The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How you fell in love with dinosaurs

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
If you are an extinct animal enthusiast like me,i'd like to know,how did you began liking dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals???If you ask me,it was because of this:

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://madagascarpalace87.proboards.com/
For me, it was the very original Jurassic Park. I acquired most of the pieces of my fossil collection several years after that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think with me it was some cartoon shows I saw as a kid, though I doubt any here would have heard of them.  & one that was live action.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
It was all the Land Before Time for me. I've always loved those films. I also recall having this huge book on dinosaurs that I loved skimming through to see the pictures and how big they were compared to humans, but I have no idea where that is now, unfortunately. :cry

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Rocky

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It was either Mighty Morphing Power rangers, the flintstones or land before time.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Unlike most of the people here it seems, I'm not really a dinosaur fan.  I like animals in general, but seeing as I can never see or interact with a dinosaur I really don't have a lot of interest in them.  I just like LBT because it's a good show with good lessons and it reminds me of another (perhaps better) time in my life.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am the same as lbtlover. No special interest in dinosaurs, more in the series itself :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Gosh, I have no idea when or how I became interested in dinosaurs. It was a long time ago, I know that much. My mom theorizes that she got me a book on dinosaurs when I was very young which sparked my obsession, but if that is indeed the case, we’ve long forgotten what book it was. I think I was into dinosaurs before I watched The Land Before Time, but that movie definitely had an immeasurable influence on my love of them. My favorite species back then were Tyrannosaurus, Struthiomimus, and Pteranodon (not a dinosaur, as I knew even then, but always associated with them). Naturally, Petrie and Sharptooth were my favorite characters in LBT, and you can bet that I was ecstatic years later when I discovered LBT II with its lovable egg stealers. :p

The first dinosaur documentary I ever remember seeing was a 1992 PBS series called "The Dinosaurs!" (the second episode of which can be found here on Youtube), which contained several animated sequences of various Mesozoic creatures, which remain some of my favorite ever documentary depictions of prehistoric life. (This one, by far one of the most memorable to me, featuresóin order of appearanceóa pair of Herrerasaurus, a small cynodont, a rhynchosaur, and a Saurosuchus. Another clip, which I can't find online at the moment, showed) Sadly I broke the tape on which the series was recorded, after which my parents bought me another documentary on VHS, 1985's "Dinosaur!", which I didn't enjoy as much as its predecessor, but nonetheless satisfied my dinosaur documentary needs for the next few years. It contained stop-motion sequences of Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus browsing on trees, a Monoclonius (now Centrosaurus) being stalked and attacked by a Tyrannosaurus, and a family of Hadrosaurus whose nest is raided by a Struthiomimus, which eats several eggs before being chased off by the parents (who, in possibly the most unintentionally[?] hilarious moment in the whole show, mournfully inspect their now mostly destroyed nest, realize that there's one egg that can't be accounted for, andóI swearóturn and "yell" furiously at the retreating Struthiomimus as it struts off with the missing egg, presumably cackling villainously under its breath). Afterwards the poor Struthiomimus is ambushed and killed by a pair of Deinonychus (which are not only anachronistic to the time period, but get their name pronounced "DINE-o-NICK-us" by the narrator :huh:). Ironically, we lost the video a few years later, and afterwards rediscovered “The Dinosaurs!” at a college library, which promptly returned to being the most regularly watched dinosaur documentary in our household.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't watch Jurassic Park until several years later, though at some point my dad recorded a documentary on the making of the movie, which became yet another of our family’s frequently re-watched videos. The program featured most of Jurassic Park’s major dinosaur sequences, and as a result, the movie itself made less of an impression on me when I finally watched it than it probably would have otherwise, though it nonetheless became one of my obsessions. I was fully aware of most of the well-known errors in the movie even before I saw it, but I loved it so much that I depicted JP-style dinosaursóparticularly my favorite: the frill-necked venom-spitting mini-Dilophosaurusóin many of the drawings and stories I made for the next few years (not that I ever claimed these to be scientifically accurate).

A new chapter in my dinosaur obsession opened in 2000 or 2001 (I can’t remember which), when I received the DVD and companion book of Walking With Dinosaurs for my birthday. Unsurprisingly, I loved it, and it became my new favorite dinosaur show, though ironically the episodes that made the greatest impression on me were the ones that focused on non-dinosaurs: “Cruel Sea” (marine reptiles, especially Liopleurodon) and “Giant of the Skies” (pterosaurs, mainly Ornithocheirus). For a time, I considered WWD to be my premier dinosaur resource: the most accurate and up-to-date documentary around. That turned out to be a huge mistake. :oops It makes me feel even stupider that I was aware that much of the behavior of the creatures in the show was conjectural, but assumed the physical appearance and size statistics of many of them to be scientifically accurate. It was only later that I found out that the sizes of many of the creatures, particularly Liopleurodon and Ornithocheirus, were grossly exaggerated; the result of dubious estimates of fragmentary fossil remains that often had not yet been scientifically described. (Annoyingly, I’m still finding books that state Liopleurodon is stated to have been 80 feet long. I’m not too surprised that I was fooled, but the authors of these books, some of whom are scientists themselves? :bang). Over time, as I continued to watch dinosaur documentaries, I realized that many of them were doing the same thing as Walking With Dinosaurs (sometimes worse): portraying outdated, poorly researched, or downright inaccurate data (and sometimes pure speculation) as fact, and overdramatizing their creatures at the expense of scientific accuracy and often plain realism. As a result, my interest in dinosaur documentaries began to wane, and sadly I don’t watch them much anymore. :neutral (There are a few shows, such as Dinosaur Revolution, that I’ve heard good things about and am curious to see, but so far I haven’t gotten around to it.) On that note, I find it a little disturbing that few, if any, of the dinosaur documentaries of the past decade have had all their facts straight (and these aren’t facts that have been overturned by the onward march of paleontology since the documentaries were produced; I’m talking things that science already knows about that’s still being portrayed incorrectly).

Okay…this was more of a history of my love of dinosaurs (mainly my experiences with dinosaur films) than a story of how I first became interested in them. :oops I guess I’ll stop here.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Falling in love with dinosaurs... Hmm, well I don't really rememer exactly when I started loving dinosaurs, it was kind of a gradual response after watching the dinosaur-mania of the early nineties: We're Back!, LBT, as well as Dink the Dinosaur ;) ahh, obscure vids of the nineties.
After that came JP - a fna of the graphics, but not of non-sentient dinos :p call me crazy - Disney's Dinosaur (squeee!!) and WWD, and then, epicness of all epics, Dinotopia!!
I've seen some of Jurassic Fight Club - epic kick-assery, pardon my language, as well as some documentaries on BBC, and Dinosaur Revolution. Good to see we're improving our knowledge of these fantastic creatures!

... Do Dinosaur Train and Dino Dan count as well? O_o
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Falling in love with dinosaurs... Hmm, well I don't really rememer exactly when I started loving dinosaurs, it was kind of a gradual response after watching the dinosaur-mania of the early nineties: We're Back!, LBT, as well as Dink the Dinosaur  ahh, obscure vids of the nineties.

Ah, another person who remembers We're Back! I used to love that film when I was a kid...only problem was I didn't have it on tape (I'd rented it or seen it on telly or something) and by the time I was old enough to want to seek it out I had no idea what it was called! Luckily it got screened one year as part of the Easter kids movies and that helped me track it down!

Anyway, dinosaurs...dunno, really, I wasn't the kind of kid who was into dinosaurs when I was young - or at least, no more than I was into other things - but I think it sort of happened around the time I started watched the LBT movies again. Don't remember if it was sparked by watching the films, reading Dinotopia for the first time, or just by looking up random dinosaurs on Wikipedia, but something just amazed me and made me go "man, these were some amazing and fascinating creatures"! So I've been a fan of dinosaurs ever since (and dragons; got into them a few years afterwards)!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I liked dinosaurs, when I was younger, but today it's just the series :)
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Almaron,Apr 4 2013 on  02:37 AM
Ah, another person who remembers We're Back! I used to love that film when I was a kid...only problem was I didn't have it on tape (I'd rented it or seen it on telly or something) and by the time I was old enough to want to seek it out I had no idea what it was called!
Heh, I watched that movie till its almost literal demise :o
my librarian told me it had to get repaired one time bc I kept borrowing it...
 XDD
I'm the type that watches movies or listens to songs over and over again; something to do with sketching the characters afterwards. First time I got ango out, I watched it three times in the week we had it :p
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
It started with a pack of Dinosaur Top Trump cards...

And the rest as they say, is history!  ;)

Seriously, ever since then, ANYTHING dinosaur-related has gained my attention. Books, TV documentaries, even passing mentions in random, disconnected things. I first saw Jurassic Park aged about seven (it's only rated PG in the UK), when it was being shown on TV, and loved it so much, I just wanted to watch it again.

I bought the VHS tape of it and there was a trailer for the Land Before Time in it (don't know how that works, considering LBT was released after Jurassic Park, but no matter!)

Ghostfishe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I only fell in live with them after much angsting, wheedling, and guilt-tripping of parents.

I think The Flintstones was my first introduction per se--but I was too young (four or five) and they were too cartoony for me to really understand what I was looking at. I started paying more attention after seeing a commercial for Jurassic Park, and their dinosaurs looked a lot better than the Flintstones ones! I asked my parents "what are dinosaurs?" and got two totally different replies--my dad's knee-jerk reaction was to tell me that they were made up and never really existed, and my mom immediately told me that they had. But she had never been a dinosaur buff, so she couldn't tell me much else.

I have no idea why my dad didn't want me to know about them, but it made things hard because my mom was reluctant to help me learn about them while my dad was so strongly against the idea. And she was afraid that kids' books about dinosaurs were full of crap. Which was a fair concern--there were basically no good books that we could find.

It got a little better right before I turned six. Some friends brought the VHS version of Jurassic Park over to watch. I whined, wheedled, guilt tripped, and cried unashamedly until even my dad finally caved, and they let me watch it with them. Yeah, a 5 and 3/4-year-old watching a PG-13 movie... but you have to admit, it was unashamedly cruel refusing to tell me anything about dinosaurs, and then bringing home a cool movie about them. I would've had to sit in my room the whole time in order to not watch it... like a time-out practically... since the rest of our house was all open.

The good news was, my dad finally relented after that, and I was able to convince my mom to finally start buying me dinosaur toys. My first one was a Triceratops that looked like this (far left); I still have it in storage, as a memento.

Years later, some friends gave us their old junk to sell at our garage sale, including some old kids' books from the 80's. Two were about dinosaurs. They were out of date and didn't even agree with each other--but they were filled with Gregory Paul's wonderful oil paintings. After even more wheedling (dad didn't want us to keep the books!) I was allowed to keep them. Finally!

I have no idea why my dad argued so hard against my having dinosaur-related stuff. Just a year after that, he completely flipflopped and not only didn't mind, he actively helped me look for newer books at the library. Our library's books were even more outdated than the ones I had at home, so my mom ended up helping me do research on the internet instead, just to try to get some decent information.

So I'm a butt when it comes to cross-researching and checking references today, because that was how I first started learning about dinosaurs. :lol:  I don't think it hurt too much for me to have to learn to take things with a grain of salt--or to start learning how to do research as early as I did. But it's gotten a lot easier since I became old enough to use search engines for myself, and the quality of dinosaur books--even for kids--has gotten a lot better!

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I've always been fascinated by dinosaurs. Land Before Time was my first exposure to dinosaurs. I remember when I was in 2nd, grade, I wanted to be a paleontologist.  :smile I remember how disappointed I was after 2nd grade when my teachers no longer talked about dinosaurs as part of our lessons  :cry Idk, I've just always loved dinosaurs!  :DD

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
the land before time made me fall in love with dinosaurs i love those movies

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
As a kid, I watched Dink the little dinosaur, and liked it very much, at that time, for some time, I liked dinosaurs, and wanted them to be extant again, and then I watched LBT VI, and I found it similar to it, but also good.
In 2015, I happened to watch it again, and I watched every movie except XIII. I occasionally read something about dinosaurs on wikipedia. Today I know a little more about dinosaurs, than I knew in my childhood, and I can be glad, that birds are actually dinosaurs too, so they never absolutely vanished.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm sure I followed a very normal pattern to reach this forum and dinosaur love in general: Jurassic Park, followed by LBT, Dink, and Walking with Dinosaurs with Nigel Marvin. There was also Dinotopia, this old miniseries where humans lived in a hidden El Dorado-style kingdom where dinosaurs never died out, that I was a huge fan of.