The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mother

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Yeah, minor incorrection on the title, because only Mother 2 was called Earthbound in the US version.

Still, anyone familiar with the game?

I started playing it some time ago, and I must say, the battle formula actually works. Obviously, the only way to play it was by searching for some kind of hacked version of sorts (because Mother 3 was only released in Japan), but after taking a look at the game, I actually liked the gameplay and the story is really touching. Even though its still pixelized - and its for the GBA, mind you - it gets you addicted to it for quite a while.

Earthbound was pretty good too, and it was considered the best japanese RPG game. Unlike Mother 3, Earthbound was also released in the US - damn europeans don't know when they've got a good game in their hands. And its actually an interesting game, because you see so many critics here you want to laugh. You get to fight New Age Retro Hippies and Cranky Old Women, and whatever you want to name that's bad about society. ._. At least in their opinion. Earthbound, from wat I've played so far, is quite an attractive game, but that's me.

Mother (the first version) is an old version of Earthbound, at least from what I had the opportunity to play.

I really advise the Mother series to good storyline lovers. And also people who liked the PokÈmon turn based combats.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've heard of Mother 1 and 3 and I've seen screenshots, but never really bothered to play them. Earthbound, however, I have considered to be the greatest RPG of all time. It is one of the most enjoyable and well-made games I have ever played, and even after beating it many times, I am still playing yet another file :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've not played any of the 3 games.  Not sure if it counts but I have watched Chuggaconroy play through all 3 mother games on his let's play vides, including a fan translated version of mother 3.  It looks like fun games, but I think I'd have liked playing mother 2 (earthbound) best of the 3 games.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Is that the game with the horrific Giygas battle? You know what the story is behind that one, right?

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep that's the one. And yes, I do believe I've read about that somewhere. Makes it all that more interesting :p

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
"Interesting" is hardly the word I'd use to describe it... more like "high-octane nightmare fuel, as the TV Tropes guide puts it."