The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Stranger Things

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Noticed this show doesn't have a topic which kinda surprised me given its popularity. It's another show my brother introduced me to, and considering I'm not really into horror, I actually really enjoyed this. I love 80's aesthetic and music so I was hooked pretty quickly. Season 4 Volume 2 dropped yesterday, but I haven't gotten around to seeing the final episode (got a bit of a shock to discover it's over 2 hours long) just yet.

Does anyone else watch this show? What are your thoughts on it?

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It's not a bad show, I found some plot elements in Season 3 kinda silly (they're spoilers, but if it involves the word "Russia" you know what ones I'm talking about). I haven't seen Season 4 and wasn't really planning to.

My main gripe with the show is that they keep adding children characters into the 'core gang' but never removing any. It got to downright silly degrees by season 3, there was like a conga line of almost a dozen kids running in terror from various monsters, and it really shattered my suspension of disbelief that such an unwieldly-large group would consistently emerge unscathed from such dangerous situations. It also leads to a ton of flat, one-dimensional characters with a single personality trait because there's so many of them to wedge awkwardly into the plot.

Another problem the show really started to suffer from was pacing. By mid-season 2 I was noticing that I was bored out of my mind by the middle of episodes because scenes would drag on and nothing important would happen for an entire 45-minute episode UNTIL the last 30 seconds, where an earth-shattering cliffhanger would happen to bait you into starting the next one. It was a really unsatisfying loop wanting to "see what happens next" only to be instantly let down by another slow, plodding 44½ minutes of filler, especially when a lot of those cliffhangers were resolved off-screen or written away as red herrings. (For example:
Spoiler: ShowHide
"Oh no, the lady's cat got brutally eaten by a baby demogorgon and she gets home soon! How's Dustin gonna resolve this situation without her finding out?"...we don't know, it never gets brought up again and apparently he cleaned the crime scene perfectly and off-screen between episodes.
)

One thing I will say is that everyone whining online about the "Level 1 Dwarf" line doesn't know their D&D history. Nonhuman races were classes back in certain early editions, and we have no clue what edition the kids are running. Also it was pre-internet, back then you ran whatever sourcebooks you happened to own and just kinda mish-mashed them together even if they were from different editions. You weren't gonna just ignore a whole splatbook even if you had to adjust the numbers. Very silly thing for so many people online to complain about, especially when there are far-more valid complaints you can levy against the show.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 04:30:07 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Fair points and most I agree with. I'll admit by season 3 it was starting to lose me a bit when the whole Russia thing started. It's probably my least favourite season so far. And again in season 4, I ended up skipping through most of that bit because I just didn't care. I knew what was going to happen anyway. My biggest problem is how predictable it's getting, my second biggest problem is the writers seem hesitant to kill off some characters because it will upset the fans. And they set up some important things only to forget about them later. I was half expecting Kali/008 to reappear, but because everyone hated her episode, she'll probably just vanish into the void. I think she could of been more help to Eleven especially against the latest villain, and while I would hope she reappears for the final battle, fans don't like her so she probably won't.

And having just finished season 4, here's what bugged me about it. Major spoilers for the whole season below.

Spoiler: ShowHide
As I said, predictable. There's this trend of introducing a new, likeable character in a season just to kill them off in the same season so we're all expecting it. Bob, Alexei, and now Eddie. What annoyed me was that Steve, like Eddie, got attacked by the bats and also had chunks of flesh ripped from him, was pretty badly injured and then... Nothing. He doesn't take a trip to any doctor, it doesn't look like he even had time for a wash. All he got in terms of treatment was Nancy ripping of some of her clothes as a makeshift bandage and that's it, and yet he's perfectly fine. I love Steve, but the plot armour he has because he's a fan favourite character annoyed me. Same goes for Max. She should have died (technically she did but I mean permanently). She's my favourite of the group and I don't want her to die, but she should have. Then earlier when Eleven escaped from the military in a friggin' pizza van the general just stands there watching and he's never seen chasing after her again. Dr Owens was captured and we don't find out what happens to him, he just disappears. The show doesn't explain how the hell Dr Brenner survived the demagorgan attack in season 1 with barely a scar. He's there, he's an asshole, then when he dies some big orchestral music plays like we're supposed to feel sorry for him because he 'loved' Eleven (no, he was an abusive asshole who kidnapped and experimented on loads of kids, screw him). Vecna should be the most dangerous villain so far, and yet with his big plan of killing everyone and changing the world, he doesn't seem that threatening to anyone but Max (and hell she pretty easily escaped him the first time). The Duffers are playing it way too safe, they should start killing off some of the main cast.

I'll keep watching because overall I do still enjoy it and want to see how things end with Vecna, but I'm really hoping they up the stakes a bit in season 5. Actually put the main characters in some sort of danger they can't get out of. Get rid of that plot armour.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
the writers seem hesitant to kill off some characters because it will upset the fans

This has felt like a huge problem with the show, I agree. I can't help but wonder if contracts are some sort of issue, like they keep signing people for multiple seasons before even considering how these characters will fit into a storyline. The cast is just cripplingly huge at this point, it's literally an ensemble cast crowbarred into a drama/horror plot, and that just doesn't work. They don't NEED to start killing people off, they can just not bring characters back/relegate some to a single-episode cameo or a few background appearances, but right now they're just dragging everyone along for the ride, and everyone's characterization is suffering as a result.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:43:35 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »