The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Unknown, unsuccessful games that you enjoyed.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Jan 24 2008 on  10:25 PM
Digimon Rumble Arena (PSX)
Yes, awesome game! :DD
I have that game. I haven't played it much for quite some time though. I prefer Digimon Rumble Arena 2.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have that game. I haven't played it much for quite some time though. I prefer Digimon Rumble Arena 2.
I'm pretty sure I've played that one too. It's also for the regular playstation right? I remember me and my friend seeing it in a rental store and playing it. Aahh good times :lol:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Mmmm ok, maybe I do remember it being for the Playstation 2. I probably played it. But yea, great games.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Anybody ever heard of Theme Hospital? I remember when I used to play that all the time. Really fun and amusing game :DD

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Does anyone remember Hyper Zone for the SNES? It's a game where you control a spaceship and destroy enemies while avoiding danger. I played it when I as a kid, and I found it awesome.As far as I know, there never wasn't a sequel for it.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil for me.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Darkstone (1999) - This is a very rare Diablo styled RPG. It is made by a French developer, Delphine Software, which has since gone out of business.

It is great fun but no sequels were ever made and support for this game is nearly nonexistent.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Jan 27 2008 on  01:07 PM
Anybody ever heard of Theme Hospital? I remember when I used to play that all the time. Really fun and amusing game :DD
I owned it on PC. Was a fun game, with a quirky sense of humor and an interesting system for construction that made it fun to build a hospital... go figure.

Unknown, Unsuccessful games I enjoyed:

- Steel Battalion: highly realistic mech simulator that came with a humongous controller. Just barely broke even with sales, and is quite rare these days. Its sequel, Line of Contact, was multiplayer only... and I could never get into it. Still, I hope and pray for a true sequel... as I still love it to this day.

- Mount and Blade: a medieval combat RPG that is quite popular but flew under the radar upon release. Mainly focused on horse combat, and has many great mods. Highly replayable, and cheap!

- Battlezone 2: the underrated sequel to a rather bland Real Time Strategy slash First Person game. It had quite a few flaws, but the community turned it into a fantastic game with many mods and fully fledged total conversions.

- Freespace 2: the sequel to a rather bland Space Combat game. Is better in every single way, and has one of the best plots in a game I've ever played. Has many mods that add new campaigns and settings.

- Kings Bounty, and it's expansion Armored Princess: an RPG with elements borrowed from the Might and Magic games. Is heaps of fun, even with a poor translation. Colorful and fun, and the expansion has a really cute dragon!

- Total Annihilation: an old RTS that came around the same time as Starcraft, dooming it to being runner up. A technological innovation, with 3d units when everything was still 2d. It had (and still does) the most units per side in any RTS ever... and with a mod, each side could potentially have 200+ different units to build. Was so ridiculously over the top as to be fun, and my dad and me would spend hours blowing each other to smithereens.

I'll definitely think of more.... :lol

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I've enjoyed "Captain Rainbow"... it's my favorite non-mario game (as I stated in another thread)!! I love it!

More information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_rainbow

Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. :( It only sold about 6000 copies during it's first week of release. And there aren't any release dates for Europe or America... it's a japan-only game.

But I enjoyed it very much, even with the language barrier! It has such a great style, wonderful music and a good atmosphere...

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: JitteryDragon,Dec 23 2009 on  07:11 AM
Total Annihilation: an old RTS that came around the same time as Starcraft, dooming it to being runner up. A technological innovation, with 3d units when everything was still 2d. It had (and still does) the most units per side in any RTS ever... and with a mod, each side could potentially have 200+ different units to build. Was so ridiculously over the top as to be fun, and my dad and me would spend hours blowing each other to smithereens.
Uh, Total Annihilation is not really unknown, there are still several active communities. It was however, not super successful because it Starcraft overtook it.

That said, I loved TA far more than any other RTS.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope by "unsuccessful," "unsuccesful in America" will count. If I recall correctly, this was the first video game I ever completed. It may look very easy, simplistic, and slow, but I can assure you that it's harder than it looks. You have to blend strategy and quick thinking together just right ot you'll die over and over. It's been over a decade, and I still consider that game a toughie. There is a two-player mode, but my family only ever owned one TurboGrafx-16, so we could only play single-player modes.

The game is called Chew-Man-Fu. I forget how old I was when I got it, but researching enough would tell me. I got it the last year TurboGrafx-16 were sold in new-product stores. You can find such games now at pawn shops, but I get this when they were still selling them new in big stores. I'll show you how it looks, but again, it really is harder than it looks. The players here must be professionals. Well, at this game, at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uhfHnp2xhk

I loved and still love that game- still have the TurboGrafx, and still have the game. I'm willing to wager (with no stakes) that no one here has ever played, let alone heard of, this game.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Majesty, an RTS/RPG style game were you weren't in direct control of the heroes instead you were the one reqiring there services, Majesty had recently got a 3D sequel which is almost as good as the original.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Here's another one from m childhood: Cold Shadow, starring Maui Mallard (Donald Duck under a alias for whatever reason). Basically, this was a Disney side-scrolling adventure game where you play as Donald Duck as a Private Detective in a Noir-style mystery involving Voodoo Witch Doctors and Sacred statues. The game was a blast, but I don't think it was that successful.
Anyway, Donald who two forms. One was a gun slinging detective (yeah, Donald Duck with a gun. Sleep well on that thought.) and as a ninja (because everything's better with ninjas). The game was completely insane and awsome at the same time!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: thebigdeal,Dec 24 2009 on  09:08 PM
Universal Studios Theme Parks Adventure (GCN)
I've heard of that, many people consinder that game an abomination but it really isn't that bad and it contains the closest thing to a good Back To The Future game.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Maybe I am stretching the terms unknown and unsuccessful a bit because I think some may have heard of this game and I do think that they didn't get red numbers for the game (but that's just my guess). However, one game which got too little attention to be pursued any further (as in creating a sequel or the like) by its creator's was Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
Having played almost all the Civilization engine based games from the same development team (Civilization 2 being the exception) I would say that Alpha Centauri in many ways surpassed the other games of the same genre.
One of the most important qualities of this game is an extremely high developed diplomatic system. In this game you cannot just make alliances with other factions (provided that you share compatible ideals (e.g. a faction of environmentalist democrats will not team up with an authoritarian faction that produces in ways that harm the environment)), but you can actually develop battle plans with them. They make suggestion on where they want to attack and where they would like you to attack and in turn you can also make your suggestions on where you would like to attack and where you would want them to attack. If you agree on such a strategy, they really WILL do their best to live up to their role in the strategy.
Another great plus for this game are the many options of terraforming which allow you to shape the world you end up in to your needs. Apart from the regular farm, road, and mine building there are other options which allow for even higher production rates of nutritients, minerals, or energy but usually at the expense of the environment which can cause serious problems. Moreover you can (given the necessary technological developments and material means) rise or lower the terrain thereby even creating land bridges to islands or "drown" enemy cities by lowering the surrounding terrain below sea level. < This works only if they don't have the improvement built that allows for a town to be build on water grids.
Like that was not enough they also allow you to construct your own vehicles with what technologies you have and depending on what you need (e.g. if you want a unit to maintain law and order in a town rather than fight in open war it is a good idea to equip them with non-lethal weapons thereby increasing their acceptance as police forces by the population).
I could go on like this for a very long time and here I am afraid lies also the reason why the game was not as successful as I think it would have deserved to be. To many players it was probably too complex to enjoy. But as far as I am concerned a sequel of this game with the option to play with more than seven factions and perhaps some of the battle experience boni that have been introduced in Civilization 4 (a nice game but much simpler by comparison) would be plain awesome :yes