The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

MarzGurls reviews of The Land Before Time movies

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
These reviews have been around for years now and I thought we should talk about them.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
I haven’t seen them, but I thought I saw someone else on this forum talking about how harsh on the sequels she was. Is that accurate, or am I thinking of something else?

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I haven’t seen them, but I thought I saw someone else on this forum talking about how harsh on the sequels she was. Is that accurate, or am I thinking of something else?
Nope that is accurate. She is absolutely, unfairly, relentless with them.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I recently watched them over the course of a week actually (needed something to do while transcribing subtitles) and they were enjoyable, but they were among her earliest videos so she hadn't quite hit her stride yet. (You can really tell by watching the one on LBT 14, it came out years later and there's a massive upshift in quality between it and the older ones).

She's incredibly negative towards the sequels, like RFP notes, but it's an obvious angle to take because she's comparing them to the original, plus frankly she's not wrong about the massive problems they each have. You also have to remember she worked for the Nostalgia Critic website at the time, and ragging on shitty movies was his whole shtick, so she was following her boss' example by focusing on the flaws. Her LBT 14 review, which came out after she'd left the site and spent some time developing and honing her own style, is much less critical and gives a more nuanced analysis of the subject matter. I'm pleased she also covered the TV show and even the various licensed video games, those are two elements that usually get glossed over when people tackle the whole franchise.

Also here they are in case anyone would like a convenient link to view them.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:06:05 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I liked the reviews when I was a little younger but revisiting their not that good. Most of her critiques don't really hold up when you really think about them. Though I will admit there are some fair criticisms in them but besides that it's mostly harsh nitpicking.

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I liked the reviews when I was a little younger but revisiting their not that good. Most of her critiques don't really hold up when you really think about them. Though I will admit there are some fair criticisms in them but besides that it's mostly harsh nitpicking.
I'm in much the same boat. I remember when her sequel reviews were coming out still, back when That Guy With the Glasses was still a website. I hadn't watched the movies in a very long time or not at all with the later sequels at that point, and I found the reviews entertaining enough, but thinking back, she's both unrelenting and, frankly, not that fair or observant with the films. I distinctly remember her absolutely hating IV having Spike speak, but I just can't agree with that at this point. It's not a constant thing and it's fairly reasonable considering what's happening in the film. Mind you, I'm fairly critical of IV myself, but that isn't a critique I'd make. She seemed to also imply at several points that Spike should just be mute and, really, kinda stupid, while also complaining about his stupidity, I believe, in VII. Dismissive is the word I'd use, and entirely unwilling to take the sequels as they are, which is how most people feel about these movies, but doesn't make for the fairest of critique. I don't agree with all of Bobsheaux's points on the sequels, but I found his reviews much more fair and thoughtful.

Granted, I admit, I haven't watched MarzGurl's reviews in a long time myself, so hey, maybe I'm totally off and being unfair myself. They're just a fairly strong memory in my mind.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Even in her Wisdom of Friends review, which is a film I would absolutely understand her hating even though I enjoy it myself, she also makes some unfair criticisms. For example she criticizes this line from Littlefoot "See I never heard of berry valley before so it's got to be somewhere I've never been right?" by saying "It's the blind leading the blind." Did she really expect Littlefoot to know where he was going to a place he didn't even know existed?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:26:00 PM by LittleDas75 »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Yeah...I tend to avoid these sorts of reviews that blast things just for the sake of it. But then again, I've never been one to give YouTubers much of my attention anyway. (I keep meaning to go check out that LBT Squad channel, yet even though it's been around for five years now I still haven't!) :oops

ducky_25

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I saw them when I was obsessed with lbt
But yeah you can watch them also on lbt squad
Hopefully he will upload more videos

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Huh, I'd never heard of LBT Squad. I'll have to watch some of his stuff next time I'm transcribing subtitles for a few hours. Looks like he was humming along fine with growing his channel before he gave up on it

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Marzgurl also claims that the animators didn't make Ali a different color than Littlefoot which is so not true because when Littlefoot and Ali are next to each other there's a very clear color difference.  :littlefoot:) :PAli
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:24:21 PM by LittleDas75 »

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Her video's also have a decent amount of dislikes. It's not more than the likes but it's noticeable especially when you look at the ratio bar.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Also I know this isn't her fault but this statement from her review of The Great Longneck Migration has aged very poorly.
"That's when a longneck named Bron, get it because he's a Brontosaurus. Anyway the joke doesn't work because Brontosaurs don't actually exist." :lol

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I really enjoyed her reviews. She seems like such a cool person, and always made interesting points about stuff in the films. I admit I had a bit of a crush on her when I first watched them!  :smile
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:09:49 PM by GreyLizard226 »

00not_nathan00

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • instagram
yeah I agree aswell she can be a bit harsh at times and because Alex hasent uploaded in a year (reviews). I found that there were not many channels doing reviews until. Alteori came out of the blue and made her reviews and thats what ive been stuck watching. I mean there pretty good reviews I like how she sort of memes the movies and as of today shes made 12 of the things so yeah I think I might stick with her until Alex makes some more (which is pretty unlikely given hes only really active on Twitter).
Still waiting for the bluth cut