The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Suggestions for audio play plots

Malte279 · 60 · 11100

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The ones that can based on their schedule, or there may be other options, they'll all need to be discussed at the proper time.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are 2 ideas I have that may be plots.  

I'll try to work on one of my ideas, not sure if I can finish or do a very good job of it.

Another possible plot could be just how did Chomper get off the island, how did Ruby come to promise his parents to look after him.  How did Chomper get accepted by seemingly nearly every adult of the Great Valley.   The movie gang would be in it, but not in the beginning.  Not till later I would guess.  Maybe the late beginning, the beginning of the middle.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some maybe short plot ideas.  Some mentioned above could be short.  Short plots can be good to get practice in for the various stages needed to make even an fan amateur audio play.

Some ideas I had, likely not good ones: The gang (and maybe some non gang friends like Guido, ect) laying on their backs looking at the sky and saying what some of the sky puffies look like.  

A group of adults talking while around a watering place, while the gang and the other kids are off playing & the adults have some time to themselves without the kids being nearby.  

The Gang Telling each other stories (scary, funny, memories they had or that their parents told them about their childhood, ect)  

Picking a movie, or tv episode and doing a script of what happens 5-10 minutes after it ends.  

Doing a script for what happens in the 5-10 minutes right before a certain movie, or tv episode begins.  

Maybe doing what could be considered a cut scene from one of the movies, or putting in a scene that could be in a movie or episode.  

Just a few ideas I had for what may be short plots, but not very good ideas.  Though may as well list them and it may help others get good short plot ideas.  

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Some ideas I had, likely not good ones: The gang (and maybe some non gang friends like Guido, ect) laying on their backs looking at the sky and saying what some of the sky puffies look like.
I like the idea :yes
One could include mention of the "cloud image" which Littlefoot saw in the original movie (we don't know if he ever told his friends about it at all).
I had lately been thinking about a story in which treestars and the meaning of the "original treestar" to Littlefoot would have played, but with the main function of treestars as food, clouds would be a much better approach.
I continued translating the German audio play, but I think that it may be a bit too ambitious a project for a first try after all. One thing I did notice during the translating is how few pages are required for a script. It takes only three pages to make up for 10 minutes of audio play.
The Gang Telling each other stories (scary, funny, memories they had or that their parents told them about their childhood, ect)
This too is an idea one could work with. Perhaps one could have the gang trying to find out about the reasons for certain phenomena (rainbow, increasing and decreasing moon, thunderstorm etc.) and telling "their" interpretations of it.
The idea to make short prologues / epilogues for existing movies might work out, but it may be kind of problematic if we require knowledge of the respective episode from the audience to enable them to understand it. I would rather go for the other suggestions you made Kor :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Those ideas aren't bad at all! :) I think talking about memories could be fun... It's also a way to dig deeper into ones personality.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Guys, is there something up now? I don¥t have ideas myself, I am sorry, but this topic is inactiv now for almost one month Oo

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I had started on the movie idea but stopped since it would be long and I wasn't sure if anyone else was interested.  If so I'd go with shorter scene ideas first, since a movie is a big thing to tackle first.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have absolutely NOT given up on this project, but I must admit that work on my final university essay may delay my part of the work for a while. While I do not yet run out of time I do to some degree run out of leisure to make work conducted on behalf of this project good work.
I suppose the writing of a shorter script than that of the German audio plays I started with may be necessary.
Kor made a good suggestion to work with about the clouds (and there is a good possibility there to include something about the cloud image that led Littlefoot to the great Valley).
There are a couple of other possibilities for plots.
As far as I am concerned the project is far from being canceled, but for a while I won't be able to work much on it (and on other LBT projects). A delay, no more. Everyone else is also hearty invited to give some input.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The shorter ones may be best.  I've suggested a few ideas for those, anyone else have ideas?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Dec 1 2008 on  10:16 PM
maybe some of the LBT RPs on the site?
In all honesty, I think the LBT RPs on this site are more suited for novelization due to their size and almost epic nature.

And besides, most of them are not quite pure LBT.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
& some of them revolve around an oc or 2.  Though 1 or 2 may be ok, they would be pretty long audio plays, sorta like a mini series on tv.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I thought I'd throw together a very short pre first draft of one of the short scene ideas, this one is what could have been in the scene a bit after Ducky finds Spike, and there seems to be a cut then the 5 or them are traveling together.  I wasn't sure how Cera would respond to this so didn't put in any dialog for her, and it is only the beginnings since I was sure folks would not like this so thought it best to just do the beginning and not the whole scene:

Littlefoot calling out as he is looking for Ducky: “Ducky, can you hear me?”

Petrie says from the top of Littlefoot's head: “Me see Ducky she over there.”

Littlefoot : “I see her too, Ducky, hey Ducky.”

Ducky turns at the sounds of the voiced of her new friends.  

Ducky: “over here.  I am over here, yes I am, yep, yep, yep.”

Then to Spike

Ducky: “Those are my friends, we are going to the Great Valley, you can come too if you want, yes you can.”

The 3 others ( Littlefoot, Cera, & Petrie) arrive.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ There has been a scene cut from the movie right after Spike's hatching (everyone has seen the picture of Ducky trying to get Spike to stand up with that branch of berries which can in fact be seen in the following scene in the movie). In at least one (maybe in more; I'd have to check out) LBT book I have it is suggested that Cera actually opposed taking Spike along, but was overruled. Maybe something could be made from this.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I thought she likely would.  The first movie Cera is not exactly like the other movie Ceras.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hope you don't mind the double posting, but I thought it best so this post is kept separately.  Since the previous fragment was so small I'll go ahead and post the whole thing.  This is the first draft and likely not very good, and it is very short.  Not to long for this forum I hope.

Littlefoot calling out as he is looking for Ducky: “Ducky, can you hear me?”

Petrie says from the top of Littlefoot's head: “Me see Ducky.  She over there.”

Littlefoot : “I see her too, Ducky, hey Ducky.”

Ducky turns at the sounds of the voiced of her new friends.  

Ducky: “over here.  I am over here, yes I am, yep, yep, yep.”

Then to Spike

Ducky: “Those are my friends, we are going to the Great Valley, you can come too if you want, yes you can.”

The 3 others ( Littlefoot, Cera, & Petrie) arrive.

Cera: “Here you are.  Why did you go all the way over here?”

Ducky: “I had no choice.  You jumped on the log and I went flying.”

Cera says in an annoyed voice: “oh so it is my fault is it?”

Petrie: “You no flyer, you bigmouth.”

Ducky: “I know.”

Petrie thinks for a moment: “What was it like?”

Ducky: “Sorta scary, but sorta fun too.”

Spike walks out from a bit behind her having been eating this whole time and is looking for some more stuff to eat.  

Littlefoot: “Who is that.” Seeing Spike for the first time.  

Ducky: “That is Spike, he is coming to the Great Valley with is.”

Cera: “Oh, no he's not.”

Ducky: “He is all alone.  I helpeded him to hatch, I did, I did.”

Littlefoot: “Maybe his Mommy and Daddy are at the Great Valley.”

Cera: “He won't be able to keep up.  He'll just slow us down.”

Ducky: “He can keep up, he can.”

Littlefoot: “It would not be right to just leave him behind.”

Cera: “Look at how much he eats, and he doesn't look smart enough to know to follow us.”

Ducky goes over and picks up a thin branch with a leaf on it.  She waves it in front of Spike who licks his lips and jumps for it.  Ducky is able to lift it higher then he can jump.  She moves it around and sees Spike following.  

Ducky: “See, he can follow us.”

Littlefoot: “Looks like a good idea Ducky.  You can ride on me.”

Cera in an annoyed voice, “Fine, but if he falls behind or slows us down I'm not going back for him.”

Ducky gets on Littlefoot, riding on his tail facing backward and holding up the branch with the leaf and the gang of now five sets out.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice work Kor :)
I think this is a good basis to work with. In particular I like your idea of having Petrie ask Ducky about her "flight experience" and Cera's snapping about anyone suggesting anything to be her fault is also very much in character.
The scene is of course a scene taken out of the context of a much larger story rather than a full story by itself, but everyone here knows the surrounding story. So I think the play could be done without a long winded introduction (though we could perhaps reenact the movie scene preceding Spike's hatching as an intro). It is a realistic approach to test our abilities and if we can realize this we could consider larger plays.
There are a few additions and minor alternations may perhaps further improve your work. In case of some of the non-spoken directions you gave e.g.:

"Ducky goes over and picks up a thin branch with a leaf on it. She waves it in front of Spike who licks his lips and jumps for it. Ducky is able to lift it higher then he can jump. She moves it around and sees Spike following. "

We may either have to include a narrator e.g.:

"Narrator: Ducky looked a bit downcast at this. But suddenly her face brightened up. She had spotted a branch with a few berries on a nearby bush..."

Or (the option I think I would prefer) we would have the characters explain what they are doing respectively sounds giving some idea what is going on e.g.:

Ducky: "Wait! I have an idea, I do! I do!"
Sound of Ducky's steps
Cera: "What is she doing now?"
Petrie: "She at that bush... Hey there still berries in that bush!"
Sound of snapping twig followed by Duckys approaching steps
Littlefoot: "Ducky, what...?"
Ducky (interrupting): "If he does not follow us, but loves eating he may follow the food instead, yes he may!"

One thing that might be altered a little is Spike's apparently being wide awake the whole time. In the movie we see him settle down to sleep at the end of the hatching scene. It might also be another thing for Cera to complain about.

Thanks again Kor :)
I really think you gave us something to work with :yes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
being a rough first draft It'll need a lot of touching up.  

That is one of the 2 spots that is where there is an obvious cut to me.  The other is near the end where Littlefoot finds the Great Valley then heads out then comes back with the others.   I'm not sure if their dealing with the sharptooth in the original version happened after this or before as we saw.