The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
(Decided I was no longer comfortable sharing this publicly, but you are welcome to PM me if you would still like to read it.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:55:24 AM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:56:55 AM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:57:00 AM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:57:05 AM by StardustSoldier »

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I must say that this story is off to an interesting start. I like how you either intentionally or by chance made the surrounding world seem mysterious and force the reader to think what was going on. Until now, Mist has become quite an interesting character to follow, even if the extent of what we know of him is quite slim at the moment. This type of writing is engaging storytelling, easing the reader into the world and letting them figure things out on their own, which in a way connects the reader to the world itself.

Likewise, the mysterious figure called the Flyer is rather difficult to understand what could've led her to behave like a murderous beast, though we can determine from her brief debut that she is quite dangerous foe. The exact relationship between the flyer and threehorn is unclear, but it is obvious that they're not on friendly terms with each other, and this abrupt encounter with the flyer could result in serious conflict. In terms of critique I have only one thing to say, I was a bit confused as to where the story takes place, my first assumption being the Land of Mists, but that was quickly proven false. I understand that this may be important for the world building, but it could help the reader if they knew where to begin, so to speak.

Never mind that small criticism, the story thus far has been rather interesting and I will look forward to where you will take this story in the next chapter. :)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
These kinds of stories are rather interesting because the clear feeling of mystery and anticipation is very clear in them. Mist seems like a good character thus far and his quest to find some meaning in life is quite a rather exciting idea. The atmosphere in this fic is quite well-established and it’ll be intriguing to see just in which direction this fic will go to.

However, the structure of this story shares similar problems as the Other Stone. Writing longer chapters would allow the reader to immerse more in the story’s flow and to create more complex plot developments. Some of the chapters are just too short, imo. Also, it would have been nice to have some dialogue with some character Mist meets or in some flashback. These are the main issues I can see here but I’m sure you’ll manage to make this story very interesting in the end.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If this story could be described in one word, that word would be mysterious.  In this narrative we are left with numerous mysteries and as one is solved, another one yet opens up.  For example, who is this mysterious flyer that Mist feels is following him and bringing doom to others?  Is it some untold horror of the skies, or, perhaps, could it be a flyer helping out another predator, one who is unseen?  Likewise there is much of Mist's life that is a mystery to us and, perhaps, is also a mystery to him.  His past and future, must like his present, seems to be enveloped in a crippling mist that obscures the truth.  As such the title of the story is very apt.

I will actually diverge a bit from what I said in my previous review (of the Other Stone of Cold Fire) to say that the shorter chapters here combined with rich description actually does assist this story in creating a mysterious mood.  So whereas in The Other Stone of Cold Fire I felt that the shorter chapters were a disadvantage, I actually think they are useful here.  Though that being said, in the last chapter where an entire day's journey was described in single paragraphs, I do think a longer elaboration would be useful.  Even if such a description of those day's events have little to report, an enhanced description of those long days would add to the pacing of the story and would allow us to feel the same cadence as Mist in the story.

But all that being said, I do like what you have done with this story thus far.  It is mysterious, foreboding, and though I have no idea what will happen next, I feel that mystery is part of what makes this story work so well.  I will eagerly look forward to the continuation of this story.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.