The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Lion Guard

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Quote from: Ludichris1,Jan 19 2016 on  11:27 PM
Yea there's been the movie and two episodes so far :)
It gets kiddish sometimes (for obvious reasons) but I'm really diggin' the combo of animation, art style, and VA. Songs can be pretty nice sometimes too

I like Ono the best

how would you order the characters by what you've seen so far?

(although I can't help myself when animated animals sing xD)

edit: OH GREAT x-x thanks for posting the youtube link >-> now i've listened to it 5 times  :bang
Oh man, it's hard to pick... I like Jasiri a lot, she's a good mix of tough and sensible, with bravado but without too much pride (like Fuli). And a good sense of humor :lol

I'd have to say of the main five, Beshte is probably my favorite. So chill and spacey. Love Ono too, though, and Bunga's okay when he's not being obnoxiously gimmicky. Not too fond of Fuli yet, but it looks like there are two episodes for her on the slate, so I'll wait to see how she develops as a character.
So far Kion's just the stereotypical leader type, but again, I'm looking forward to seeing more of his story :)

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yea I'm not really digging Fuli. I know she's supposed to be the 'logical, deliberate" type but she's not coming across as very likable. Time will well I guess.
Yeah I really like how Beshte's so chill. Great voice fit too.
Bunga... bunga can be funny at times but he gets pretty gross and immature at others so I don't know really.
Ono's my favorite cuz he's somewhat sarcastic but also looking out for people's best interests.

And jasiri's not one of the main characters but from what I"ve seen she's really good. On par with Ono for me.

And Kion, well. I love his character design the most (for obvious reasons) but at the same time he's pretty typical leader-ish, not that many flaws or quirks that I've seen. Like if Littlefoot were robotic or something. Still like him though better than bunga, fuli, maybe even beshte who knows really

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've watched the movie & two episodes and I think it isn't too kiddish.
8 years with TGOF :yum

Iuri97

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I watched the movie and the Jasiri episode very recently. Well, I have to say... it could have been a much worse series. I really liked Jasiri (ABOUT time we got a hyena that is not evil) herself. Overall, I wouldn¥t call it the best animated series ever but I found it perfectly enjoyable.

Also, I loved Janja. Sure, while he¥s a typical bullying teenager-radical-dude, I think he has potential as a villain. And I loved his laughter in the movie. So Joker-like!   :smile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I believe The Unshaved Mouse sais it best:

If I said I was happy, I'd be lion
If I said I was happy, I'd be lion
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Not quite...
Also, the TV market is always different from the movie market. Most animated tv shows focus on syndication with a villainous or lesson-teaching plot that usually doesn't bring a lot to continuity.

Also movies have to go for a wider audience than tv shows as they cost a lot more and there is more riding on them. Adults as far as I know usually don't watch current animated Kids tv shows on TV (note the on TV part) and would rather be watching adult animation or the rare gem like Steven Universe or something. And so to fill the networks demographic like Disney Jr or Nickelodeon Jr or whatever they have to make appropriate content

Also, usually the more serious an animated movie gets (that isn't japanese) the worse it does at the box office. Look at Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Titan AE. If it doesn't have talking animals or a love story, most people seem to pass.

Reading that blogpost some things were agreeable and others were not or just twists in fallacies meant to garner cynicism. Most people don't like their childhood favorites to be remade, and that's mostly what this is...

It was marketed as TV Y-7. The Lion King was G. But guess what; so was Land Before Time. And I think it's easy to agree both were PG

Bah not sure what else I can say on the matter :neutral

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
And I think you have it pegged all wrong. I find nothing wrong with anything he said. In any case, The Lion Guard is a piece of trash and there is no excusing that.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't believe they were able to get away with saying "This is un-fucking-believable!" on children's television so many times.

Also, fart jokes.  x(cera

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Feb 1 2016 on  11:40 PM
And I think you have it pegged all wrong. I find nothing wrong with anything he said. In any case, The Lion Guard is a piece of trash and there is no excusing that.
How much have you actually watched...

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ludichris1,Feb 2 2016 on  08:46 AM
^^

It's "un-bunga-lievable" Bunga + Unbelievable, Campion1.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ludichris1,Feb 2 2016 on  09:46 AM
I've seen enough. Unshaved Mouse is right. End of discussion.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
remember to keep the discussion civil guys. carry on.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I am hoping you can consider fact, opinion, and sensitivity when in discourse.
Wouldn't call it banter, but thanks for the exchange of thoughts.
 :unsure:

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's a little silly to call something objectively 'trash' because you don't like it. And I'm really tired of people acting like it's some huge unforgivable sin to re-vamp an old concept. (The lion king was essentially a rip-off of Kimba the White Lion in the first place).
The Lion Guard does not detract from the Lion King, just as the Lion King did not detract from Kimba the White Lion. People can like the Lion Guard while still maintaining reverence from it's source material.
It's not a bad show. It has its eyeroll moments, but it's fun and energetic, with some surprisingly sober undertones. Some of the songs are good, some are not. I like the swahili vocabulary element, and the introduction of more varied animals in main roles.

Oh, and it's only aired three episodes and a mini-movie so far. That isn't a lot to judge by.

And Beshte is still my favorite :smile

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Feb 2 2016 on  10:23 PM
It's a little silly to call something objectively 'trash' because you don't like it. And I'm really tired of people acting like it's some huge unforgivable sin to re-vamp an old concept. (The lion king was essentially a rip-off of Kimba the White Lion in the first place).
The Lion Guard does not detract from the Lion King, just as the Lion King did not detract from Kimba the White Lion. People can like the Lion Guard while still maintaining reverence from it's source material.
It's not a bad show. It has its eyeroll moments, but it's fun and energetic, with some surprisingly sober undertones. Some of the songs are good, some are not. I like the swahili vocabulary element, and the introduction of more varied animals in main roles.

Oh, and it's only aired three episodes and a mini-movie so far. That isn't a lot to judge by.

I agree! I love Kiara, she slays  :lol !

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Feb 2 2016 on  11:23 PM

The Lion King is NOT a ripoff of Kimba the Crap Lion. This has long been debunked.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wrong. The Lion King is NOT a ripoff of Kimba the Mediocre Lion.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Feb 3 2016 on  08:09 PM
Wrong. The Lion King is NOT a ripoff of Kimba the Mediocre Lion.
Whether or not ideas were directly taken is, of course, a pointless debate, as the studio with the army of lawyers says they weren't. However, there are undeniable similarities between the two. And it isn't a bad thing at all. Idea pooling and influence are a big part of the creative arts. As prevalent as Tezuka's works were at the time, it is highly unlikely that Disney's artists weren't influenced by him in some way, and Tezuka's Kimba was, in turn, inspired by Bambi.

And you are really being pretty inflammatory for no reason that I can see. You don't like Kimba. Okay, got it. You don't like the Lion Guard either. Okay, that's cool. We all respect differences in opinion, and they can lead to interesting conversations. It is clear that you are not interested in conversation, though, as according to you the show is objectively 'trash.' So since you don't like the show, and you're not interested in having a conversation about it with people who disagree with you, why are you even posting in this thread? It is a legit question, not an accusation.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Speaking of the Kimba/TLK thing, I remember reading a long while back that, according to early concept art, Simba was supposed to be a white lion, and that one of the guys working on the movie thought that they were doing a Kimba remake. Whether or not they were is up for debate and, honestly, it's not all that important to really obsess over if this is the case or not.

What do I think? I do believe it's very possible that TLK was inspired by Kimba. There ae a number of similar scenes that it seems unlikely that they weren't influenced in some way. However, TLK is not a direct copy and has other influences put into it, such as Hamlet, to make it different from Kimba. So I don't see TLK as a 90s Kimba. Just as a 90s animation that drew inspirations from Kimba and other sources, but is still its own thing.

Back on topic with The Lion Guard, while it is not something that I'm personally fond of (for instance, Kion getting that roar 'power'), I don't really hate the show nor do I consider it trash personally. It's just not my taste. I consider it a relatively harmless show, even if I don't like some of the stuff about it.

However, if there is one thing about it that I am impressed by, is that they finally had a friendly hyena character. The beginning of this show seemed to paint them as just "kill them all" type of villains (even worse than how they were treated in the first film). So the fact that they did have an episode where Kion met a friendly hyena was certainly a plus to me.