The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I Just Built This Kickass Rig

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I was at Microcenter today and I was trying to pick up a motherboard for an older Dell computer.  It had DDR2 memory and an older AM2 socket.  So anyway I go walking around and I get the help of one of the guys there (they always know the best inside deals and are happy to let you in on them).  I ended up building a kickass rig.  What did it cost me?  Less than $250! :!

The thing is downright amazing.  Let's go over the parts and what I paid for them:

1.  AMD II X4 640 Processor (3.0ghz Quad-Core) - $94.99
2.  Biostar Motherboard (Max 16gb DDR3 memory) - $40.00
3.  Crucial 1066 DDR3 memory (2 x 1gb) - $32 (they had another 4gb for only $50 but I didn't have the cash at the time)
4.  Ruby Red gaming case with window, 480 watt PSU, and a blue lighted case fan - $34
5.  1tb 7200rpm Samsung Spinpoint drive - $59
6.  Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD Burner - $20

Total cost was $249 exactly.  With the extra 4gb of ram (for a total of 6gb) it would only cost $299!  So anyways, on with the video.  This video shows the boot time as well as more explanation of the parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r5fqCMn-aY

Here's a quick picture.  I should mention that the case is NOT bright red in real life.  That's why I can handle it.  It's more like the second picture than the first.

A comparable HP model would run $600 and would only be expandable to 8gb of ram and have a slightly slower processor!  This was an EXCELLENT deal!

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
that was a pretty good deal for what you were getting.

i just put my PC through an upgrade and spent nearly triple that, and i only did the mobo, CPU and RAM lol