The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Me About Pokemon

raichu

• Ruby
    • View Profile
which one will pokeplayer984 get hg or ss

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: raichu,Aug 16 2009 on  09:44 AM
which one will pokeplayer984 get hg or ss
I do plan to get both eventually.  I am that huge of a fan.  Which will I get first?  I'm not sure.  We'll see. :D

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well yeah, but I've also found that Charizard can defeat some water-types with sheer power, and I've seen that Ice and Electrics do well against it, but Charizard's power can defeat them, too. Ground and Rock can kill it too,
but none seem to be truely super effective.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: raichu,Aug 16 2009 on  07:55 PM
look water cAN beat fire
Sure. Water can beat fire. It's super effective too. But if you have a firepokemon it doesn't mean you always lose to a water type! :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, let me resolve this.

With Charizard being both a Fire and Flying type, Rock is the one type that ends up doing the most damage.

The reason for this is simple math.  Rock does twice the normal damage on Fire types and Rock does twice the normal damage on Flying type Pokemon.  So, in this case, Rock ends up doing quadruple damage on a Fire/Flying Pokemon.

In the case of Water or Electricity, they end up getting only one type, thus both end up doing only twice the damage.  In the case of Water, it ends up getting the weakness of Fire only.  In the case of Electric, it ends up getting the weakness of Flying only.  So neither of them could end up getting quadruple the damage on Charizard.  ONLY Rock can pull off the maximum damage to that powerful dragon.

Hope that helps, jedi. :)

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you think Pikachu is an over-rated Pokemon?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: NeoGenesis005,Aug 16 2009 on  08:51 PM
Do you think Pikachu is an over-rated Pokemon?
Yes, and the reason why is because he's the REAL star of Pokemon.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Come on, guys!  I'm ready for more! :D

Seriously, it's been more than four months here! :P:

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
What's your opinion on there being more than 495 pokemon?

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What does a Pokemon's "nature" mean? How does it affect its performance?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Dec 19 2009 on  02:01 AM
What's your opinion on there being more than 495 pokemon?
My Message to Nintendo:  Enough's enough!  Please stop making more pokemon!  I can't keep track here!

Seriously though, it's just too much already! :P:

What does a Pokemon's "nature" mean? How does it affect its performance?

In a way, you can think of the Pokemon's nature as their personality.  These different natures tend to have a slight changing effect in their stats. (HP, Attack, etc.) It has now become a vital factor in the High Level On-line Battles.  Despite the fact that it only gives a 1.1x change in the stats, when your pokemon is already powerful in that area, it makes a huge change. (Seriously, you would not believe it!) To be honest, I don't have the whole nature and stats changes they make memorized, but I'd say this is the best place to look for information on it.

http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml

Seriously, it's a great guide to this.  Despite the fact that it hasn't been updated since Ru/Sa, the information of this in the games themselves hasn't changed since then either.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
What do you think of all the pokemon movies being made?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Dec 22 2009 on  09:04 PM
What do you think of all the pokemon movies being made?
Can we have one where Ash doesn't save the day but one of the other characters do?  Seriously, you've done it too much already!  I know he's the star and all, but STOP!

Other than that, is it just me or are they starting to get worse with each new movie?  Action can only hide so much crappiness, ya know.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't know, I thought 2000 and Mewtwo Returns were the best of the lot. Speaking of which, what's you favorite Pokemon movie and/or episode?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've been watching a lot of PK just because it downloaded quickly and I haven't had anything else to watch, so I'll get right to this.

Other than that, is it just me or are they starting to get worse with each new movie?

No, it is NOT just you.  I've watched movies 1-10 (I have the other 2, but I'm saving them for when I get REALLY bored), and the only good one's were 1, 3. 5, and maybe 8.  The others were like.....sucky to say the least.  

Okay, now to a real question here.  WTF was up with Chikorita (probably misspelled that, but...)?  Am I the only one that thought they way he/she acted towards Ash was a bit....oh I dunno....creepy and inappropriate?  Then he/she (I'm working on grammar here, can you tell?) evolved into...uhhh...leaf-something and it got even more creepy....at least for a while.  Then it was like...gone.  Then Ash like dumped all his PK and it was like WTFH?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Jedi: I actually said it's the newer movies that are worse.  Re-read it, please.

As for my favorite Pokemon Movie, without a doubt, Pokemon: The Power of One (Pokemon 2000 in US).  In all truth, I do download the original with English Subs of these after I've seen the one in the US to compare the two.  Without a doubt, this comparison shows how much better the Japanese version is when compared to the 4Kids Dub.  The 4Kids Dub was good, but the original Japanese just rocked in comparison.

For one thing, in the original, they don't say that it all depends on Ash Ketchum.  Rather that a mystery trainer will be the one to save the day.  This alone made the storyline a lot better.

On top of this, the little love moments between Ash and Misty in this movie are a lot more cemented.  The words used just made the moments more meaningful.  I can't remember the dialogue right now, but I do remember it being better. (Oh, and yes, I am a Pokeshipper. (Ash & Misty Love Supporter. :D ))

I also like the moral of how one person can make such a difference in the world.  It just seems to really work for this movie.

The action sequences were also quite good.  This was before 3D Animation started causing problems. (Which might be one reason I hated the Deoxys one so much.  Simply not doing good enough with 3D Animation.) It's still done in 2D and looks terrific. :)

In all truth, a great movie and the best of them all.  I really can't find a better Pokemon movie than this one. :)

So to me, Pokemon: The Power of One.  The best of the best! :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^^^You didn't answer my previous question.  Guess you didn't see it.  But anyway, I'll ask another one I guess.

What is your opinion of Lucario?  Very general question I guess, and I expect a well thought-out answer.  And I'm not just talking about the Lucario in the movie.  I'm talking about character dynamics and potential for the overall character in later movies as well as fanfictions and perhaps even a more....complicated relationship between human and Pokemon than we've seen in the movies and TV series so far.  I'm probably overly-obsessed with complicated dynamic characters, and Lucario scores a 10/10 in my book.

EDIT:  I know I'm asking you to write a lot.  Maybe this is a question better suited to email/PM or MSN (though I really don't do MSN anymore).  Feel free to email me if you don't want to write a book in one topic response.