The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

sequel with darkest story

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
In my opinion, it would be IV or II, but neither is very dark. And I find LBT I darkest indeed.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
VII always struck me as the darkest (of the sequels) given Pterano's backstory.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, "darkest story" is pretty tough to define... Each individual has his own themes more dark than another. There can be small dark moments, or general dark atmosphere...

Many LBT sequels had that in them, actually.

II has first true villains and their horrific actions.
III, possibly, has the most dark general atmosphere, from beginning till the end, with all this situation with water during all the movie, worse conflicts between herds, near-death of Great Valley and its residents because of lack of water and fire, and then situation repeated in Mysterious Beyond.
IV has theme of near-death of your close relative, and very dangerous travel to Land of Mists.
In V herds left valley because of danger of hunger, travel through lifeless land again, with more conflicts between herds, each time Gang stepped into Big Water something very bad happened, their parents for a long time thought their children could be dead.
In VII we have horrific Pterano's backstory and his relationships with other herds, and his actions, together with two villainous accomplices, make situation nearly repeat again.
In XI herd of tinysaures was hunted down during all the movie, because... you know why.

And that's just some of them I can tell about right away, without deep thoughts, and I didn't list some other movies, though I can say something about them as well right now.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
I would say the sequel with the darkest story is most likely Stone of Cold Fire.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think it's almost unanimous to say IV and/or VII has the darkest story.

I also agree that the nightmare of Grandma dying in XIII was pretty unnerving.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog

Oh, good point. I forgot about that part.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile

Yeah I remember that scene being really unsettling when I first saw it. Especially for a film that has a very silly tone throughout. Also the scene where Littlefoot has the same dream but with the Yellow Bellies instead was also pretty unsettling.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Yeah I remember that scene being really unsettling when I first saw it. Especially for a film that has a very silly tone throughout. Also the scene where Littlefoot has the same dream but with the Yellow Bellies instead was also pretty unsettling.
Yeah, in hindsight, that scene was pretty out of place in a movie like that.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I am currenrly rewatching LBTII, and honestly the fact that the gang nearly drowns in the sinking sand is really dark. For one is eatablished that the Great Valley is not a paradiso, that even in the glorious “Promise Land” one’s life can be snuffed out. This frankly is a major shift, the Original film made the Mysterious Beyond a place of purgatory and danger, but the Great Valley as untouched by predators or threats. LBTII undos this illusion, adding eggstealers, sinking sand and eventually sharpteeth in the form of Chomper’s parents. The writers wanted to make it clear the Great Valley isn’t safe, just safer than the Mysterious Beyond. 

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I am currenrly rewatching LBTII, and honestly the fact that the gang nearly drowns in the sinking sand is really dark. For one is eatablished that the Great Valley is not a paradiso, that even in the glorious “Promise Land” one’s life can be snuffed out. This frankly is a major shift, the Original film made the Mysterious Beyond a place of purgatory and danger, but the Great Valley as untouched by predators or threats. LBTII undos this illusion, adding eggstealers, sinking sand and eventually sharpteeth in the form of Chomper’s parents. The writers wanted to make it clear the Great Valley isn’t safe, just safer than the Mysterious Beyond. 
You know, I wrote a perfectly good post/review on how LBT II was pretty much a deconstruction of the first film and why that process (unintentional or not) helped it stand out as a sequel. It pretty much covers all of what you just wrote at length.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
You know, I wrote a perfectly good post/review on how LBT II was pretty much a deconstruction of the first film and why that process (unintentional or not) helped it stand out as a sequel. It pretty much covers all of what you just wrote at length.

Share the link and I’ll read it.  :ChomperPOG

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith