The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I know I'm not supposed to post here, but I have question that can't be answered anywhere else:

I've heard that the season2 episodes have not been accepted by most of the fanbase and that Season 2 has been considered a shark jumper. And that the criticisms have reached the creators' ears and the relationship between audience and creator is becoming strained because of it. Is this true?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Dec 2 2011 on  05:18 PM
I've heard that the season2 episodes have not been accepted by most of the fanbase and that Season 2 has been considered a shark jumper. And that the criticisms have reached the creators' ears and the relationship between audience and creator is becoming strained because of it. Is this true?
Never heard that one

I got the impression that most of the fanbase likes the S2 episodes.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's what I've been seeing as well.

In other news, The Hub's "Naughty or Nice" Tournament is now into it's second round, and both Pinkie Pie and Discord have advanced to remain in the running in their respective fields. Gotta say, I was pretty surprised that Discord pulled it off against the Joker (the one voiced by Mark Hamill).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I personally think the show has gone downhill a lot since season 1.  It just doesn't have that same feeling to it.  Thankfully it doesn't bother me that much because I think what makes a show good is the characters rather than the stories.  I'll likely continue to watch the show.  I'm very glad there haven't been too many songs this season.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The series is no better or worse than it was before. That's my say on this.

EDIT: Also, you DO realize that this is a fan site dedicated to a series about singing dinosaurs, right, landbeforetimelover? There's a ton of singing in LBT. What's so wrong with singing in MLP? I'm not being a jerk here. I just find the statement "I'm glad there hasn't been much singing in MLP S2" odd coming from a Land Before Time fan.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Dec 3 2011 on  11:56 AM
The series is no better or worse than it was before. That's my say on this.

EDIT: Also, you DO realize that this is a fan site dedicated to a series about singing dinosaurs, right, landbeforetimelover? There's a ton of singing in LBT. What's so wrong with singing in MLP? I'm not being a jerk here. I just find the statement "I'm glad there hasn't been much singing in MLP S2" odd coming from a Land Before Time fan.
Ditto. To me, the songs are really what makes the show. One would honestly be very hard pressed to find a show on nowadays that has musical numbersof this scope and quality...In fact, this side of 2000, the only show I can think of with songs as catchy and good as these, is Phineas and Ferb. The songs in FiM just add so much more to it. Granted, some of Pinkie's little 1-minute wonders can be a tad annoying, but when you look at the big songs, they are spectacular!

Winter Wrap-Up- showstopper with impressive dual-harmony vocals and a very intriguing opening. Not to mention a melody that is impossible to get out of your head.

Art of the Dress- Like something straight out of a movie musical. Also, reprises make anything awesome.

At The Gala- 20 person choir. Into The Woods parody. That is all.

Find A Pet- IMO, the most impressive song so far. Not only does it take such a mundane task as choosing a pet and made it into a full-blown orchestral song, but the song itself, rather than being a showstopper that makes the story pause while it goes on, actually progresses the story itself. In that sense, it's almost like a bit out of a theatrical musical or even an opera!

Also, the songs serve as a very good way to see the difference from e other previous shows and movis, wherein the songs usualy ranged from annoying but catchy, to uninspiring and forgettable, to bland and trite, to just plain stupid.

And yes, I have to agree that neither season 1 or 2 is better to me, at least storywise. However, animation wise, S2 is an improvement: The studios had all of season 1 to experiment with the animation style, but were still a little tight about it all. S2's animation is much more loose and free, and much more cartoony. That makes it, to me at least, much better.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The problem, WR, is that many of the fans have been setting their expectations WAY too high.  It's a good show still, it's just that fans have been setting the bar too high.  On top of that, some fans just outright curse the show whenever it doesn't go how they want it to go.  Do you know how many bashed the last episode just because Mare Do Well wasn't who they thought she was?  The comments on EqD were just downright ridiculous. (In fact, the creator of EqD had to step in and talk them down just to stop the madness.) If this is the community that has been built, then it's giving me second thoughts about interacting with the fans outside of this thread.  It really doesn't paint a pretty picture for me.

The problem is not the show.  The problem is that the majority of brony fans need to, as The GameOverthinker would put it, GROW THE F*** UP!!  Seriously, if you look at the comments, you'd see that they are acting worse than babies and not the so called "adults" they claim to be.

In the end, it just baffles me how this is meant to be a show about friendship and it has brought out the worst in some people.  It makes me more embarrassed than ever to be a fan of this show. -_-

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
@ pokerplayer: Eeyup. We need to remember that this is a kid's show at the end of the day. It's a good one, but expectations shouldn't get out of control.

EDIT: You don't have to worry, Nick. I'm not going to lose control.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
So, who watched the new episode today?  :lol:

I have to say that I was really excited to see more of Canterlot!  :DD
And to avoid major spoilers, I will only say: DAT RARITY SONG! :wub

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Anyways, the episode that aired today...

Not what I was expecting, but I still liked it in the end.  To be honest, I'm not sure what to say about this episode.  It might take me some time to gather all my thoughts on this one.

And to those that missed it, you missed a new song.  Just so you know. ;) (And yes, it'll be up on my channel soon enough.) :)

EDIT: Good job, Sky!  You beat me to being the first to review the episode on this thread.  I had quite a record going there.  It was fun while it lasted.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Whoops! Sorry about that pokeplayer984~  :oops
Now I feel a little guilty...  :cry

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, here we go!  First up, the new Episode on YouTube.

Season 2 Episode 9

And of course, the song.

The Pony Every Pony Should Know

EDIT: Did anyone note the little sentence Twilight said that pretty much suggests that this episode takes place during Season 1?  Then again, I could be over-thinking it. :)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well i didn't think it would happen but i have a two new ponies to add to my favorites list.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Well, here's my thoughts on the new episode (Spoilers ahead!): Not necessarily a review, just thoughts:

Nice to see Canterlot as a city being fleshed out, rather than just being a hugeass castle.

The accents and dialects of those Canterlot ponies were just ridiculous. I struggled to not laugh every time one of them spoke.

Another song! Extremely short, but very cool, to be honest. A nice change from the usual musical fare, wherein it is usually ridiculously epic and grand, or kinda humble and quirky. A pleasant inbetween.

Did anyone notice that it seemed like Luna was the commentator for the Derby?

FancyPants = Ponified Good-Guy Greg, definitely soon to become a fan favourite. His voice actor sounds soooo familiar...also, I'm a bit intrigued by his his arm (foreleg?) candy in his intro scene. Yet another unique character design, almost like pink-haired Celestia with no wings.

Some of the new gadgets! Steampunk airships are now canon it appears, and I freaking want that Party Cannon.

All in all, another solid episode. Thus far, this season has failed to dissapoint, with a few minor exceptions (For me, Cutie Pox just seemed like a bit of a weak episode)

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
DAT RARITY SONG

The Pony Every Pony Should Know and Art of the Dress are the best FiM songs ever.

And a Rarity episode as an early birthday present.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I enjoyed a lot of the episode.  

It seem some folks forget it's just a show.  They should remember that line from a show called Mystery Science Theater 3000.  

It does seem there is some steam tech, or magical steam tech or a mix of the 2.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I recently noticed how many tracks from other things fit into scenes from the show.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you have a crush on any of the ponies, please avoid the following picture or you might go insane.

And a little Derpy to add to the fun.

The stallions would go crazy for these girls. :D