The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

75th anniversary of the Atom Bomb

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
On this day 75 years ago, the United States dropped the first atomic weapon on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. It was a truly devastating weapon that undoubtedly changed the world forever.

To this day, there is still debate over whether or not unleashing such a horrible weapon was the right decision. In my opinion, it was tragically necessary not only to avoid the immense casualties that a conventional invasion of Japan was expected to bring, but also to provide a true real world demonstration of the devastating affects such a weapon would have when unleashed upon a major city (for example, according to one TV program I recently watched, the scientists who created the bomb had severely underestimated just how widespread the effects of the radiation would actually be). The fact that those two atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still the only nuclear weapons ever used against a major target really goes to show how much people since then have thought twice about ever unleashing such immense death and destruction against anyone.

Let's continue to hope and pray that we will never have to witness the use of any nuclear weapons within our lifetimes (especially considering how divided and distrusting the world's major powers have become in recent years).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Atomic bombs are one of the most horrify tools mankind ever created. World war II has seen enough mostrosity even before A-bomb bombing, so, considering how many civilians and cities died before, under bulelts, hunger, deceases and tortures, then A-bombs were nnot so much worse, because I think long military invasion to Japan would lead to the same results, maybe even worse.

Also, I always hear that atomic bombs are one of reasons why there's no any wars between countries who owns them, as well as no other world wars. Even the most crazy military heads or lusted for world domination realizes that if he starts a big war with enemy who has such bombs, no matter if you have your own or not, it could lead to devastatying end for everyone. And I believe it's true.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:51:03 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
While horrible they were ultimately a necessary evil. and they do play a part in the peace between the major powers.

Atomic bombs are one of the most horrify tools mankind ever created. World war II has seen enough mostrosity even before A-bomb bombing, so, considering how many civilians and cities died before, under bulelts, hunger, deceases and tortures, then A-bombs were nnot so much worse, because I think long military invasion to Japan would lead to the same results, maybe even worse.

Also, I always hear that atomic bombs are one of reasons why there's no any wars between countries who owns them, as well as no other world wars. Even the most crazy military heads or lusted for world domination realizes that if he starts a big war with enemy who has such bombs, no matter if you have your own or not, it could lead to devastatying end for everyone. And I believe it's true.

Yes, an invasion of the Japanese mainland would've been FAR worse than the atomic bomb. from the delays from typhoons that would hit the areas where the build up for them would have taken place to the Japanese correctly guessing the landing areas for said invasion. 

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Time to rewatch Gojira/Godzilla Japan Version.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 08:59:02 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith