The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Power over fanfiction

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
What do you guys think? Do you think that the author should have the most control over a fanfic? Or does someone who grants the usage of a character automatically gain control over the story?

Personally, I think that the author should still have the most control. The story is their idea, after all. All a person who gives permission to use a character (or idea) gets to control is what they granted permission for. And even then, in the end, it's the author who has the final say and if they want, they can remove that character/idea entirely from the story.

Just because someone gives permission to use someone or something in the story doesn't automatically elevate them above the author as the controller of the fanfiction. Sure someone might think "Well I gave them the privilege to use my character/idea so they should do it how I want!", but it is the author writing the story, not that other person, and if that person becomes too much of a problem, their idea/character can be utterly removed from the story.

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
It's good to every now and then listen to the fans' input and opinion for the story every now and then, but ultimately the author has the right of say to the story. At least that's how I see it.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know what this is all about, and I agree with DH.  The author, the one who envisioned the story and created it, in my opinion has ultimate control.  Feedback from fans is always good, but in the end the author is the one who decides what happens next.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
The author always has the final say in it. The fan is a fan, nothing more. They may give permission to use a character in a story, or sometimes the author will allow a fan to have their character added into the story, but that's it. The author does not sign over the rights to the story. The author also has the right to deny the character from being in the story, even after the story has been finished.

Pretty much, the author has control, not the fan.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
A fan can suggest ideas but the author is the one who implements them.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Also, a fan does not automatically assume control over the story if he or she offers thousands of suggestions. The author is not obligated to use any or all of these suggestions. They are there to possible strike inspiration. If the author chooses not to use these suggestions, then oh well. The fan should be grateful his or her suggestions were considered.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree with everyone else. The author is the ultimate power behind the story, and only the author should be able to decide where the story goes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think it is absolutely the author of a story who should decide what to write and how to write it. Something that an author dislikes to write is not likely to turn out good.
It is a good thing if an author of a story is ready to listen to the opinions and feedback of readers and consider what they say if the author her- or himself feels that they have a point. But the author who invests most work in a story should also be the one whose heart is really with the story. The readers of course are entitled to like or dislike the story. Very often what the author and the readers like are overlapping so most of the time it wouldn't be too difficult.
I do not know the background of the question though. Are we talking of person A inventing a character for a story and permitting person B to use the character in another story written by person B? In that case things may be more complex. The character is of course A's creation and I could understand why A would dislike seeing the character being utterly different from the way A invisioned him. B wants to write an own story, but if B is really intent to have utter and unquestionable control about the story I would recommend B not to use a character which A created. If B takes a character from A with A's permission I could not entirely deny any claim of A on the own character though not about the story. But character and story may well overlap. I think if B is writing a story using a character of A with A's permission it would be best for both of them to agree on the basics so neither the story nor the character are distorted and the relationship between A and B doesn't suffer from that.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 25 2010 on  05:27 PM
I do not know the background of the question though. Are we talking of person A inventing a character for a story and permitting person B to use the character in another story written by person B?.
Something like that.

The situation was that Person A created Character 1 and gave permission for Person B to use Character 1 in their story.

The only issue was that Person B did not want to use Character 1 in the 3rd story. Not to mention that Person A more or less hijacked Person B's story (not yet written as of now).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
The ultimate answer to this question is that the author rules. He/She created the story, and that is that. Even if several fans gave suggestions, there is ABSOLUTLY no grauntee that any of those ideas will ever be used by the author of the story.

So while a fan can submit ideas and even their own characters, in the end the Authors have the utmost final word on who lives, dies, and how the story is played out.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Feb 25 2010 on  06:05 PM
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 25 2010 on  05:27 PM
I do not know the background of the question though. Are we talking of person A inventing a character for a story and permitting person B to use the character in another story written by person B?.
Something like that.

The situation was that Person A created Character 1 and gave permission for Person B to use Character 1 in their story.

The only issue was that Person B did not want to use Character 1 in the 3rd story. Not to mention that Person A more or less hijacked Person B's story (not yet written as of now).
Ah, now I know what you're talking about...

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
(Malte279 Posted on Feb 25 2010, 05:27 PM)

I think if B is writing a story using a character of A with A's permission it would be best for both of them to agree on the basics so neither the story nor the character are distorted and the relationship between A and B doesn't suffer from that.

Here's my side of the story!? Before he started writing Revenge II which was about almost two years ago, I gave him a story idea with my OC and he liked it.
So I put my full trust in him and was hoping that he would have kept things the way I was hoping they would be. But I don't know when he made the choice of changing things around and then he wait's until the last 24 hours to tell me of what he did before he started writing Revenge I I I.

And I feel that he broke my trust when he did that? I mean he sould have giving me, a much better amount of time with the notice change. Then I might have been more understanding!

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
The author of the story, of course!
Although, I looove being critiqued and given suggestions, so the fans and readers to have some part in it.

If only Stephanie Meyer could accept that.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To me, it does depend if you're writting for fans or not, like some stories could.  However, all in all, I too must say that the author has the ultimate control over the stories.  Like others have said, fans can surely suggest things and what have you....but the author is the one in control in the end.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Dark Pterano, what are you doing?! This is not the place to be arguing about this. You have a problem, direct it to me privately.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
As of this moment, we are 19-0 in favor of the author. I've never seen something so lopsided on the GoF before. And yes, I am one of the 19. We should next ask if the earth is round, and see if that gets similar results.  :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I actually think there should be a good balance. You might see that the fans want something you totally did not have in mind, but you might make a variation on that. After all, you are the writer of the story, not them. Yet I still think their wish ought to be heard.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Feb 26 2010 on  07:02 PM
As of this moment, we are 19-0 in favor of the author. I've never seen something so lopsided on the GoF before. And yes, I am one of the 19. We should next ask if the earth is round, and see if that gets similar results.  :lol
Yeah, but you'll know that at least one person will stuff it up and sat the Earth is flat *goes and votes for the Earth being flat* XD

But yeah, I do have to say, having the fans being heard would also be good, to see if you actualy need to improve on anything....no wait, those would be critics...fans do nothing but praise it and complain when the hero and the princess never did get together in your story when you really know that she's gonna fall for the tall, dark and sinister evil guy :lol

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't know all the backgrounds (the stories and characters in particular that is) but I do think that it would be best for both involved parties if they sorted it out among themselves with the purpose of solving the problem by finding a good compromise.
As for the extremely unequivocal outcome of the pol I must point out that the question is kind of suggestive and not quite matching the situation described here.
Should the author or a fan have more control over a fanfiction? OF COURSE the author.
But that is hardly the situation described here.
If the said fan has been asked whether the author may use a character of the fan's creation and if the said fan gave the permission I do not think the situation is the same as suggested by the question (a random fan of no involvement beyond that of a reader "interfering" with the author).
Does the creator of a character loose any influence whatsoever over a character the moment the creator of a character gave permission for an author to use it?
I do not think this question would be as unequivocally be answered as the question if fans should have more influence over as story than the author.

I am not siding with one or the other one here as I don't know the entire background. I do understand both sides though and I think that both sides are more understandable as the pol quesion results (refering to a very different scenario) suggest.