The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Do you think Grandma Longneck should have gotten more attention in the sequels?

WinterFan

• I require darkness and sub-zero tempteratures
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I've recently rewatched all my favorite films from among the sequels. One thing I didn't notice before but that annoyed me often is that Grandma longneck just doesn't seem to get more dialog or screentime sometimes. In some scenes, she's just there and Grandpa and Littlefoot will have this long conversation without Grandma saying a word.

I just think it's unfortunate that they didn't do more with her character because she's actually pretty cool, especially when she saves Littlefoot in the beginning of 13, and it just makes more sense to give all the characters equal focus to me.

If I was in charge, I would have made at least one movie focusing more on Grandma and perhaps a bit more on what it was like for her, grandpa and Littlefoots mom to travel the wastelands together.

I would also like to see more flashbacks with Bron but that's another topic...

Anyway, what do you think about Grandma Longneck? Do you think she should have gotten more screen time?

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I think Grandma should have gotten more dialogue and equal screen time to Grandpa. She really gets a highlight in LBTIV: Journey Through The Mists when Grandpa is sick, and I think her song gets bashed too much.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I totally agree, OP!

I think Grandma should have gotten more dialogue and equal screen time to Grandpa. She really gets a highlight in LBTIV: Journey Through The Mists when Grandpa is sick, and I think her song gets bashed too much.

I remember thinking it'd be really cool if she actually went out to look for the Night Flowers to save grandpa herself! I'm sure she would have wanted Littlefoot to stay in the valley (maybe she leaves while he's still asleep!) and Littlefoot and Ali could still set out on their own the next morning!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I totally agree, OP!

I remember thinking it'd be really cool if she actually went out to look for the Night Flowers to save grandpa herself! I'm sure she would have wanted Littlefoot to stay in the valley (maybe she leaves while he's still asleep!) and Littlefoot and Ali could still set out on their own the next morning!

That would have been ten times better than 2/3rds of the film being in a cave. I mean I wanted to see the Land of Mists, not a cave.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Grandma Longneck might just be my favourite character so... Yes. So much yes.

I like the earlier sequels when she and Grandpa seemed to have a pretty equal amount of time on screen. They were a team and their moments together really stuck with me. But it seemed that after a while, she got shafted to one side to make more of the focus be on Grandpa (I mean he's a great character and I love him too but I wish they kept them more together). A shame that of all of the later sequels, Wisdom of Friends had to be the one where she had the limelight for once. She got a bit more focus in movie 10 though too which was nice to see, and the way she just rammed into that sharptooth? Badass. I do wish we saw more.

I remember thinking it'd be really cool if she actually went out to look for the Night Flowers to save grandpa herself!

I would have loved this. It might have been interesting to see Grandma maybe getting lost within the mists and the gang has to find a way to help.

And I would have liked to see a bit more of her interacting with Bron. She seems fine with him in the TV series and she's good with Shorty (yeah remember him? yes I am still bitter about this), and she seems happy that Littlefoot got a chance to have a relationship with his dad. But in the films she never talks to him and in JotB she is absolutely not going anywhere near that fire mountain to see if he's okay. Can't help but wonder if there's something else going on there (Grandma Longneck, that kind of mother-in-law  :lol) I'd love to see a film that delves a bit deeper into the longneck family.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@somerandomfangirl Grandma Longneck may be bitter Bron went looking for lodgings and her daughter died because of it. Had Bron been there, Sharptooth would have been felled and Momma would have lived.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
@somerandomfangirl Grandma Longneck may be bitter Bron went looking for lodgings and her daughter died because of it. Had Bron been there, Sharptooth would have been felled and Momma would have lived.

Sorry I completely forgot to reply to this.  :oops

I made the whole 'Grandma Longneck was that kind of mother-in-law' comment more in jest than anything, but yeah, it's possible there was some tension between her and Bron, more so than between Bron and Grandpa. I mentioned the possibility of it in his showcase discussion as well but there was guilt on all sides when it came to Mama Longneck's death. Bron had left and Grandma and Grandpa slept through most of it, only getting up and looking for their daughter and grandson just before the earthshake struck. I would have liked to have seen her reaction to seeing Bron for the first time in so many years again but alas, can't always get what we want. For now I'll just over-analyse tiny details in the films to support my headcanons. :p

But yeah, more Grandma in any future sequels please, Universal.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Wow, I never thought about this before. Yeah, her only shining moments throughout the franchise were her song in IV and her role in XIII. You'd think we'd get more out of her now that she's the only maternal figure Littlefoot has in his life.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Wow, I never thought about this before. Yeah, her only shining moments throughout the franchise were her song in IV and her role in XIII. You'd think we'd get more out of her now that she's the only maternal figure Littlefoot has in his life.

It is a shame. I might have to watch The Wisdom of Friends (which I’ve never seen all the way through). Knowing Grandma Longneck has some focus might get me through it.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
It is a shame. I might have to watch The Wisdom of Friends (which I’ve never seen all the way through). Knowing Grandma Longneck has some focus might get me through it.

There isn't really much to see once you get past the opening scene with her. She has a couple of short scenes in between where she's looking for the kids with the other adults and then the ending when she finds them. The best showcase of her bond with Littlefoot is in the first five minutes, which is a shame. Throughout the series I'd say she stands out more in XIII, IV, and III, where she gets more equal screen time to Grandpa and both of them have more time with Littlefoot.

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

Sorry I completely forgot to reply to this.  :oops

I made the whole 'Grandma Longneck was that kind of mother-in-law' comment more in jest than anything, but yeah, it's possible there was some tension between her and Bron, more so than between Bron and Grandpa. I mentioned the possibility of it in his showcase discussion as well but there was guilt on all sides when it came to Mama Longneck's death. Bron had left and Grandma and Grandpa slept through most of it, only getting up and looking for their daughter and grandson just before the earthshake struck. I would have liked to have seen her reaction to seeing Bron for the first time in so many years again but alas, can't always get what we want. For now I'll just over-analyse tiny details in the films to support my headcanons. :p

But yeah, more Grandma in any future sequels please, Universal.

I remember thinking this as well - that maybe they'd be some tension there. And even more so - it would have been nice if we got see some more interaction between grandma and grandpa and Bron. I have some many versions of this in my head that I can barely remember what actually happened, but if I remember correctly, Bron was never directly told about Littlefoot's mom, right? It's all happening so fast, with Littlefoot rushing off. Which they would have handled it better. Still really love that movie though.

Hey, do we actually know from which side of Littlefoot's family Grandpa and Grandma are from?

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

There isn't really much to see once you get past the opening scene with her. She has a couple of short scenes in between where she's looking for the kids with the other adults and then the ending when she finds them. The best showcase of her bond with Littlefoot is in the first five minutes, which is a shame. Throughout the series I'd say she stands out more in XIII, IV, and III, where she gets more equal screen time to Grandpa and both of them have more time with Littlefoot.

Another great opportunity ruined. If I were to remake that movie, I'd make some key changes. Actually, I don't know if I would remake that movie, but I'd probably transplant the opening scene which I actually kind of like and have it lead to a different plot.

I would also make some changes to that scene in particular. For example, I don't really like how reckless Littlefoot seems. He really should know better at this point. I remember having this idea for how it could play out:

* Littlefoot and Grandma are walking past some mostly dead trees, late autumn, ground is covered in frost. Littlefoot complains about not liking fall autumn because there isn't enough to eat, Grandma chuckles, says something old and wise about the seasons. Whatever.
* They find a tree with two remaining treestars left. "Look, there's one for each of us!" Littlefoot says.
* Grandma lifts Littlefoot so he can reach the two remaining treestars on the highest branch. Littlefoot eagerly snaps off and swallows his own treestar. But when it's time to grab Grandma's treestar, he drops it and the wind carries it away.
* Littlefoot is saddened but Grandma assures him it's alright - she wasn't that hungry anyway, and it's time to head back to the nest. They move on, but Littlefoot spots the grandma's treestar stuck in a bush on the other side of the ravine with the log. He decides to get it and surprise his grandmother, not realizing the danger.

From that point, the scene would play out mostly the same. But I think giving Littlefoot an unselfish motivation here makes his reckless behavior seem a little more understandable.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile

I remember thinking this as well - that maybe they'd be some tension there. And even more so - it would have been nice if we got see some more interaction between grandma and grandpa and Bron. I have some many versions of this in my head that I can barely remember what actually happened, but if I remember correctly, Bron was never directly told about Littlefoot's mom, right? It's all happening so fast, with Littlefoot rushing off. Which they would have handled it better. Still really love that movie though.

Hey, do we actually know from which side of Littlefoot's family Grandpa and Grandma are from?

According to Bron in his explanation of where he'd been, he met 'someone' (doesn't specify who) who told him about Littlefoot's mom and a sharptooth, although that's one part of Bron's story that doesn't make much sense to me. My best guess would be Rooter but Bron also said that this someone had no word about Littlefoot so I'm not so sure. Either way, I think it would have been better if Bron had found out about his mate's fate through Grandma and Grandpa when they all met in the crater.

The grandparents are from Mama's side. She looks more like them than Bron, and in their limited time together, they seem more affectionate with Mama than they ever are with Bron. I also believe that in a German book of the first film, Mama Longneck did refer to Grandpa as 'Father' but don't quote me on that one. :p

Another great opportunity ruined. If I were to remake that movie, I'd make some key changes. Actually, I don't know if I would remake that movie, but I'd probably transplant the opening scene which I actually kind of like and have it lead to a different plot.

I would also make some changes to that scene in particular. For example, I don't really like how reckless Littlefoot seems. He really should know better at this point. I remember having this idea for how it could play out:

* Littlefoot and Grandma are walking past some mostly dead trees, late autumn, ground is covered in frost. Littlefoot complains about not liking fall autumn because there isn't enough to eat, Grandma chuckles, says something old and wise about the seasons. Whatever.
* They find a tree with two remaining treestars left. "Look, there's one for each of us!" Littlefoot says.
* Grandma lifts Littlefoot so he can reach the two remaining treestars on the highest branch. Littlefoot eagerly snaps off and swallows his own treestar. But when it's time to grab Grandma's treestar, he drops it and the wind carries it away.
* Littlefoot is saddened but Grandma assures him it's alright - she wasn't that hungry anyway, and it's time to head back to the nest. They move on, but Littlefoot spots the grandma's treestar stuck in a bush on the other side of the ravine with the log. He decides to get it and surprise his grandmother, not realizing the danger.

From that point, the scene would play out mostly the same. But I think giving Littlefoot an unselfish motivation here makes his reckless behavior seem a little more understandable.

Yeah I like that. 13 movies in and Littlefoot really shouldn't be that reckless at this point. I know he's always crossing chasms and stuff, but if he's doing it quickly, usually it's to save someone, not just to get food that he's surrounded by in the Great Valley.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 02:02:37 PM by somerandomfangirl »