The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Song Project: When You're On Youw Own

Mumbling · 100 · 8347

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hello there :D

*finished*

I'm opening a new singing project. This time the song 'When you're on your own' will be sung.

I'd like you to read this: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=1506These are some guidelines Action9000 once made about the singing, and I dont want to type them all over again :DD

I won't make my own background music, at least not yet. When I am able to I will.So if you want to, and I would really like to hear all of you, record your voice singing this song. Please nobackground music, so only your voice. Listen to the music by headphone. and then you send it to my mail. thelionqueen@live.nl thanks
Don't be afraid of your voice, I know the problem! :p

Please participate :lol

Those who will be singing(those who have send it already are like this):

Clawandfang
Dash The Longneck
Flathead770

Kjeldo
LBTFan13
Littlefoot1616
Malte279
Mumbling
Nimrod
Pokeplayer984

Vilstrup

Those who will play an instrument( :wow ) :

Action9000
Nimrod

Starfallraptor

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah, so it's time for another one? Great!  :yes

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
But what will we listen to while we record our singing? Shall we use the original song? Are you going to use that one for the background Iris? Is there a way to filter out the original Littlefoot voice?
It's really awesome that you are doing this Iris :yes

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
We're singing "When You're On Your Own" as a group? Oh, the irony, heh.
I suppose I'll send you something.... after some fairly heavy editing to make it sound reasonable (joking of course...well...maybe...heh). Can you give us some sort of timeframe? I ask this because I refuse to sing unless I'm completely out of earshot. This limits my possible recording time to a single hour every Tuesday afternoon, unless something out of the ordinary crops up (which is highly unlikely).
I seem to remember Action mentioning something about voice-removers not working with LBT songs, which is why he made his own (an extremely complex and time-consuming task, unless I miss my shot by a lightyear or two). For the time being at least we'll just have to drown Littlefoot out.

Are there particular file formats you'd prefer? Size limitations? Anything else which temporarily escapes me?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Its practically impossible to remove Littlefoot's voice without removing the timbres of other instruments as well.  Pluss it would be in monophonic sound.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I sent you a PM with an offer/solution, Mumbling. B)
I Highly recommend having a copy of the song on your computer so you can refer to it easily.  Since you've recorded this before with your family, you probably already have this. :p If you don't, check my website for the songs (see signature).

an extremely complex and time-consuming task, unless I miss my shot by a lightyear or two
The way I did it was extremely time-consuming.  If you just make a basic mockup as a General MIDI, an experienced mockup producer can make the background music in as little as 3-4 hours probably.  I'm known for taking upwards of 20 hours in my background music, simply due to the complexity of the layering in my arrangements (this relates to the complexity of the virtual instruments I use, which function best when using many layers), as well as my attention to detail.  I've done simple mockups of 4-minute songs in less than 2 hours before.  It all comes down to how much detail you want.

[EDIT] I added some comments to my recording tutorial, which I'll post here for easy access:

"My recording has a lot of background noise or *hiss*ing.  How can I fix this?
Try setting the microphone's volume lower while recording.  We prefer a quieter recording with less noise over a loud recording with a lot of noise.  It's easy to make a quiet recording louder.  It's nearly impossible to remove hissing.  Also, see tips in the next section to possibly improve the sound further.

The recording has a loud, low-pitched buzzing sound.
Is your wiring from your microphone or mic cable near a source of EMI (electrical noise) such as a computer, speaker, power wiring or power source?  Try moving the wire.  Also, make sure the wire that connects your microphone to your computer is nice and tight on both ends.  Worst case, your sound card isn't very good for recording with.  Typically, laptop sound cards and some onboards desktop sound cards are pretty poor for recording quality.

My recording has a very high-pitched shrieking sound.
Turn off any nearby TVs and CRT monitors while recording.

Also, if your computer is very loud when it's running (due to fan noise, etc.), try to move as far away from the computer as possible when recording."

Make sure your mouth isn't *too* close or *too* far away from the microphone when recording.  
"Point the top of the microphone directly at the front of your mouth, holding it one or two inches away and just under the lips. Don't touch the microphone "windscreen" with your lips, or hold the microphone to one side of your mouth. "  Source of information and picture representation Here.
[/edit]

Are there particular file formats you'd prefer? Size limitations? Anything else which temporarily escapes me?
Mp3 or Wav are the easiest to work with, at least they were for me.  As for other specs:
No size limit unless Mumbling wants to enforce one
Sampling rate: please use 44100Hz (44.1kHz) or higher.  The result will likely be downsampled to 44.1kHz (though this is entirely Mumbling's choice.  I used 44.1kHz because my virtual instruments are all 44.1kHz) so recording higher will just waste space for the sake of this project (pros would argue that recording higher is better but for the sake of this, I don't see a point.)
Mono preferred.  Stereo just wastes space unless you're actually recording with 2 microphones in a stereo configuration.

I'll let Mumbling make the final calls though.  She's in charge now. B)  I'm just a backseat driver. :lol

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll join along, as long as i can find the time to get the recordings done.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm probably game for this one. :) I just need to get a time to record.....lack of privacy in this house, sadly. :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I may be able to do recordings on a weekend when I'm not in the flatshare where I'm living at the moment. Not only would the singing be "problematic" with my flatmates, but there is also a lot of background noise here with a large road and a tram right in front of my windows.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
count me in this time! i will find the time to do the recording!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
if you tell me how to upload music on internet, i'll be in to!!!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Apr 21 2008 on  04:43 AM
Mp3 or Wav are the easiest to work with, at least they were for me.  As for other specs:
No size limit unless Mumbling wants to enforce one
Sampling rate: please use 44100Hz (44.1kHz) or higher.  The result will likely be downsampled to 44.1kHz (though this is entirely Mumbling's choice.  I used 44.1kHz because my virtual instruments are all 44.1kHz) so recording higher will just waste space for the sake of this project (pros would argue that recording higher is better but for the sake of this, I don't see a point.)
Mono preferred.  Stereo just wastes space unless you're actually recording with 2 microphones in a stereo configuration.

I'll let Mumbling make the final calls though.  She's in charge now. B)  I'm just a backseat driver. :lol
Thanks, Action. Sorry guys for my late respond.

Yes wav and mp3 files are the easiest for me to work with. No sizelimit.

@Malte, I'm using the normal song. I'm learning how to create my own one now, but it won't be for this one as I don't know for sure if I can manage or not. So just listen to the normal song with littlefoot singing.

I'll keep a list of those who are joining.

And a question to all of you: can anyone create a little banner for the signature? I dont know who normally does that...  :slap

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: kjeldo,Apr 21 2008 on  03:10 PM
if you tell me how to upload music on internet, i'll be in to!!!
uploading music is very easy. Find an uploadsite like www.driveway.com or www.4shared.com and upload anything you want to.. ^^ Glad you are in Kjeld.
Quote from: Clawandfang,Apr 20 2008 on  10:31 PM
Can you give us some sort of timeframe? I ask this because I refuse to sing unless I'm completely out of earshot. This limits my possible recording time to a single hour every Tuesday afternoon, unless something out of the ordinary crops up (which is highly unlikely).
I'm sorry Jamie, but I do not fully understand this. I do understand the singing part but I don't understand the timeframe thing.. :bang

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
:blink:  :blink:  :blink: , what? A new singing project? YEEAHHAAH.  :wow  :wow  :wow . I am in, and if you would need any help with cutting the recordings, or working at the quality. Just let me know :yes

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Heh...Ummm... Yeah.
I'll Try to add my violin to the mix.  This time for sure, right? :P:

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Apr 21 2008 on  02:20 PM
I'm sorry Jamie, but I do not fully understand this.
Heh...you arn't the first to say such a thing. I'll explain over messeneger if you want, but all it really boils down to is that finding recording time is difficult. My apologies.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@Malte, I'm using the normal song. I'm learning how to create my own one now, but it won't be for this one as I don't know for sure if I can manage or not. So just listen to the normal song with littlefoot singing.
Just remember that if people are recording while listening to the original song, you won't have the option of making your own background music and putting the voices to it Unless you can make 100% sure that the tempo of your remake Exactly matches that of the original song.  This is vital to ensure that the voices are in sync with the music.

This is why I always encouraged everyone to sing to the background music I prepared for them.  If you intend to make your own background music, you may want to hold off on getting peoples' recordings unless you're very confident that you can match the tempo of the original song exactly.

You mentioned that we won't have background music for this song, so we'll use the original throughout the duration of this project.  Cool. :)

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
StarfallRaptor, I've got one question for yer.
Are you thinking of playing Violin to the song, instead of singing?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Many people join... :D

Yes, I'll keep it to the original song, just for everyone who wants to be sure.

I hope my voice will be normal again, because I'd like to sing myself too  :lol ..

Nice that you play the violin, I hope I Can place it in the song .. :)