The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

PS4 and PS4 Pro

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If you haven't heard of it, the PS4 Pro is a higher-specced PS4 intended to display content for 4K TVs. It doesn't actually render games in 4k (as that requires more processing power than even a high-end PC has to maintain 60 frames per second at all times) but the idea is that it is more powerful to handle VR gaming and generally support better performance in games and better graphics.

I was considering picking up a PS4 Pro, as I don't have a PS4 yet...until I found an article that talked about a reason why that may not be the best idea.

Initially I expected PS4 games to just...run better on the PS4 Pro because it was more powerful. Reports are showing, however, that because the Pro is more powerful, developers are cranking up graphic quality when a game is played on the Pro in many cases. As a result, performance can actually be LOWER than running the game on the PS4 basic console because it's running higher detail levels.

Basically, the conundrum is this: Which console will be better-suited for getting the best possible experience over the years?

The Pro is more powerful but if developers push it too far, with no option to turn these enhancements off (which it won't let you do because it's a console, let's be honest. Graphics options aren't things you get in console games), games might perform worse than the same game on the basic console.

On the flipside, since the Pro is more powerful, intuitively it makes sense that's the one you want to get if you want to guarantee longer-term maximum-quality experiences in general...right?

Does anyone have any thoughts about these consoles? Which one makes more sense to you guys?