The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Are Good Movies Becoming Extinct?

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Over the past decade there have been more bad movies than good ones. So I have to ask are good movies becoming a dead thing?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Whether a movie is "good" or "bad" is purely subjective.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I think LittleDas means to say movies use to have a consensus of being good by both critics and regular people, like the Golden Era of Hollywood and the 90’s.

I believe The Avengers ruined movies. When companies like Disney realized they could get people to watch twenty movies about each character to watch and understand the film with all of those characters, a la Avengers, it became popular to write poor stories with major omissions and gaps, and if fans complain, they say “another spin off is coming or a book to fill in that gap.” Bad writing is not lauded, because it allows companies to make entire mini-series, books, video games, and etc to fill in the holes.

I was watching the original Terminator and Kyle Reese ecplained the whole premise and story in less than 5mins to Sarah Connor.

Gone are those days. Now we will have Avengers style everything. Even Godzilla’s movies are called Monsterverse after the Marvelverse. I bet the Jurassic films will be called the Jurassicverse. Ugh.   

I am not alone in my criticism of The Avengers and how it changed movies. Martin Scorsese agrees.   

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Yeah. Also just to be clear when I say bad movies I am referring to movies that have loads of plot holes and bad writing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:24:05 PM by LittleDas75 »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Yeah. Also just to be clear when I say bad movies I am referring to movies that have loads of plot holes and bad writing.

And sadly those bad movies with plotholes suite companies like Disney. “Oh you didn’t understand that part we left out? New movie or book coming out to explain.” Ugh.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile

And sadly those bad movies with plotholes suite companies like Disney. “Oh you didn’t understand that part we left out? New movie or book coming out to explain.” Ugh.

That's been such an obnoxious problem with Disney of late. Ugh  :whatdidyousay

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah I'm getting really sick of that trend too.

(Mild spoilers, albeit ones that don't affect the story at all)

In WandaVision,
Spoiler: ShowHide
one of the driving events is Agent Woo coming to Westview searching for a member of witness protection who's gone missing. Another major cliffhanger involves a beekeeper going missing.
Neither character ever comes up again in the show, and the director's answer when queried was, "Those'll come back into play in future Marvel content." But that's just lazy writing for THIS show that leaves the viewer scratching their head when the element is never resolved. It's massive dangling plot threads that just muddy the narrative without explanation and lessen the work as a whole.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:53:25 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't watch many movies anymore.  I mostly play video games.