The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Talent does not Equal Passion

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I don't know I used to think you will have talent in what you have passion in but it seems a bit untrue now. I dream all my life to make cartoons and bring drawings in life but after 4 years I just get no where yet I have always been a fighter without any formal training and I have bashed crap out of black belts before. I have also been pretty good at comedic acts and dressing. So what do you guys think?
Does Talent equal Passion?
Should we do thinks that we have passion to do or talent to do?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
passion does not equal talent unfortunately. you have to have talent to draw from first. you can be the most passionate singer in the world, but if you can't sing it doesn't mean anything.. but if you are good at something and passionate about it, it comes through in what you do..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I believe that passion should = hard work, which would produce a statement like this:

Accomplishment is proportional to Talent + Hard Work

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
What Nick22 said. I'm good at playing the piano, but I don't have much of a passion for it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Passion does not equal talent, but it is an excellent precondition to develope talent on the basis of practice. You call yourself a fighter without any formal training. Why not use the passion to stand the challenges of aquiring the formal training that might sum up to talent in the end?

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Quote from: Malte279,Nov 8 2011 on  04:04 PM
Passion does not equal talent, but it is an excellent precondition to develope talent on the basis of practice. You call yourself a fighter without any formal training. Why not use the passion to stand the challenges of aquiring the formal training that might sum up to talent in the end?
coz I can't afford it. Also with everyone thinking I'm crazy they won't want to me get anymore 'dangerous'. Also I have studied art for 10 years I took heart at it for 4 years of intensive practice but I accomplish far less than a friend who achieved better results in 6 months without working as hard.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
A good example from real life: I've been drumming for a good few years now, teaching myself and playing along with songs. Ive gotten pretty good at it too, if you'll forgive a little boast. But recently, I've just up and lost the desire to drum. The talent is there, but the passion to use this talent is not.
Similarly, I have been looking at art colleges recently for the next year. One thing I have noticed, somewhat with relief, is that genuine talent is not necessarily what they are looking for. Sure you need to have some talent in the fields they cover, like sculpting, textiles, drawing, etc. But what they are REALLY looking for is a willngness and passion to learn. In fact, one college even told a story about how, when applications and interviews came about, there was a choice between two students: One was an amazing artist, as well as being very confident and full of himself, and the other was a decent artist, who was a little shy but his interview showed that he had a genuine passion for his subject and wanted to learn. The college chose the latter student for the place.

Another good example, though not from real life, is those three little ponies, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Look at their actions in "The Showstoppers". They each know that they are highly skilled in certain areas (Applebloom being an adept builder and craftspony, Sweetie Belle being an incredible singer, and Scootaloo being highly agile). But none of them embrace these talents for various reasons. Sweetie, wanting to emulate her sister, as well as being shy about singing in public, chooses to work on building the props and costumes for heirupcoming peformane in a talent show. Scootaloo prefers to be the lead singer and songwriter (despite having an atrocious singing voice), leaving Applebloom to be the (clumsy) lead dancer. Now all three fillies worked as hard as they could on their chosen jobs, but because the talent was not there, their performance literally fell to pieces. However, this raises the question: Would it have been better that they put their hearts into delivering a passionate performance incorrectly, or utilising their individual talents and delivering a stunning performance, but without passion?

So for me, I'd say that talent in a subject, and a passion for a subject, are equal. Even if a person is no good at something, as long as they re eager to do it and get better, that's honestly what matters at the end of the day: whether they enjoy it or not.