The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why is Land Before Time Retold series the most popular on fanfiction.net?

LBT Fan

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I was searching through Land Before Before on fanfiction.net and decided to play around with the search filter. Turns out that the Land Before Time Retold series has the most favorites and followers. Anyone know why that's the case?

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Not the first time I've spoken about this so I'll repeat all the usual points.

1) It was one of the first novelizations of the first (and sequel) movies, and to this day even though it's stalled at the Saurus Rock adaptation for years this series still made it the furthest in terms of covering the film series with consistent quality.
2) Practically was the Trope Codifier for the "human character time-travels and falls into LBT world to meet the gang isekai" trope. I don't think it was necessarily the first, but the first Retold story did it better, was rather well-written, and was considerably widespread that it garnered that reputation for any story that came after. You can check the 2013-2016 era when Retold was at its peak and had more consistent updates, lots of those kinda stories came in its wake. Many in those years played it straight and used the general concept of meeting the gang in the initial journey to the valley, but a few took a little more liberties with it. This trope has considerably died down nowadays, but when Retold was at its prime you can bet there were all sorts of copycats.
3) Not a one-to-one adaptation. Small changes and added scenes (usually with the POV human characters which are all new) and the addition of said human characters change things about slightly. Indeed, many of Retold's best scenes are the ones that aren't actually adapted from the films, but are the parts expanded from it. That added lore and originality is what draws people back, because if it was a 100% novelization then why not just watch the movie? This is what gives the series an air of unpredictability, and coupled with a fair bit of cliffhangers for many readers and reviewers to ponder just what might happen next, even though in your head it's like "isn't this an adaptation of something I've watched so I should know how it goes?".
4) Being written in the early 2010s when LBT fandom was much bigger, it received a loyal following by catering to the three points above. Seriously, if you garner TV Trope editors to make a page for your story without prompting, you're up there. Even despite the inconsistent schedule and recent massive hiatus and actually losing much of the influence it has on its heyday due to different writers nowadays preferring not to go the "human in LBT" route now, it's still consistently popular because the author has her loyal fans invested into said OCs she made and the slightly different of a LBT world with a couple added humans here and there.
All in all, it's all pretty indulgent stuff, and even I, angsty no-fun edgelord that I am with this series, kind of like the indulgent part of it. Who wouldn't? Get to Stone of Cold Fire already! I've been waiting for years! :petrieLOL

tl;dr: could be chalked up to a fic series being at the right place at the right time to create a formula and gain its loyal following.
Do I think it deserves that following? Of course, why not? Do I think it could also be better in quality considering the disproportionate jump in favorites and followers compared to authors who try just as hard with different takes on the franchise but get shafted? Also yes.
Judge the series as an adaption expansion on its own merits, not on perceived popularity by the follower/favorite count.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 05:23:03 AM by OwlsCantRead »
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

LBT Fan

• Ruby
    • View Profile
@OwlsCantRead

That's very interesting. I loved reading Land Before Time Retold, and it's one of my all time favorite fanfics. I'll keep those points in mind as I attempt this concept with Balto.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 06:23:57 PM by LBT Fan »

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I guess it's because people like to imagine themselves as being a part of the story; clearly the author did.  :chomper

Personally, I'm not a fan of the human insert type story, especially with all-animal (or in this case, dinosaur  :lol) characters. It kind of shatters the worldbuilding for me and seems out of place. I think I might be more open to the concept if the self-insert character was also a dinosaur, but I digress. To each their own.

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I actually quite like the concept of humans and animals/dinosaurs freely interacting. But you do raise a good point, Mouse, in that it would have to fit in with the worldbuilding. In Land Before Time, at least, I think it would be a hard concept for me to buy.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I actually quite like the concept of humans and animals/dinosaurs freely interacting. But you do raise a good point, Mouse, in that it would have to fit in with the worldbuilding. In Land Before Time, at least, I think it would be a hard concept for me to buy.

Absolutely.

And while it’s not my favorite concept, you are right that humans and animals together can make sense if the world has been designed to accommodate it; Kimba the White Lion comes to mind as a good example of that working well.

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Self-inserts are a powerful thing when they’re done well! :OhYou They might have a lousy reputation, but LBTR is proof that there are some genuinely good ones out there, and they’re lots of fun! Back when I read fanfiction more often, LBTR was one of my favorites! If anything, the human-insert aspect made me enjoy the story even more because it felt like the kind of thing I would’ve pretended when I was a kid. :D Man, one of these days, I should catch up with the series...a lot has been written since I last looked at it!