looks like Stitch... :lol

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^
It might have something to do with the fact that the same guy directed Lilo and Stitch.  Anyway, I just got back from seeing the movie and I enjoyed it.  I'll definately be buying it on DVD when it comes out.  I thought Toothless was adorable.  I definately recommend seeing it.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Saw it a while ago in 2d. It was pretty good overall. The most annoying part isn't with anything in the movie itself, but the fact it has almost NOTHING to do with the book. Just the names and locations, really. The book is waaaaay waaaay better. Nothing special plot wise, the trailer played things up a bit...

There's a creative little twist at the end, though, that plays on the "oh no he is dead oh wait he's alive!" trope. Otherwise, it was fairly cliche, but not overblown... and as such, it was enjoyable and fun.

In the end though, I liked it, and I'll be getting it on Blu-ray for certain when it comes out.

I thought Toothless was adorable.

My sister was like "OH MY GOSH HE'S SO CUUUUUUTE <3", but I do agree. The different dragons were a breath of fresh air as compared to your typical western dragons, what with all the cool designs they came up with (especially when Hiccup is flipping through that "dragon fighting" book, there's some cool dragons in there). I personally thought the big guy at the end was AWESOME, tons of eyes and huuuuge... and then he EXPLODED!

Possible sequel, too. But to be honest, I hope they don't...

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So I just saw this movie earlier today. I've gotta say I'm surprised by how good it was. I really thought it was just going to be your generic, run of the mill Dreamworks flick but...dang! The animation was really impressive and a lot of it looked awfully real.

Sorry Jittery but I thought the trailers didn't do this movie any justice. They really didn't make this movie look as good as it was. If anything, I would say they downplayed it by alot.

But yeah I take back all the crap I said previous to the movie's release. I was surprised by how dark some of it was and the love intrest wasn't even half as annoying as I thought she'd be(thank God they dropped the valley girl talk from the trailers). And I gotta admit, Toothless was actually pretty cool!

The only thing I couldn't stand was how they made the characters spell everything out for the audience. Yeah some of it may not make sense to the younger kids but still...

So yes, very good movie. I'd actually go as far as to say that this is to the current generation what LBT is to ours. Now if only Dreamworks were to continue doing movies like this...

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
First ill say this:

i am a huge fan of anything Pixar. i love all their movies. only ones i havent seen is Finding Nemo and A Bug's Life.

i also tend to avoid Dreamworks movies. the only ones ive seen are Over the Hedge and How to Train your Dragon.

i saw this on sunday, didnt know what to expect or anything, just that it was getting good reviews...

now i will dare say, this movie is on par, if not better than most of what Pixar has offered so far. it is incredible.

everything in the movie is so well done. its a basic plot, but its told with such a level of care and detail that it is simply an amazing experience.

the movie is only enhanced even further by the soundtrack. this is one of the best movie soundtracks ive ever heard, especially the track named "Test Drive". i dare say, also that it rivals the quality of the Lion King and TLBT's soundtrack.

this is NOT your typical Dreamworks movie, filled with high profile voice actors and a ton of cultural references.

i highly recommend this movie to everyone, of all ages. go see it in 3D. i highly doubt you'll leave the theater feeling disappointed.

peace

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Indeed this was a good movie and I look forward to buying the DVD.  On a side note, I went and bought a Night Fury action figure.  He's currently on my shelf next to Subject Delta and Master Chief. :D

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Apr 22 2010 on  10:26 PM
Indeed this was a good movie and I look forward to buying the DVD.  On a side note, I went and bought a Night Fury action figure.  He's currently on my shelf next to Subject Delta and Master Chief. :D
oh my god. where did you buy this action figure? i must know!!! :D

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I bought it at Wal-Mart.  I got the big one with the wings that slide back.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I saw the movie some days ago. It¥s just awesome. It¥s better than avatar in my opinion. I like all the dreamworks movies, and this is just another awesome movie of them. It has a good storyline, the characters have alot of detail and the voice actors in german are awesome. I really loved this movie, one of my new favourites so far :)

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
Dang.  Reading all these comments I wish I had gone to see it in theaters.     :(  I have to rent it when it comes out.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Being a fan of the depiction of good dragons, I was planning to see this movie the minute I heard about it. Let's see...I loved Toothless and the dragon characters, found some of Hiccup's actions annoying (for the first half or so of the film I found myself siding with Gobber and Stoick more often...at least when he was asking questions in the middle of training), and the ending caught me off guard. I plan to buy the DVD as soon as it comes out.

I have to ask though, was I the only person who didn't go "...um" when Stoick gives Hiccup the "matching" helmet? I was looking at it from the Viking's POV and I honestly agreed with Stoick; it's a memento; and it keeps the memory of the mother close.

I also noted how people point out how the Toothless of the book is a completely different dragon from the one in the movie. Well, I came up with a vague (more like a WMG) answer to that solution. Toothless, in the books, is Hiccup's dragon, but not his riding dragon. A larger dragon named Windwalker fills that role. In the movie, a Terrible Terror with Book-Toothless' colouring is fed by Hiccup, and it later goes to sleep by him. My answer? Swap the names, and continue from there. Hiccup later adopts the Terrible Terror, dubs it Windwalker, and he acts as a delivery dragon for him. Canon Equilibrium Restored.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: General Grievous,Jun 27 2010 on  02:01 AM
Dang.  Reading all these comments I wish I had gone to see it in theaters.     :(  I have to rent it when it comes out.
I was really surprised with how much I liked it. The trailers really didn't do it much justice in my opinion.

Speaking of which, when is it supposed to be released on DVD?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I watched it a short while ago and was quite happy with it.
I have one question to the native English speakers. In the German version some of the vikings (the guy with one hand and one foot in particular) spoke with a strong Hamburgish dialect (which is associated with the sea over here). Did they speak with a special dialect in the English original too and what kind of dialect did they use?

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't wait for the Blu Ray release!

Alexander Rybak is dubbing Hiccups in both the Norwegian and Russian version.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 12 2010 on  01:31 AM
I watched it a short while ago and was quite happy with it.
I have one question to the native English speakers. In the German version some of the vikings (the guy with one hand and one foot in particular) spoke with a strong Hamburgish dialect (which is associated with the sea over here). Did they speak with a special dialect in the English original too and what kind of dialect did they use?
In the American version some of the vikings had thick Scottish accents.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oct. 15 is the North American dvd release  date.  

I found one of my favorite scenes on youtube.  For me it is a very powerful and touching scene. :wub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJoynvxi0aA