The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Axis and Allies

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For me I like to play as the axis it is a bit more difficult than playing as the allies. For playing as Germany it is difficult to decide where to put units. I try to conquer Africa then put troops south of Russia than move units into Russia and as the Japanese move troops west and use a pincer tatic and surround Russia.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I admit I only ever played it on the computer (but I did so with one of the older computer versions of the game that is based exclusively on the board game). Unless the player for the allies is rather poor that player is very likely to win. In that respect the game is historically accurate, but in many other ways it oversimplifies things a bit too much... sorry, this is the historian talking. It is "just" a game after all ;)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
True it may be a game but it requires you to think ahead to your next few turns. A single mistake can cost you in the game. Since the Allies have more IPC than the Axis at the start of the game you have to think like Patton or Rommel to name a few famous Generals in history when your attacking. You have to evenly Balence out the units you buy cause if you leave a area too weak you give your apponent a chance to take it and if you have an indusrty complex in said territory it can be very hard to defeat your apponent.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Historical generals had to have a lot more to consider than you have in this game. It is fun to play, but it does not involve the level of thinking and the number of things to be taken into account which the historical people had to deal with. No game can simulate that I think.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I also found that more often then not the Axis player loses because they just get outproduced if they fail to be decisive in the first few turns.

When it comes to historical strategy games I mostly like to stick with Command and Conquer cause its easier to set up and play, requiring only a computer. :)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah if the axis don't press their advantages it'll be hard for that player to win. Buying an Industry complex in French Indochina and Manchuria on your first turn will help Japan later on in the game cause you if you do that you can start buying tanks and Infantry on your second turn to help with the conquests of india and russia.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
To Malte, it's obvious these games are nothing compared to what real generals had to go through in a true conflict.  Real battles are very high risk and have been for centuries.  I saw an awesome show on Military Channel (if you have one) about naval rules of engagement and strategies, and they used the battles of Midway in 1942 and the Philippines in 1944 as examples as to what the commanding officers of both sides had to expect in these situations.  I agree with you on real life strategies compared to games.  And the game is just the game.

But back to the game.  Are we talking about the computer version or the map & miniatures version?  And if there's a game version, where can I get one? :blink:

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Okay.  For a moment it sounded like there's a computer game version.

ANYway, most of the time I use German, Russian, or USA/UK forces, and less often use Japanese forces or combine Romanian forces with Germany and Canadian forces with USA/UK.  I always take advantage on using indirect-fire units (only if I have spotters on the team), strong armored units with special abilities, machine gun teams, commanders, grenadiers, & snipers.  I don't have any aircraft, though, so I haven't done anything for air/anti-air combat.  I also haven't tried naval warfare before, and I know they have a different set of rules for that.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There is a pc game version. but still Focusing on russia first as the axis can be helpful. if you play your cards right you can surround russia and still keeping a strong force on your other fronts is handy cause if you don't keep the coastal area well defended the allies can come up right behind you like real life. After defeating russia you should pull all the forces used to defeat russia back to the coast line and prepare to invade the other allied countries. As the allies buying navel and land units to invade europe or Africa is a good tatic. If the US puts troops in russia by the Japanese forces you can come down and join your forces in china if they haven't been destroyed that is and if Japan put IC's in manchuria and french indo china you can defeat Japan fairly quickly. You should go for tech later on in the game and not during your first turn. I must stress this one always keep your capital well defended as for the German fleet in the Baltic keep it there the first few turns cause the Uk fleet can be attacked be the sub you have in the North Atlantic a fighter and a bomber in europe and then after the battle move the fighter and bomber to Norway to help defend.