The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Your stand on Walmart

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh!  My job is pushing me to my breaking point.  One thing they don't seem to be getting is that if you want to stay in business, you have to satisfy not just the customer, but also the employee!

What's wrong?  Here's the deal.

I can tell that they are making STUPID moves when it comes to getting the items out for customers.  Bottom line, we need to sell our merchandise, period.  If you can get the items out quickly, you can sell them easily.  When you can't, it creates a problem.

I've already discussed the problem with the back room, but in case you've forgotten...

We have to basically use a hand-held machine and register items out of the back room.  I don't understand why we have to do this.  We should just be able to take an item box right off the back room shelf that needs to be stocked, carry it out to the floor, open the box, fill the space and throw away the box.

That's what we used to do and it worked just fine.  So why do we have to register it out now.  There's absolutely NO reason for abandoning this old way and doing something worse instead.

The thing that seriously makes it worse is the fact that not everyone got a hand-held machine.  We were definitely not ready to make such a move.  If you aren't fully capable to make such a change, you shouldn't make it.  Bottom line!

Anyways, a new problem that has emerged is with returned items.  There's always a reason the customer wants to return an item and get a refund or make an exchange.  For those that are still in perfect, sell-able condition, we take them from the return counter and put them back on the shelf.

Thing is, we used to be able to get them out of the bins behind the return counter.  Now, we have to wait until a manager checks them in.  Why?

I mean, seriously.  You think an employee is dumb enough to not be able to tell if something is still in sell-able condition?  Is there an issue going on that I'm not aware of?  What's the problem?

Regardless of the reason though, there's no excuse for this.  It's not worth it to keep a customer waiting for a sell-able item to be stocked as soon as possible.

There were certain people that have left due to Wal*Mart just not keeping them financially stable anymore.  They really couldn't keep their home just because they couldn't pay the bills, and I cared about them.

I'm sorry, but I can't be a part of this anymore.  I'm finding myself another job, and when I do, I'm out.  Screw this place!  It's just not worth it anymore.

It can go out of business now for all I care.  I've had enough. :(

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How's the progress been on work, Pokeplayer?  You still with walmart for now?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I must admit that I recently bought a really nice 22" Acer monitor from Walmart.  It's great and all but I wish I didn't have to get it from there. :( The quality is amazing even though it's 16:10.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My family shops there for random (canned and bagged) food that's just cheaper than anywhere else.  We just figure why not and the wal-marts around here usually aren't too stupidly busy unless you go at peak times.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Now I have a real predicament here.  The thing is that my family is planning to take a trip to Yellowstone National Park in one month.  There is a problem, though.  I can't go.

You see, every year Walmart has this thing called an inventory month.  During this month, NOT A SINGLE EMPLOYEE can take a vacation.  I can understand this rule.  They need every single employee possible to make sure everything's stocked and filled.

Unfortunately, this is when my family is taking the vacation.  Near the end of the month is the planned vacation.  A part of me has been hoping to go to Yellowstone and this could be my one chance.

I really want to go, but work won't let me.

I don't know what to do. :(

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Can't help you I'm afraid.  You'll have to make a choice...what's more important--the job or your vacation?  Can you find another job in the area if WalMart isn't too happy about your choice?  If you can't find another job in the area, then losing the one you have isn't exactly...smart.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Much as I hate to say it... Petrie is right about the Wal-Mart job thing... jobs are scarce in this economy... even though Wal-Mart stinks, losing a job at it would not be a wise thing to do at the moment...

As for the vacation... if it is near the end of the month, you might be able to convince your family to delay the vacation until the start of NEXT month, so you can go...

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Jul 26 2009 on  10:53 AM
As for the vacation... if it is near the end of the month, you might be able to convince your family to delay the vacation until the start of NEXT month, so you can go...
Nope!  Plans have already been made.  My dad has already set up that week for vacation time.  It's hard to change it when it's set up.

Also, you guys know how I feel about my job.  If I lost my job it would feel like a wave of relief more than anything else.

Heck, if the place burned down I could care less.  That's how much I hate it at this point.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A lot of my friends can write fake doctor reports when they want to get out of work. :p Computers are so wonderful. :smile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 26 2009 on  05:57 PM
A lot of my friends can write fake doctor reports when they want to get out of work. :p Computers are so wonderful. :smile
Oh, Walmart has botched that plan with employees.  First off, when you're sick, you have to call a number.  The whole process, which takes a nice 5 minutes, must be completed at least one hour before your schedule begins, no exceptions.

Second, anything relating to or actually being a doctor's note they check on.  So yeah, they'll find out it's a fake.

Simply, you can't forge being sick for an extended period of time.  A short illness is all you can really fake in the end.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You've never seen the main hackernet computer system. :p With access to that system you can make any doctors note seem legit.  Unless they find out the REAL number of the doctor's office (if you used a real doctor's name), there's no way they can find out.

The safest way is to use a fake doctors name.  That way they can call the number on the doctor slip and the hackernet computer system can answer.  Then if they do a search for the doctors name and it doesn't come up, it's just mysteriously "not in their database". :lol

The hackernet computer voice approximation system is so unique you can't tell the difference between the computer and a real person.  That's because it works on a new algorithm that is too large to integrate into sub 500gb programs.  Needless to say, a program like this can't be stored on a normal computer system.  That's why "Microsoft Sam" sounds like a stupid computer. :p

But anyways, it doesn't really matter because you don't have access to that system.  I don't even know how to make a fake doctors slip and do all this.  I just have friends that do.  They assure me that it's "easy as pie". :smile

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I'm not sure what to say, if anything. I don't want to say anything that could indirectly help you lose a job, but it isn't good that you cannot go to Yellowstone either...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I suggest you either quit and go or keep your job and stay.  Those are pretty much your current options.  What's more important to you?  Your job or a vacation?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 26 2009 on  09:44 PM
I suggest you either quit and go or keep your job and stay.  Those are pretty much your current options.  What's more important to you?  Your job or a vacation?
Well I'll say this, as much as I hate it, I won't be quitting my job over this.  It would just be stupid in the end.

I'll try to work something out, but I doubt I can do anything about it.

I really hate this, but believe me, if I ever quit my job, it won't EVER be over something like this.  NEVER!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I officially hate my job to the core. :P:

I can't go on my vacation.  They won't let me. :(

Anyone know a way I can injure myself without the chance of killing myself? :D (Yeah, I'm THAT desperate to go. :P:)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, ask your friend to run over your foot with his truck. :p There are plenty of ways to hurt yourself with little chance of being killed.  That doesn't mean it's a good idea or will feel very good. :nyah Just live with it and keep your job.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 3 2009 on  07:28 PM
Yeah, ask your friend to run over your foot with his truck. :p There are plenty of ways to hurt yourself with little chance of being killed.  That doesn't mean it's a good idea or will feel very good. :nyah Just live with it and keep your job.
Actually, you'd be surprised how tough my body is.  It may not look like it, but I survived getting run over by a car with zero injuries. (Not even a scratch.) Then again, I consider that happening being a miracle out of all things.

Also, I've seen some of the employees at Walmart with broken legs and they STILL have to work.  Even those that are paralyzed from the waist down still have to work.  They just need a wheelchair. (At least that's what the managers say.) So seriously, if I want medical leave, it'll take something big.  Which is why I asked for something that won't kill me in the first place.

Then again, it is stupid, but they really know how to push people to their breaking point.  With all it's wrong doings, I'm surprised Walmart is still alive.

So yeah, I won't go and get myself injured.  That's just plain stupid. -_-

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like they are doing like stores and factories use to do in the 19th and earlier centuries.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have to take a long and hard look at a few things with my job currently.

With the way it's been scheduling me, I may have to do the one thing that I've never been able to do with my job, and that's quitting it.

You see, because of the current recession that the US nation is going through, we've had to make hour cutbacks.  In order to keep me on at full time, my Walmart had to second job me to the Hardware area.

Now, while this is good in the sense that it would give me a chance to expand my skills and show off my talents, thus giving me a chance to excel, it does come with a price.

My first job has me working morning or midday, while my second job has me working evenings.  This, at times, forces me to not get much sleep.  This especially happens Fridays, where I, most of the time, work until 11pm.  I then don't get to bed until after midnight and have to be up by six, since I have to be back to work by 8am.  Less than 6 hours of sleep is unhealthy by any standards.

Just for the sake of my health, I may have to quit my job.  I hope you guys understand.

I'm going to be taking a long hard look at this over the next few weeks and then make my decision.  Either way, things just won't be pretty for me. -_-

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Does it only happen that one day of the week--Fridays?  Six hours of sleep one night of the week won't kill you.  I used to stay up much later with my bowling job when we worked to 2am a couple of nights.  You want little sleep, there you go, and I made it out ok with a couple of five-six hours of sleep a night, once a week.  I don't think that will hurt as much as you think.