The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Does LBT make you cry?

Hyp · 141 · 24512

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I did cry a bit while watching LBT movies (I don't watch them frequently though. I know those I care most about by heart). They do make me kind of sentimental and sometimes a little melancholic. Somebody once defined melancholy as "the joy we derive from being sad". I reckon it must be something along that lines for if it wasn't for the sadness and sentimentality I derived from watching LBT movies I daresay I would not be an LBT fan.
I cried because it reminded me of my childhood and how much I used to love the movies, and basically just how its sucks to be growing up
Not so raga.
We usually tend to glorify the times either of the past or sometimes of the future ("can't wait to grow up" etc.) but we rarely appreciated the presence. It is one blissful element of most humans mind that they will remember positive things (whether real or "invented" with the benefit of hindsight) more than hardships when it comes to thinking about times that are not present. In the present time the difficulties and hardships are always more present than those of the past (especially in case of hardships which one managed to overcome). Childhood is a great time, but certainly not without problems. So is growing up, so is getting old. None of these times necessarily suck. So much depends of what we make of it. For all we know we may be young but only a single time, but if that is so we would only once go through the marvelous experience of growing up to finally growing old. With that in mind I guess it is not a good idea to yearn for times we cannot retrieve at the expense of our appreciation for the present time. Very often we tend to yearn for a time in the past which "sucked" at the time when that past was present. I guess it is a good thing to appreciate the positive things in our lives in the present times too and not start doing this once that present is unrecoverable past :)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There are many movies were I feel emotional with, some I sub-consiously link with my childhood past (The Land Before Time being one of them) and cry whilst with other movies that I feel emotional over I don't sub-conciously cry over as they don't have a profound effect on me as much.  

There are only three movies that I do get emotional with on a regular basis (The Land Before Time, Bambi and The Lion King).  All three, a parent (mainly the mother) dies during the film.  These three films were a basis of a difficult time for me and although I didn't loose my mother I very nearly did.  So; I do tend to link the 'experience' of what happened with these movies.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,May 6 2009 on  10:28 AM
There are many movies were I feel emotional with, some I sub-consiously link with my childhood past (The Land Before Time being one of them) and cry whilst with other movies that I feel emotional over I don't sub-conciously cry over as they don't have a profound effect on me as much.  

There are only three movies that I do get emotional with on a regular basis (The Land Before Time, Bambi and The Lion King).  All three, a parent (mainly the mother) dies during the film.  These three films were a basis of a difficult time for me and although I didn't loose my mother I very nearly did.  So; I do tend to link the 'experience' of what happened with these movies.
I like all those 3 movies too  :)  but the other sad one that I really love is The Fox and the Hound. It makes me cry everytime  :cry2

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh yes, I forgot about the Fox and the Hound although it doesn't have such a profound effect on me.  Have you read the book?  Quite differs from the disney version.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,May 8 2009 on  03:44 AM
Oh yes, I forgot about the Fox and the Hound although it doesn't have such a profound effect on me.  Have you read the book?  Quite differs from the disney version.
Oh don't remind me of the book ><
It made me cry so much  :cry2
but if they made the movie like that, I would be crying more then I cried in Green Mile and Marley and Me  :(

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Personally I haven't actually read the book.  I've only read synopsis and essay comparisons but to tell you the truth I don't think I'd want to.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,May 8 2009 on  08:38 PM
Personally I haven't actually read the book.  I've only read synopsis and essay comparisons but to tell you the truth I don't think I'd want to.
If you don't like sad books I perfer you don't read it  ;)
I liked it, but it still makes you cry.  :yes

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Bambi was like that for me... The book made me cry a lot more than the movie did.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,May 8 2009 on  09:31 PM
Bambi was like that for me... The book made me cry a lot more than the movie did.
Really? Well I didn't read the Bambi book because I can't find it anywhere  <_<

But when I find it, I will read it

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I definitely loved it, it was fantastic. Be warned, though! It was quite graphic.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,May 8 2009 on  09:50 PM
I definitely loved it, it was fantastic. Be warned, though! It was quite graphic.
I don't care.  :p
the Fox and the Hound book was WAY worse

Sharptooh #436

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 6 2009 on  03:55 AM
I did cry a bit while watching LBT movies (I don't watch them frequently though. I know those I care most about by heart). They do make me kind of sentimental and sometimes a little melancholic. Somebody once defined melancholy as "the joy we derive from being sad". I reckon it must be something along that lines for if it wasn't for the sadness and sentimentality I derived from watching LBT movies I daresay I would not be an LBT fan.
I cried because it reminded me of my childhood and how much I used to love the movies, and basically just how its sucks to be growing up
Not so raga.
We usually tend to glorify the times either of the past or sometimes of the future ("can't wait to grow up" etc.) but we rarely appreciated the presence. It is one blissful element of most humans mind that they will remember positive things (whether real or "invented" with the benefit of hindsight) more than hardships when it comes to thinking about times that are not present. In the present time the difficulties and hardships are always more present than those of the past (especially in case of hardships which one managed to overcome). Childhood is a great time, but certainly not without problems. So is growing up, so is getting old. None of these times necessarily suck. So much depends of what we make of it. For all we know we may be young but only a single time, but if that is so we would only once go through the marvelous experience of growing up to finally growing old. With that in mind I guess it is not a good idea to yearn for times we cannot retrieve at the expense of our appreciation for the present time. Very often we tend to yearn for a time in the past which "sucked" at the time when that past was present. I guess it is a good thing to appreciate the positive things in our lives in the present times too and not start doing this once that present is unrecoverable past :)

Very true.

LBT brings back memories of when I was younger. It indeed makes me cry (or almost). Especially those sadder songs. But in a nice sort of way.

x-Petrie-Lover-x

• Ruby
    • View Profile
The film did make me cry, especially when Littlefoot's mum died... and I also had tears in my eyes when he was playing with the leaf after his mum took it off the tree for him.

I'm a very emotional person.

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: x-Petrie-Lover-x,Jun 12 2009 on  11:12 AM
The film did make me cry, especially when Littlefoot's mum died... and I also had tears in my eyes when he was playing with the leaf after his mum took it off the tree for him.

I'm a very emotional person.
I cried too :cry it is very sad when littlefoots mom dies........i still cry...it's sad
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I broke down to tears it was very sad when it reminded me of my great grand mother was killed by a tractor when she was 103.The newest sad memory was well I will sent a pm if somneone wants to know

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That is very sad.....losing your great grand mother......you must have cried alot, i'm sorry for your loss
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The only movie I ever cried after watching the first time was Titanic ... such a brilliant movie.

But there are definately some I get choked up after watching, like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List. It's the realistic movies that get to me.  :cry

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
believe me when I first watched the film movie I cried so much especilly at the death of Littlefoot's Mother and mainly through every part of it because of the music and when I first heard the ending song Diana ross' "If We Hold On Together" I sobbed more then ever,now though when I watch it I can get over those scenes but they still bring a tear to my eye.