The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pokémon games!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
We've had individual topics for several of the games before, but I don't think we have a thread for the series as a whole, so I decided I would create one.

But anyway, I am embarking on something I have not done in a long, long time. For the first time in over a decade, I am playing through one of the mainline Pokémon games! Which is a bit ironic it took me so long considering I was huge into Pokémon as a kid. I'm an old enough geezer to remember when Pokémon first came out. :p And like so many other kids at the time, I was all over it. I played the original Red/Blue/Yellow over and over, I watched many episodes of the anime, and my brother and I owned a decent number of the trading cards between the two of us.

…and then that was pretty much it. As obsessed with Pokémon as I was, it turned out to be short-lived. Around mid-Generation 2 I was already starting to drift away from it, and by Generation 3 I had moved on completely. I do remember playing either Gold or Silver, but I didn't get very far into the game before abandoning it.

Several years later, sometime after high school, I gave Pokémon another shot, starting again with Gen 1 and intending to work my way up to the newer games, but again it petered out and I only made it partway through RBY. Several years after that, my brother pitched the idea that him and I each play a Pokémon game alongside each other, and I was definitely interested. This time around I was eyeing HeartGold/SoulSilver. But we only ever talked about it and never got around to it. And then that was truly it for me.

Until now, that is. I have a couple friends here (@OwlsCantRead & @ImpracticalDino) who I learned are Pokémon fans. After chatting about it with them enough times, one day it hit me suddenly that I wanted to play Pokémon again.

I debated with myself which version I wanted to go for this time. I didn't want to do the original RBY again. Since as much as I enjoyed them as a kid, I played them to death at the expense of all the future games. But I still wanted to do the Kanto adventure since I'm nostalgic for it, and it still seemed like a good "starting again" place. So I went for the remakes since it's a balance of both new and familiar, and some of the added features appealed to me.

I want to play SoulSilver and Emerald too. I might even start them before finishing with Kanto. But for now, I have launched into my newly-ordered copy of LeafGreen. Currently at Vermilion City, soon to confront Lt Surge. :DD

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:27:04 PM by StardustSoldier »

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm a huge Pokemon fan! Played every generation except 2, I've been meaning to do so but I want to Twitch stream it and I've been hitting technical problems.

My biggest claim to fame is being the first person in history to beat Pokemon Red with only a Magikarp. (I even beat Professor Oak afterwards!)

Gen IV is definitely my favorite generation. Up to Gen IV, every generation added more features while maintaining the same artstyle/gameplay, meaning its the last time before they had to start dropping things/mixing up the formula in Gen 5 (which isn't a bad thing, I like all 8 gens, 4 is just the last and fullest 'true' Pokemon experience). My favorite game is probably HeartGold/SoulSilver, I love the walkies mechanic, the Pokeathlon, and how you get an entire second region in the post-game.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ohh interesting that we didn't have a topic for this yet.

I have been a Pokémon fan since the hype in the 90s. Might have been a bit dormant during my teenage years but it wasn't something that ever went away entirely.

I used to have a big card collection with over 6600 unique cards (and if counting all the doubles, probably close to 10k), but I sold that about a year ago to a good friend and fellow collector.

My first video game was actually Pokémon Gold, and while I am nostalgic towards the original installment of gen 2 I would have to agree with Aabicus that HeartGold/SoulSilver are probably the best games. I also really enjoyed Diamond/Pearl and X/Y.

I did not end up getting Pokemon Sword/Shield since I felt like the Pokemon Company did not live up to its promises/expectations. I don't feel like I missed out at all, and am likely gonna wait before investing any money in future Pokémon games. DP remakes seem interesting but not 100% sold on them yet. Same goes for the Arceus game, which is a really cool idea, but what we've seen from it so far looked horrid. But who knows, perhaps they will show more in today's Nintendo Direct.

If anything I'd love to see a remake of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. That was the first and only Pokémon game to date that brought me to tears, and I'd love to relive that experience on a modern system.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tbh, I was one of those individuals who defended Sword/Shield when word that not all Pokemon would be available leaked out.  I used the argument of there being over 800 Pokemon and not having the time to put them all in.  While this has proven to be true, I realize that it's a weak defense and it has caused it's own problems for me especially, given the fact I am a part-time breeder these days.

Still, I have to commend it for certain items and Pokemon that have become available.  Ending up with a less than desirable Nature or Ability after all your time spent getting 6 IVs has always been a disappointing thing.  However, Mints and the Ability Capsule/Patch has made that a non-issue.  Not to mention, a few of the new Pokemon have become favorites to put on my list.

Not to mention Shiny Hunters have come to enjoy those Dynamax Events.  I'm not into it, but I can see it's appeal.

As for the Diamond & Pearl remakes, I am looking forward to them.  Let the haters go after the same graphics that were attacked when Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker was announced and see how soon those become loved.  Let's just hope they remove those HMs and Honey Trees.  0% Munchlax (Data says it's 1%, but we all know that's not true.) can die in obscurity for all I care.  It's just not worth trying to get that thing.

That's all from me.

See ya later! :wave

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
IMO one of the greatest accomplishments of the Pokemon series is the perennial ability to port your critters forward to newer games. Even back in the 90s they were resolutely including that capabilty, and I can't think of many franchises with that extreme degree of personal continuity, it really causes you to form bonds with your 'mons that persist even after the game's over. It's nostalgic to boot up Pokemon Home and see your old teams, occasionally porting them into Sword/Shield to say hi just like we used to do with Pokemon Ranch, or the Pokewalker, or any new game in the series.

In total, there are only four pokemon who I've had to leave behind after decades of games, dozens of playthroughs, and thousands of Pokemon, and that's a truly remarkable feat for any series.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:50:50 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I remember, that when I was about 5-6 years old, my dad bought me Pokémon game Pokémon snap on nintendo64, then Stadium, and since then I enjoyed Pokémon very much. I spent a lot of time on Pokémon red, and gold and sapphire until 2010, then I did not play Pokémon games until 2016, when I played gold, and started to play it again. Since then I played Y, Ultra Sun, Super Mystery Dungeon, and Mystery Dungeon Explorers of (sky?) . I also played red again, and two times gold.
I enjoyed especially generation I and II, I like others too, but not so much.

I will probably try some more, remastered MysteryDungeon, or remastered Snap are on my wishlist, or simply buying some older Pokémon game, that I have console for.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Conquered Lt Surge and am soon to enter into Rock Tunnel. All my caught Pokémon so far:
- Charmeleon (Ember)
- Rattata (Justin)
- Pidgeotto (Koon Han)
- Spearow (Mikayla)
- Butterfree (Rosebud)
- Beedrill (Needle)
- Pikachu (Zack)
- Meowth (Wario)
- Gyarados (Saphira)
- Jigglypuff (Creampuff)
- Clefairy (Peter)

I also started a playthrough of SoulSilver and have been doing that concurrently with LeafGreen. Just made it to Goldenrod City. The nice thing about SoulSilver and Emerald is that I didn't have to order online and was able to inherit my brother's old copies. :) While my bro eventually drifted away from Pokémon as well, he was into it as a kid for longer than I was, so he owned more of the games than I did.

My current team in SoulSilver; caught some of the same mons, with a few new faces:
- Chikorita (Chickleaf)
- Rattata (Justin)
- Pidgey (Koon Han)
- Spearow (Mikayla)
- Sentret (Muffin)
- Beedrill (Needle)
- Flaaffy (Fluffypuff)
- Togepi (Toby)

Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 14, 2021, 09:39:48 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 14, 2021, 09:39:48 PM
My favorite game is probably HeartGold/SoulSilver, I love the walkies mechanic, the Pokeathlon, and how you get an entire second region in the post-game.
Although I haven't reached it yet, being able to re-explore Kanto was one of the biggest draws of HG/SS for me. I wish more Pokémon games had featured multiple regions.

Also I never knew you were an article writer for that website, Aabicus. That's pretty cool. ^^

I used to have a big card collection with over 6600 unique cards (and if counting all the doubles, probably close to 10k), but I sold that about a year ago to a good friend and fellow collector.
Wow! That is impressive! Far more than the number of cards my brother and I had (which was probably around 200-300).

Same goes for the Arceus game, which is a really cool idea, but what we've seen from it so far looked horrid.
Hmm, what didn't you like about it, @Mumbling? (I haven't seen the previews myself yet; just curious what your thoughts were)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
- Rattata (Justin)

Eyyyy you got my boy Rattata :D It's my favorite Pokemon in the series, I can't help catch one in every game they appear🐀

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nice! :D Rattata was always one of my favourite Pokemon as a kid too.

Anyway, I started up an Emerald playthrough. That's right; I currently have three Pokemon adventures on the go. :p

My team thus far:
Mudkip (Finn)
Zigzagoon (Ziggy)
Poochyena (Poochnip)
Ralts (Jasmine)
Taillow (Amber)
Marill (Ashura)
Dustox (Needlebud)

Am about to face off against the Rustboro City Gym for my first badge. ^^

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, Stardust, to answer your question: it looks really cool but the frame rate was really bad in the trailer. Looked extremely laggy :(

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well I'd probably like to give it a shot. :) It looks like it'll be something interesting and different for the franchise.

CappyGaming

• Chomper
  • I love Littlefoot!
    • View Profile
I LOVE Sword and Shield!  Its my personal favorite in the series!

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
The Nature Mints alone pretty much solidified my thoughts on Sword and Shield being the best games in the main series for me. Why? I absolutely hated the mechanic of Natures in the series ever since it was first introduced in Gen III, and initially not having any means of actually manipulating the way the Nature is generated in the game by an official method since inheriting Natures by Breeding wouldn't begin til Emerald, and Synchronize while also introduced in Emerald did not work on Legendary Pokémon until Gen IV. Also it's saying something that Sword and Shield also removing Hidden Power from the game proved to be a very good thing for me at least, considering I absolutely hated trying to simultaneously get the right nature and Hidden Power Type in the older Gens prior to this one.

Also not going to lie but I like the uniqueness of the Legendary Pokémon introduced in Sword and Shield. Their main abilities actually make them feel like they had a lot more effort put into their gameplay than most other Legendaries tended to have beforehand. The only one I can't really say has a good Ability is Eternatus with the generic beyond all reason Pressure, but considering Eternatus' stats and one of its signature moves with Dynamax Cannon, it more than makes up for it with sheer unbridled firepower to utilize in Max Raids. The fact Zacian and Zamazenta can't even Dynamax due to being incompatible with Galar Particles only further adds to the uniqueness, as well as Eternatus having been so thoroughly drained of energy that it can no longer access Eternamax for very long, and even when it does via Eternabeam, it has to take a recharge turn after the attack is used.

Also not going to lie Urshifu's line and Calyrex make for perfect mascots for the DLC of The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra respectively. I especially like how highly versatile Urshifu is, being able to choose between two different formes with a distinct type and signature move, one favoring multi-hit damage and the other being purely relentless firepower. Calyrex having a speaking role in the main story of The Crown Tundra also helped sell how unique it is, though I am admittedly still baffled by why exactly Calyrex's aura when Dynamaxed is an icy blue as opposed to the typical red of every other Dynamax Pokémon.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

Silver the Pterosaur

• Apprentice to the Rainbow Faces
  • Member+
  • Ruby
  • in 1,474 days, I become an Optometrist.
    • View Profile
If anyone is on some pokemon discord servers, let me know as I would like to expand myself into the pokemon fandom.
りゅうすけ

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
I'm a pretty active Pokemon player. I have the most insane luck with shinies :lol It all started on Pokemon Y, being my first Pokemon game. I was scurrying around in one of the caves, when suddenly...SHINY MACHOP. I caught him and named him Jude...dude. :rhett_grin

Since then I've managed to successfully catch EVERY shiny I've found. My most recent being a shiny Purugly in Omega Ruby. :smile

I'm also a big fan of the Mystery Dungeon games. In Rescue Team DX, I'm a Pikachu and my partner is a Meowth. I hope we get Explorers DX someday :Mo
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD