The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Geometric Ponderings

rhombus · 131 · 18184

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would you want to be?

Hmmm... that would be a tough call between Canada and Australia. Although I lack direct experience residing in either of those countries I so like the combination of federalism (which ensures some variation in local policies), Anglosphere culture, and good economic policies. Between them though I do find Australian culture to be fascinating so it would probably edge out Canada in my mind.

If you could choose to live in the LBT universe forever, would you take that opportunity? What species would you want to be transformed into?

I would not as much of what I value in life (including intellectual pursuits, reading, and culture) would, of course, be denied to me if I became a dino and was stuck in that world. Now, that being said, if I were given a few accommodations (maybe the rainbowfaces could let me borrow their interdimensional Wifi-enabled laptop on Wednesdays or something :p) and the proper training I would certainly want to be some kind of flyer. The combination of relative safety being in the air and the ability to fly would make that an experience I could not pass up.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
I guess my timing was a little off, but what kind of books do you enjoy reading in your spare time? I'm sorry if you've been asked this before. :smile
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
How do you feel about putting pineapple on pizza?  :^^spike

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I guess my timing was a little off, but what kind of books do you enjoy reading in your spare time? I'm sorry if you've been asked this before. :smile

I've answered this one before I do believe, but it is a good question for me to reconsider as some time has passed.  :yes The books that I have most enjoyed on the fiction side of things are Watership Down, the original Dune books by Frank Herbert, and the Foundation trilogy of Isaac Asimov. In my spare time, however, I probably read a 1:3 ratio of fiction to non-fiction, with my favorite non-fiction books typically relating to science, history, and political science.

How do you feel about putting pineapple on pizza?  :^^spike

I like pineapple on many things but pizza is not one of them.  :p

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Do you know how to swim? If so, do you enjoy the activity?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Do you know how to swim? If so, do you enjoy the activity?

Well, I know the mechanics behind swimming but I cannot swim. :p

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Of course you would. :rolleyes

Do you like to drink Coca-Cola or any other types of soda?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Of course you would. :rolleyes

Do you like to drink Coca-Cola or any other types of soda?

I do drink soda on occasion though I favor tea and coffee as my beverages of choice.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
What is the longest duration of time you've ever lived in a single home? Conversely, what is the shortest you've lived in a single home? (Not counting vacations and the like.)

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Would you rather live in an urban, suburban, or rural area?

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
If you had the ability to travel to the past or the future, which year would you like to visit?
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What is the longest duration of time you've ever lived in a single home? Conversely, what is the shortest you've lived in a single home? (Not counting vacations and the like.)

The shortest duration would have to be two years, which is how long I lived at my first apartment during graduate school. The longest duration would have to be when I lived with my father during my childhood, which was around sixteen years.

What would be a perfect day for you?

A perfect day for me would probably be a day that had nothing pressing to do.  On such a day I could enjoy some reading and also take on some writing.  Then, in the evening, I could do some social activities, like hanging out with friends.

Would you rather live in an urban, suburban, or rural area?

Definitely rural. I cannot stand the pace of life and the dehumanizing effect of a huge population that one is exposed to in the cities. I also cannot stand the social stratification and disconnection from nature that happens in a suburban environment.  A rural or semi-rural environment is probably the only environment in which I could maintain my sanity.

If you had the ability to travel to the past or the future, which year would you like to visit?

Hmmm... that is a good question.  If I could just visit with some sufficient training to be able to fit in (and not stay forever) I would love to visit Rome during the days of the Late Republic, but prior to the rise of Sulla. I find Roman culture to be fascinating and I would love to see it first-hand.  A close second for me would be to visit the future year of 2100. Depending on how things are at that time I might decide to stick around.  :p

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Finally! Well, this is the first admin I can ask this question to. :)

In one word, describe your GOF experience. Also give a rating from a scale of 1-10.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Do you like to read at all? If so, what are some good (or bad) books you've read lately? :)littlefoot

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In one word, describe your GOF experience. Also give a rating from a scale of 1-10.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the question.  Do you mean my experience with the films in general?  And what would a rating mean in this context?

Do you like to read at all? If so, what are some good (or bad) books you've read lately?

I tend to read more non-fiction (scientific papers, history books, and books relating to political science) than fictional works, although I am a huge fan of hard science fiction and alternative fiction novels.  As for interesting reads lately, I have read the following in the last six months:

"A History of Fascism, 1914-1945" by Stanley G. Payne

"The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined" by Steven Pinker

"The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion" by Johnathan Hadt

"Caesar Life of a Colossus" by Adrian Goldsworthy

"Augustus: Emperor of Rome" by Adrian Goldsworthy

"The Death of Democracy: Hitler's Rise to Power and the Downfall of the Weimar Republic" by Benjamin Carter Hett

"Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts

I would recommend all of these apart from Adrian Goldsworthy's works, which I found to be mediocre summations of the great men of Rome which added little to my understanding of them.  "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion" is quite honestly one of the most important books I have read in the last decade and this constitutes my third reading of that particular tome.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Are you an early bird or a night owl?

I am generally a night owl, although I am forced to be an early bird in the summer semesters due to the 8am classes that I need to teach.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

When I said to describe your GOF experience in one word, I was referring to the actual forum that we're on right now. Then I asked for a rating to accompany that, so I know how much you like/dislike the forum in general.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion you had about my question. :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

When I said to describe your GOF experience in one word, I was referring to the actual forum that we're on right now. Then I asked for a rating to accompany that, so I know how much you like/dislike the forum in general.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion you had about my question. :)

Thank you for the clarification.  :smile That is indeed much more clear. 

If I had to describe my GOF experience in one word it would probably be "friendship" as I have built a lot of friendships here. And though some members who I have previously enjoyed conversing with have left over the years, other new members have joined; keeping the forum a dynamic and vibrant place.  As for a numerical rating, I would give it a solid 9.75/10.  There are always gripes that come with any community, but in the GOF they are far outweighed by the positives in my mind.  :)littlefoot