The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just started getting into Doctor Who.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yo, after seeing all the stuff concerning "Dr. Whooves" floating around the 'net, I got curious and went onto Netflix to check out Doctor Who. Sadly, only New Who is organized as a single series whereas I have to search out individual episodes of the old show. I've already watched everything The Ninth Doctor had to offer on his tragically short run and I'm halfway through the Tenth Doctor stuff. Does anyone have any specific episodes they think I should check out?

Also, heck with it, how did you become a Who fan?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I became a dr who fan way way back in either the late 70's or early 80's.  The first story I saw was one of Tom Baker's.  Episode 2 of the Armageddon Factor.  I'm not much into the new show.  I've seen the first 2.5 seasons.  

As for stories it depends on what you may like.  There are some bad stories of the classic era.  One thing, they did, since they had such a tiny budget, was to stretch out a story by padding out episodes.  Though back then the episodes were shown 1 25 minute episode a week.  The early first doctor stories had each episode with separate episode titles.  

There are some classic stories, but there are also many stories missing of the first 2 doctors, especially the 2nd one.  Though thanks to several fans who used reel to reel there exists all of the sound tracks of the missing stories.  Some stories have some episodes or a single one, or with some just clips or what I think are called telepics.

I can try to list what I think most consider classic stories of each doctor if you want.  Though some eras have different feels then others.  & the first 2 doctors are in black & white.  They didn't start doing color till the 3rd doctor onward.  Some folks I heard hate black & white and won't watch it so thought I"d mention it.  

---

Also there are some webcasts that bbci did of the 6, 8th and who at the time was the 9th doctor, till the bbc announced the show would be returning, then he became an alternate 9th doctor. I've not seen that one, I've only seen the 6th and 8th doctor ones, though it's been years since I saw them.  There was a 7th one but it's not online anymore It think & I didn't finish watching it since it seemed very weird and such.  Though those are in flash animation.  The 8th doctor one is based on an unfinished story of the 4th doctor, unfinished due to a strike a bbc.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Ironically I had never even heard of Dr. Who until I heard about Dr. Whooves online.  Still don't know who Dr. Who is.  I should check that out some day. :p

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 20 2012 on  02:49 AM
Ironically I had never even heard of Dr. Who until I heard about Dr. Whooves online. Still don't know who Dr. Who is. I should check that out some day. :p
Basically, he's a humanoid alien called a Time Lord, who travels through time and space in a ship resembling a 1950s police phone box, creatively solving the problems of the people he meets, whether it be saving a group of people from a murderous alien, settling a dispute between two species, or thwarting the destruction of a planet. When he does so, he is often intervening in an event that will have important consequences for the timeline, and must unfold in a certain way lest the universe (or a portion thereof, such as our Earth) descend into chaos. The original series lasted for over 25 years, from 1963 to 1989, and the new series (intended as a continuation of the old), began in 2005.

Contrary to popular misconception, the main character's name isn't "Dr. Who"; his real name is unknown, and he simply calls himself "The Doctor". The series title is a reference to the question that is on everyone's minds when he introduces himself. :p He appears human, but his species possesses two hearts, a virtually unlimited lifespan (the Doctor himself is at least 900 years old), and the ability to instantly replace every single cell in their body if they are fatally injured, taking on a completely new form in the process. (This is one of the secrets to the original series' longevity; whenever the actor playing the Doctor decided to leave the show, all the showmakers had to do was hire a new actor and have the previous Doctor "regenerate" into him). His living ship, the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space), is meant to disguise itself wherever it goes, but became stuck in the form of a police box when the camouflage mechanism broke while visiting 1950s Britain (The Doctor hasn't fixed it because he likes it that way). Its interior is a pocket dimension, making it much bigger on the inside than its external appearance would suggest.

I discovered the show back when the new series first aired on the Sci-Fi channel back in 2005 or 2006. At the time I had an obsession with watching movies with interesting aliens and monsters in them, and the commercials for Doctor Who looked to provide plenty of those. I soon became hooked, and since then I've watched every episode of the new series, and a handful of the old series' episodes.

Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 19 2012 on  11:39 PM
Does anyone have any specific episodes they think I should check out?
Because I still haven't seen much of the original series, I don't have a whole lot of episode recommendations, but the Fourth Doctor serial "Genesis of the Daleks" might be a good one to see, as it establishes some important series mythology regarding the origin of the Daleks. Also perhaps "The Time Warrior" with the Third Doctor, which marks the original appearance of one of the Doctor's recurring foes.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
1st Doctor Era (Black and white only): Season 1.  I"ll do a general rundown of the episodes of this season.  

An Unearthly Child: (4 episodes): I liked the first episode, but not episodes 2-4 of this story.  Some dr who fans give episodes 2-4 a separate title such as the tribe of gum, ect, since the first episode is a separate story to episodes 2-4.  Also in this era there was, as of yet, no overall story name, each individual episode had it's own title.   Also this is the period before the 1st doctor was a hero figure, he is what some call an anti hero, or maybe even villainous to an extent.  

The Daleks (7 episodes): Not sure if you like daleks or not.  I don't personally, but it seems every other dr who fan but me loves them for some reason.   But, overall I liked this story, though some elements of it make no sense.  Dalek fans may like this 7 episode story.  I  didn't mind it overall.  Unlike some other long stories it doesn't seem to drag or have to much padding.  Though That maybe in part since I don't watch all the episodes all at once in 1 sitting like some do, but 1 dr who episode a day.  Overall I'd say an ok to interesting story,even though the daleks are in it.  

The Edge of Destruction (2 episodes): not to good, and odd at times, very odd.  Though the end of this is the turning point where the doctor becomes the hero type figure most know the 1st doctor to be.  

Marco Polo (7 episodes) Totally lost, all 7 episodes are lost.  Only some telepics, promotion stills & audio available.  I watched a loose cannon reconstruction and didn't like it much.  Way to much padding and it drug a lot.  Also it is the first of the historical, where no aliens appear, and the only sci-fi element is the tardis, which is not seen much, though more then in other historical.   The only aliens that appear are the doctor and his grand daughter Susan.  

Keys of Marinus (6 episodes): each episode is mainly stand alone with an overall story arc that ties them together.  Overall I liked the story, but as in some dr who stories there are some spots that make no sense or are a bit weak.  

The Aztecs (4 episodes): 2nd pure historical.  The only sci-fi element is the tardis, seen at the beginning and ending.  As in Marco Polo the only aliens seen are the doctor and Susan.  Overall I liked it, though it did feel to me to drag, have some padding to stretch it out for 4 episodes.  

The Sensorites (6 episodes): could not get past the first few minutes.  I remember watching it decades ago, recently, a year or few ago, tried watching it again and still didn't like it.  

The Reign of Terror (6 episodes): episodes 4 & 5 are lost.  Never saw this but since it is a pure historical I'd guess it does drag and have a lot of padding.  I may try watching an episode later on today to see what I think, but in general I don't like the pure historicals much.  The last story of season 1.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, Kor, I'm preferring the goofier David Tennant to the more serious Christopher Eccleston, so I guess I'm going to like the goofy Doctors.

So you're pretty much in the same boat I am, huh, Pangaea?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
For a while in the classic series they seemed to alternate goofy and serious doctor.  2 and 4 were goofy.  The rest were mainly serious, with some comedy worked in in dialog and such.  The 1st wasn't a very nice guy at first.  Though he did change.  This was Colon Baker's idea, I heard him say.  To start off similar like the 1st doctor then grow more likable over time.  Though the 1st doctor did not take several seasons, but several stories to change, from what I recall.

Of the 2nd doctor most I've heard some saying Tomb of the Cybermen being among his better ones.  Though a lot of his stories are lost, or have 1 episode left.

--------

The 4th doctor has what I've heard many call classic stories, and I remember liking.  

From his first season: I find it easier to instead of thinking season 14 thinking tom baker's 2nd season.

The Ark in Space: a sort of sci-fi horror bit.  

The Genesis of the Daleks: shows the origin of the daleks, and the only portrayal of Davros that I liked.  

2nd season: Pyramids of Mars: many like this story, & I recall liking it, though the ending is kinda meh to me.  The rest of the story I liked better then the ending.

3rd season: The Talons of Weng-Chiang.  Shows the doctor in an outfit other then his usual one, and a story with Leela in it.  I liked the story overall as I recall.  

4th season: Horror of Fang Rock

his 6th season:   City of Death during the era of the 2nd Romana and K-9.  I remember liking the story overall.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you, Kor! I'll be on the lookout for these episodes.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I watch a lot of the old episodes on Dailymotion, and this guy is generally my go-to http://www.dailymotion.com/tardismedia#video=xhxpah I just that it only goes 4-11
She/He even has the remakes of the first two Dalek plots with Christopher Walken and a few parodies...one of which has Rowen Atkinson!

And I personally recommend you watch the Sensorites. It was an pretty cool episode, and features what just happens when a society based completely on the basis of trust gets shaken up a little by strangers from another world and time that they don't know are trustworthy or not. Sounds silly, but it really wasn't.

And Doctor Whooves got me into this too =P

Also, considering the Doctor's age, he's definitely not 900. He was 900 in the Sylvester McCoy era, and many, many, many years have passed for him since then. He'd probably be, say 1300 or something. And for a Time Lord, that's YOUNG! So ignore his whining about "being so old" in the new series.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Aug 20 2012 on  05:57 PM
Also, considering the Doctor's age, he's definitely not 900. He was 900 in the Sylvester McCoy era, and many, many, many years have passed for him since then. He'd probably be, say 1300 or something. And for a Time Lord, that's YOUNG! So ignore his whining about "being so old" in the new series.
Rule #1: The Doctor lies. It's safe to assume that applies to his age. :p

On another subject, I wonder how many new Doctor Who fans have been propagated by that one random background character from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. :lol

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Many, I'm sure.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
But at least for me, that rule was only established once by River only very recently. So I personally don't buy it. When it comes to his age though, I think he would just keep it ambiguous like he keeps his name ambiguous. Or at least leaves it open that he's way, way, way, WAY older than 900.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess he is vague, maybe sensitive so he keeps it at about 900.

Another 2nd doctor story I heard good things about is The Invasion, but I've not seen that one before.  It has 2 episodes missing, but they have flash animated it.  I think it's episodes 1 & 4 that are flash animated. It has a total of 8 episodes.  

I have the dvd and will watch it when I get to it.  I have rewatched some 1st doctor stories but I stopped and am waiting till Planet of Giants comes out on dvd before I continue.  

I wonder if they will do that with some other stories that are missing 1 or 2 episodes like The Tenth Planet, The Ice Warriors, and a few others.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've heard good things about The Tenth Planet. For one thing, the Cybermen in those episodes are creepy as hell. I don't like the later Cybermen designs.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've seen the Tenth Planet and liked it.  They are a bit creepy indeed.  

One example of a bit of dialog, not sure exactly who spoke or the exact dialog, I think it may have been Polly, but it went something like:

Polly: "But we are cold and hungry."

Cyberman: "You will not know cold nor hunger when you are like us."

Sadly the final episode is lost, but the bbc did a reconstruction I think.  The doctor's regeneration for the 1st time was caught, if I remember right, by a fan using a hand camera that they had back then, from 2 different sources I think.  I also heard it is from a clip from Blue Peter, not sure which is true.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Indeed. To me, the Cybermen in their introductory episode look the most like what their concept is supposed to be: man conjoined with robotic. They're covered in surgical cloth and they have all kinds of metal and wiring sticking out of them. The effect is just uncanny valley in its purest form.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I really like the first design of the cyberman.  The latter designs I don't like very much, and other things also.  This design, to me, makes them more alien then the latter appearances.  They also seemed almost or totally emotionless, as I recall.  The latter versions do have some emotions, such as anger.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm a new Doctor Who fan, too. I caught several episodes of the new series whilst sitting around on my vacation a week or so ago. I like Matt Smith's 11th Doctor the most so far, though 10's cool, too.

I was just wondering if I should start watching the new series from the 9th Doctor and onwards or if it'd be okay to start from 11th's first appearance.

Those first cybermen are creepy looking, the later designs are all kind of generic robot it seems. I haven't seen any Dalek episodes yet, so not sure what I think of them.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I personally couldn't stop laughing at the Cybermen in their first appearance. The idea is that they are humans subjugated to be robotic, uniform, etc. etc...and that's just how they are in the new series for me. And what's more, they SOUND scary. It was the voices of the very first ones that I just couldn't stop laughing at. I take them a bit more seriously.

But yeah, you should definitely check out the Dalek episodes. I'm a bit of a Dalek nut...ehh, maybe too much of one.

Granted they're both scary, but in a way, Cybermen have human backgrounds. The Daleks don't have a single drop of humanity in them, and that makes them worse than the Cybermen by far. But what's more is they're totally organic. The "robot" we see is just a battletank with an occupant inside, and are bred to be the way they are generation by generation. Other than that, I'm not sure why I like the Daleks better than the Cybermen. They just seem far more "interesting".

But the other monsters I like are the Drashig from Carnival of Monsters, which are just solely predators and nothing else more and the Vashta Nerada. I would have but the Weeping Angels on my list, but they've run their course for me. Running into one of them is better than running into a Cyberman...or a Dalek...or Vashta Nerada...or whatever that thing on Midnight was. I think it was a super-extremophile of some kind.

On another note, I am ITCHING for Asylum of the Daleks...and dinosaurs on a spaceship (then riding a triceratops on a spaceship!).
The very idea of <i>every. Single. Solitary</i> Dalek asking the Doctor for help, the bane of their existance and probably the reason why a good 98% were in the Asylum in the first place, is just mind boggling but awesome at the same time. And getting every Dalek they could for filming? FANGASAM! Even greater so if the Cult of Skaro shows up briefly. I can only dream for Dalek X, from one of the books and one of my favorite Daleks, but oh well.
And for Amy and Rory to go away. And ESPECIALLY for River to get a move on to that blasted library! I'm just about sick of them. They would have been okay if they had not sort of made the storyline their b****. Especially River. I could give you a ton of reasons why I can't wait for River to get along to the Library, though that would be a cool episode to see how that finally happens.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Fair enough.

I find the New Who Daleks to be very frightening, if only because you can't defeat them by tipping them over. Hell, touch them in New Who and you burst into freaking flames! I do, however, find what Daleks represent in any era of Doctor Who to be terrifying beyond words.