The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cars 2.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
So i went and saw Cars 2 on opening day, and i thought it was really great.

One thing i dont get is almost all the critics are slamming it into the ground.

It has a good plot, great animation, great voice acting, although mater's voice (larry the cable guy) you can only take so much of.

I think the problem is people are comparing it to pixar masterpieces like the incredibles or finding nemo.

The cars series from my view, has never been about trying to make something that is the golden egg of theater, but something that wants to be less serious and to have more fun with it.

I wasnt a huge fan of the first cars, but i still liked it alot, and this one is much better i think.

In closing: ignore the critics, go and see the movie and enjoy it for what it is.

WARNING BELOW

try to avoid taking any kid below the age of 8. This may seem odd for a pixar movie, but in short, this movie should not of been rated G. PG at the minimum

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Those critics can kiss my ass.

Cars and its sequel were intended to be lighter fare.

But I will wait until comes out on DVD.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i will probably go see it..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've not seen it yet.  but may.  The thing about Mater is he's the type of character that can be funny if in only a certain amount, but to much and he would be very annoying, at least to me.  

The trailer does look like he'll either be in to much or close to the line, as far as I'm concerned.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I saw it a few days ago.

My conclusion: not Pixar's best work but even then, it is leagues ahead of Shrek 3 and the horrid movie Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

My complaint was that the race seemed like it was awkwardly shoehorned in. I think a straight spin off espionage plot would have worked better.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
My opinion thus far that I probably won't watch except at my Church's preschool or something...
At first, it seemed okay. And then the spies came in...and thought MATER was a spy.
And then they got and make Mater the lead...I think they've overplayed the attention on him. But that's just...jumping the shark.

And they keep advertizing it like McQueen is the lead character too...

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
If I had money than year I'd see it bit I might wait for it to go on DVD. It looks good. But don't have time to see it.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I thought it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the critics are making it out to be. I don't think critics have much point existing as is, as they make their living on criticizing things that others create and build, but what do they themselves create and build? All they do is write something opinion based. While yes, some are writers, a lot aren't, and just like to pick apart others' work. :p It had a good message, and while it didn't quite have that Pixar magic that exists in their previous films, I by no means saw it as a "bad" flick.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The reason critics are hitting on it so hard is because of what they expect with Pixar.

You see, Pixar has high standards when it comes to movies.  They are rather serious to some degrees of aspects and normally circulate around "The Kingdom of 'Nerd-dom'" when it comes to making up a story.

Cars is simply "the odd one out" sort of deal in this case.  Not many nerds are into cars really.  Plus, it kind of has a rather half-baked story.  It doesn't feel all that well thought out like others have.

So yeah, that's the main reason why the Cars franchise gets so much critique.  It just doesn't live up to expectations.

Still, doesn't really mean it's a bad movie and I'll hopefully be able to go see it sometime later this month after I've completely settled in to my new home. :)

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I agree - I was more interested in the espionage plot than anything else in the film, save for the designs of course! Obviously a lot of work went into this film to make a "Cars" version of each country. I mean, they even had the Royal Family in one scene; The Queen herself with Prince Wheeliam (I guess they're of the Royal House Of Windshield, heh heh). And then there's all the Car related gadgets and gizmos that popped up throughout the film; just awesome!

I kept getting bored with the jokes in the film - I just wanted to focus on the serious plot.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like it's a case of it's not a bad movie but not as good as the first movie. At least it's not an awful or bad sequel, which does happen at times.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah it looks good but it also looks kinda dumb. I will see it soon.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just saw it a second time tonight, and for some reason, I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time I saw it. I picked up a lot more this time, and I think in a way it's a lot more clever than I initially gave it credit for. To all the critics who said it feels like it's too geared for younger audiences, I completely disagree now. The concept of "lemon" cars from companies like AMC and such from the 70s would go completely over their heads, as well as much of the spy plot and the political subtleties about finding alternate fuel. And as a more specific example, one of the heads of the "lemon families" was named "Victor Hugo" (or maybe Victor Yugo, but either way...) and he was of course, a Yugo car. Not many kids would get the double reference there. :p Even if by some remote chance they'd know who Victor Hugo was, they wouldn't know what a Yugo car is. :p

I have to say that all three plot arcs were blended really well together, from the Grand Prix to the spy arc to the overarching battle between regular and alternate fuel that tied the other two together.

The animation was of course top notch, as per Pixar, and I found the action to be good and the pacing to be well done. Not sure why I didn't like it as much the first time I saw it. Either way, I like it a lot better now. I liked the nod to Howard Gardner and his "theory of multiple intelligences" as well. Sure it wasn't Pixar's best, but there's really a lot more to this movie than I at first realized.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Did you see it in 3D or 2D? I might waste 12.50 to 13.00 on the 3D if it's worth seeing,.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I saw it in 2D. I don't think ANY movie is worth seeing in 3D to be honest with you. I see 3D as an anomalous gimmick (no offense of course to those who like it. If ya like it, ya like it. :)) that has cropped up within the last decade, and I really don't think any movie is worth the price that they charge for 3D these days. Just go see it in 2D. It's just as fine of an experience. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well here in my state every Tuesday all movies I think even 3D Movies are 6.00 all day. If that is true than I will go some Tuesday and see it after work or on Wednesday witch is my day off and go see it. I wanna see that and Transformers 3: New Moon. Even tho it got horrible ratings I might check it out. And yeah I've seen a few 3D Movies and it's not worth spending the extra 4.50 to 5.00 on.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, we have the same thing, six dollar Tuesdays, but it doesn't apply to 3D films. That's when I typically go to the theaters, is on Tuesday. Much better deal. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)