The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Multiplayer LBT RPG game

action9000 · 224 · 20972

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
With the new maps: 57/58
that's what I wanna hear! :D

Now that the program works on a basic flat map, I need to make sure it works on other maps.  I'll be messing around with that for awhile now.  May not be any significant updates for a while.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Can't download the file, no biggie I guess since I"m not a coder not like I could help anyway.  Good luck on the project.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm no coder either, really get dizzy of only seeing it. But I like to try to help ^^

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Incoming update!  :D
I think you'll like this one: the game runs faster now!  :lol  :p
http://search3.idrive.com/driveway/jsp/dwa...p?id=x5v2t1d7p4

Okay, what did I do here?

New Stuff:
-The test map is a MUCH smaller file and runs MUCH faster than the old test map.  The map is physically larger and has elevation changes.

-Collisions with slopes are now fully functional.
There is a value in the program, which can be changed at any time, which sets the maximum slope that the player can climb.  If the slope the player is on exceeds that number, the player simply slides down it, picking up speed as they fall.

Bug Fixes:
-Camera now follows the player properly, no matter what height the player is at.

-Camera now collides with the ground (in most cases).  This is still a little buggy but it's a lot better than it was.  I'm working on perfecting this.

-Player no longer walks through walls, but instead attempts to climb the surface.   If it's too steep, the player simply slides back down.

Known bugs:
-Jumping and sliding has a little bit of flickering at times.  I haven't yet figured out why.  I consider this a cosmetic bug, which we can look into later when we have more content.

-The camera will still occasionally go into the wall.  This usually happens when the player is moving.  Typically, collisions seem to work best if the player is stationary.  I really hope I can perfect this collision thing.  I have a theory on what can be done in the map files, but I'm kinda stuck on the code part.

Stuff to ignore:
The flickering numbers across the top and the random text that appears on the screen.  I just had them up to help debug some stuff.

-If you fall off the mountain, you probably can't get back up.  I set the maximum slope you can climb to be really low.  I was testing the functionality and I just forgot to change this number back. :p

COMING SOON:
NETWORK PLAY!
Yes, you heard that right!  I am going to now attempt to impliment networking into the game, which should work over LAN at first.  Once I get LAN working, I'll try to get internet play working.
I will need people to help me test internet gaming, if anyone's interested. B)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
old laptop's framrate: 3/4
this computer's framerate 57/58.

lol, I'm going to check it out on more computers ^^

And about the internetgaming. .im up for that :p

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
action9000, i'm interested in helping you with netplay testing. We can also test a LAN netplay by using local network emulation programms like "Hamachi", BTW. :yes
The framerate on my computer is always around 60 FPS.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
this computer's framerate 57/58.
My computers all run it at 57+ frames per second, so this is awesome!  Looks like the maps were the major cause of the speed problem, indeed. :)

old laptop's framrate: 3/4
This game may place a fair amount of demand on the processor and RAM of your computer.  A computer with a significantly outdated processor will suffer in this game, unfortunately.
I'd like to make this game as compatible as possible with slower computers, I just only have so much control over the speed of the code.  I am using a code library and I don't have access to the code within the commands.  In short...there isn't much I can do speed up the code.  I try to write my code as efficiently as possible but I can't edit the code inside the DarkBasic functions.

And about the internetgaming. .im up for that
Awesome! :)

action9000, i'm interested in helping you with netplay testing. We can also test a LAN netplay by using local network emulation programms like "Hamachi", BTW. 
Hamachi is probably how we'd end up playing this game.  I suspect that the code for LAN games will be significantly simpler than coding an internet game.  I'll focus entirely on LAN for now and if we really need true Internet gaming, we can do that later.
Right now I'm assuming that everyone who helps is willing to use Hamachi and run it in LAN mode.

Thanks for your help! :D
I'll let you know when I'm ready for testing. ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yea.. Well I guess that old laptop is only able to handle msn and internet :p .

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: action9000,Jun 7 2008 on  11:57 AM
I'll let you know when I'm ready for testing. ;)
Good. But then we might face some problems because of the difference in time zones. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
QUOTE (action9000 @ Jun 7 2008, 11:57 AM)
I'll let you know when I'm ready for testing.   

Good. But then we might face some problems because of the difference in time zones. 

Hmm. That could be a problem. i'm 8 hours ahead of action and you are eh 10 I guess.. It still must be possible.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ok on my mother's laptop with windows vista, framerate :58/58/59.

hehe.. I could go under the map.. =p

You think you can let characters run?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looking good Tim! I'm up for testing internet playability. Time zones aren't a problem for me since we both reside in the same province. Also, i don't know if anyone noticed but my character actually started to float up when i left the ground until i reached another level, after that, i wouldn't fall when i walked off the edge.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well everyone, I have a bit of bad news:
First, no, the project isn't cancelled.

I lost my job today. :(  While in theory I have more free time, I really need to find some work ASAP. :P:  Until I get things sorted out over here, I won't be spending nearly as much time programming and working on this game.  The good news is that this shouldn't last very long, but please bear with me.

my character actually started to float up when i left the ground until i reached another level, after that, i wouldn't fall when i walked off the edge.
Did weird stuff only start happening when you stepped into the green area?
My program will not function properly if there is no ground below you.  It also has a bit of trouble recovering from a step into the nothingness. :p

That's a known issue that I don't think is worth resolving because in a real game scenario, there will *always* be ground below you eventually.

You're right though, you found the first "easter egg" of the game:
A secret 2nd level above the first one. :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awww. It's sad that you lost your job.. But I'm sure you'll find something :).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
sorry to hear that you lost your job.

Did weird stuff only start happening when you stepped into the green area?
ya.... just couldn't resist going off the ground. Though i did read before about how in the final game, there would always be land, i thought i might put that out there.

You're right though, you found the first "easter egg" of the game
:DD  :D  :lol:  :lol  :DD

SolarThreehorn

• Chomper
    • View Profile
What softwere are you using to make the game?
Oh, and sorry about your job action9000

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: SolarThreehorn,Jun 12 2008 on  12:32 PM
What softwere are you using to make the game?
Oh, and sorry about your job action9000

An answer?

Quote from: action9000,Feb 14 2008 on  09:42 AM
I am using Blitz3d, a programming library designed specifically for producing computer games (2d or 3d).  The language is similar to a combination of BASIC and Java/C++, with specific libraries which are very useful for game designers, combined with the flexibility of a complete programming language.

The game will be 3d (Direct3D, DirectX 7 or greater required) and already loads a 3d map from an external file which I designed, places a cube on the map (controlled by the player) and lets the player control the movement of the cube and the camera in this 3d world.  It's actually pretty cool. :) I'm just getting some bugs out of my code right now.  It's pretty powerful considering it's only 184 lines so far. ;)

In a perfect world, this game will eventually be a full 3d world, simlar to 3d MMOs like World of Warcraft.  As for how far this game will get in development, it is unsure at the moment.

I am developing this engine for an original game project that a couple of friends and I are attempting.  The game engine happens to also be very useful for an LBT Multiplayer RPG, so I figured I'd throw the idea out there. :)
Guess that's the answer :)