The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Disney’s Dinosaur (2000)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Well the intent was not to use dialogue at all, and let it be a Walking With Dinosaurs type film.

I am glad they added dialouge, I think for the most part if works.

As for pee jokes, those no doubt were for kids.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
I can't believe I haven't mentioned this but James Newton Howard's score is absolutely incredible.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I can't believe I haven't mentioned this but James Newton Howard's score is absolutely incredible.

Indeed, the raptor chase scene music was actually used in variation in Alien: Covenant.

I use to listen to this score over and over. Its magnificent.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Fun fact: You know that shot of the Brachiosaurs that's on the DVD cover? That shot was a seamless blend of two locations, Florida and Venezuela. If I hadn't watched the BTS I would have never have guessed that. It's absolutely seamless.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I did not know that! :)

The real locations really added to the realism. I doubt any animated dino film will ever go to such great pains to make everything seem real from our world to CG.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Another thing I love is there's no true villian. The Carnotaur's are just acting based on their predator instincts and Kron is trying to help his herd but in a very stubborn way.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Another thing I love is there's no true villian. The Carnotaur's are just acting based on their predator instincts and Kron is trying to help his herd but in a very stubborn way.

Great point. The two Carnotaurs are just hunting, not some vendetta. Kron is a jerkasaurus, but not evil.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Just in general the early to middle 2000's was the golden age for dinosaur media.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
It was indeed. I really like the characters, Aladar, Neera, Emma, and the Lemars. Great designs and voice acting.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I am saddened Disney abandoned Dinosaur II, it was even in pre-production. Makes no sense because Dinosaur was a huge box office success. And if Disney is to compete with Universal’s dinomania, a la Jurassic World, Disney will need a dinosaur franchise. Why not use one they already have started?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:16:38 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I didn't know they were planning on a second one.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Yeah, it was in pre-production and everything. And then for some reason they pulled the plug. I really hope they consider making Dinosaur II. Great thing about voice actors if you can’t tell they’ve aged.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Ah yes, the movie I own on VHS that was pretty much my first REAL PG film, because most of the PG films nowadays are just kid flicks…

Those letters before the movie starts though…scared me back then…

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Ah yes, the movie I own on VHS that was pretty much my first REAL PG film, because most of the PG films nowadays are just kid flicks…

It was an intense opening sequence to be sure. I had already been baptized in Jurassic Park, so I was ready for it.

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

It was an intense opening sequence to be sure. I had already been baptized in Jurassic Park, so I was ready for it.

That’s not really what I meant but yeah, the opening sequence was scary as well.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

That’s not really what I meant but yeah, the opening sequence was scary as well.

Do you mean the scene of Aladar in the egg?

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Do you mean the scene of Aladar in the egg?

Does this explain it?  This was always as the beginning of Disney VHS and DVD tapes from 1997-2005, and it scared me when I was little…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPRqx5D4chA

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Oh the THX sound. Yeah that is intense, especially when you realize it often went before very mature R rated films.

FallenTreeStar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I need to go back and rewatch this as I don’t exactly recall much of it. I want to say I rented it from the library or blockbuster back in the day. Is it sad? I have to be in certain moods to watch strong emotional movies about animals with powerful emotional music. Lol I’m a sucker for animal movies but I find it hard to watch a lot of them because I get too emotional about them  :thudLOL

Also it’s funny, Chomper, that you noted it being your first PG movie as I have this vague memory of feeling “adultish” watching it back then. Something in the movie made me feel like “oh my mom wouldn’t want me to see this” or “wow I’ve never seen/heard that before” feeling. I don’t remember what it was but I remember feeling that way at some point about it.
- Let your heart guide you. It whispers, so listen closely.