The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well, Apple just released its highly secret Ipad.  I gotta say, I'm NOT impressed.  According to Steve Jobs, the Ipad is supposed to be in the middle of an Iphone and an Ibook....sort of like a device to replace the two.  It's just a load of crap.  The Ipad is just an Iphone with a larger screen and slightly faster processor.  If it really was a laptop replacement, give it more than 1.0ghz! :rolleyes: 1.0ghz hasn't been mainstream in PC's for 10 years!  Apple still had 1.0ghz machines in 2003, but that was 7 YEARS AGO!!!  Get a life Apple! :rolleyes: Talk about a cheap way to try to con stupid people out of their hard earned cash.  Now ya gotta buy a laptop, phone, and pad to do the job of a single PC.  Great job Apple.  Let's spend $3,000 instead of $500.  Sounds great for you. :rolleyes

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I didn't see Steve's announcement, and I haven't read about the thing, but yeah, it seems like a giant iPod Touch. Everyone's freakin' out about it, but it looks like a regular tablet PC to me...

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thank you!  Other people do see it!  I've been dealing with apple fanboys all day!  I saw the overview on it my instant reaction was: Thats it?  What a load of crap, why do I want to buy it?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Good lord! I thought you were talking about some other Ipad thing! :slap :bang I won't say what...but yeah.. :oops

I never heard of this until I looked it up. :-/ I guess anyone will do anything for a buck...though I don't have a real opinion of it, since I never used it.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A bit pricey for what it does and it's stats.  Though I guess those that are members of what I call the apple cult will all buy 1 if not several.  I bet they'd buy a Steve Jobs action figure if apple put one out and call it great and revolutionary and such like that.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
this is what bugs me about Apple. they release all this stuff that is really expensive and basic in nature.

i havent seen this new "iPad", but people will buy it simply because its Apple, and Steve Jobs knows this.

very little they do is revolutionary, its all standard stuff.

peace

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tyrannosaur,Jan 28 2010 on  02:29 PM
this is what bugs me about Apple. they release all this stuff that is really expensive and basic in nature.

i havent seen this new "iPad", but people will buy it simply because its Apple, and Steve Jobs knows this.

very little they do is revolutionary, its all standard stuff.

peace
That's exactly what my Marketing instructor said about the new iPad this mornin' :p.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
A marketer's wet dream....nothing more.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Cracked was right...this is exactly like the Godfather trilogy. The iPod and IPhone were great, but this is trash!

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Sorry guys, but none of you have convinced me that it was a "bad" product. I really don't understand the flaming. :p Jeez....

It looks pretty cool and besides, I watched the trailer of it, and it's only $499.00. That really isn't a lot compared to other new advanced technologies. :yes

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If you can afford it easily and it does everything that you want that should be what matters to you, not what others think.  Though one can look at what apple has done in the past an get a good idea of how they'll do things in the future, including with the ipad.

It looks similar to the Touch Book.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Jan 30 2010 on  08:57 PM
Sorry guys, but none of you have convinced me that it was a "bad" product. I really don't understand the flaming. :p Jeez....

It looks pretty cool and besides, I watched the trailer of it, and it's only $499.00. That really isn't a lot compared to other new advanced technologies. :yes

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video
It's underpowered.  It has less power than a $200 netbook and they hyped it up like you wouldn't believe.  It's a toy more than anything else.  And to get the Ipad with any storage at all, it's $799.  Hell, even 64gb is nothing.  It's just a joke.  If they were going to make a usable product, make it 3mm thicker and include a REAL hard drive and an Intel processor that's capable of actually running something!

EDIT:
Oh and if you watch the video of Steve Jobs using it, it lags like you wouldn't believe!  Sure it's perfect in the promotional video.  It's just a simulation.  No one's actually using an Ipad in the video.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's finally happened:

A Madtv joke product ended up being the name of a real product.  :lol

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When is Apple going to stop with this crime of theirs?

They are ripping people off and we know it.  Heck, I can get an HP Desktop with 6 GB of RAM and 640 GB Hard Drive with how much this costs and still have enough left over for one of those 2 TB External Hard Drives.

That's what I'll spend my $1,000 on if I ever feel like it. :)

You know, I bet Microsoft could make something just like it and sell it for a lot less. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, I bet Microsoft could make something just like it and sell it for a lot less. smile.gif

And they almost always do.  Microsoft relies on Apple to invent all the revolutionary stuff.  Then Microsoft comes along and copies it and makes it better.  Why do you think Apple is still around?  Microsoft could wipe them off the face of the planet pretty easily.  They don't want to.  It costs them less to keep Apple alive because then they don't have to pay to be revolutionary. :smile The only thing "revolutionary" that MS has come up with in the past 15 years has been Microsoft Surface.  They quickly allowed Apple to suck it up though, because then Apple can stick it's neck out and risk losing profit before Microsoft comes in and makes something that'll blow everyone's socks off.  Apple has to charge out the a$$ for it's products because that's how Microsoft likes it.  Microsoft is under virtually complete control of Apple.  It's sort of like a puppet state.

Microsoft came out with the Zune, but they really didn't want to continue it.  Not really.  Why?  Because Apple was hurting, they let them take the lead while deceptively making it seem like they're competing with Apple.  I have both a Zune and an Ipod and I gotta admit, the Ipod is a lot better.  MS didn't even try with the Zune.  That's why it's not as good as the Ipod.  Microsoft relies on Apple fanboys just as much if not more than Apple does.  If Apple went under, it would hurt Microsoft.  Now if Apple really heats things up and tries to compete with Microsoft in the PC market, they're dead.  That's why they haven't.  I think Apple's plan is to get big enough by trying to disguise themselves as a "mobile device" company to put Microsoft at ease.  Then they can amass a large enough profit to be able to survive when Microsoft attacks them (for real this time) for being too competitive.