The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

VHS vs DVD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'll be using disks. I've had nothing but bad luck with external hdd's.  Far better luck with disks.  and since I keep mine in binders I can put a LOT of dvd's in a small amount of space.  I also like the fact that I read that blu-ray have no organic components in their manufacture, on idea if that is true.  If so they may outlast dvd's.  

While I do not have a 20 year old dvd, I do have one that I got back in 98 or 99 and it still plays like I just bought it seconds ago.  I've read part of why some dvd's go bad fairly quickly is the manufacturing process.  Some places are better at it then others and early on some dvd's were made badly.

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I voted VHS, those were the days!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
My family no longer use VHS. We have only one VHS player and no VHS to play on it. We've all switched to DVD. They take up less room and are easier to store, which became a convenience for us because we used to have a cabinet so full of VHS we hardly had room for any more.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well here's a famous Alex Anecdote.

Back like 5 months ago, I was looking for something to watch. I had watched all my movies, watched all seasons of 24 atleast 4 times each, so I had nothing. Then I go look in the little hallway storage thing, and I see my old VHSs. I dug out a working VHS player, and went to find a cassette. One of the first things I see are 5 of these old movies I watched as a kid, old animation movies called "The Land Before Time". I loved those movies, so I wanted to watch one.

And here I am today. I can never talk bad about VHS, because of stories like these.

Of course I now comfortabtly watch all 13 of them on DVD.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
DVD, though I used to prefer VHS.

One example, however, of a time I still prefer VHS over DVD was the original vHS release of Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, which contained, IMO, an awesome music video by the band Dokken of a song created for the movie.

The DVD lacks the music video.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I don't think anyone has mentioned Blu-Ray. :smile :lol

Oh wait, nevermind, DH mentioned it. Aww...she beat me to me to it...:cry2 oh well...

Anyhow, VHS gives me that older feel and I sometimes do like using something older. But DVDs do have better quality. It's like that better medium of both worlds. Of the VHS and Blu-Ray. I think a Blu-ray disk might be a bit too intense for me to watch, but that's just me. Also Blu-rays are REALLY expensive. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The two screenshots here are a bit misleading, as landbeforetimelover pointed out.  Scientifically speaking, a DVD has a much greater image resolution and sound quality than a VHS.  The difference in video quality is not absolutely incredible unless you're watching on a high-def TV.  On a HDTV, the VHS will look pretty horrible, unless the film is pre-CGI animated, which isn't as picky about resolution as live-action.

I could never call VHS a superior format to DVD and I hope blu-ray or the equivalent quality will become more mainstream in the near future, as even DVDs can't come close to keeping up with the high resolutions of HDTVs these days.

DVD, for sure.