The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Headphones

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Follow up from another topic,  

Action told me that you get more for the money with headphones, rather than speakers. (for computer usage)
I don't know any good trademark at all, neither what I should be looking for. :rolleyes:
Have any tips? This is the place to post em'!
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll see if I can be of help. B)

First of all
Action told me that you get more for the money with headphones, rather than speakers. (for computer usage)
It's true: $40 headphones will sound a lot better than $40 speakers.  If you need speakers though, get speakers. :p Headphones don't work very well if you need to fill a room wit sound. ;)

What do you use your computer for?
Gaming, listening to music, audio editing?  

Have any tips? This is the place to post em'!
First tip: You get what you pay for...to a point.
$40 headphones will be a lot nicer-sounding them $15 headphones.
$100 headphones will be a lot nicer than $40 headphones.
Beyond $100, you really have to ask yourself, do you really want it?  Do you really need it?  The gains beyond that point are rather subtle, but if you're a real audiophile or a huge fan of your music, that might be worthwhile.

Another thing to consider:
Noice cancelling.  Some higher-priced headphones have a feature called "noise cancelling", which uses a battery (which you must supply) to basically reverse any sound coming at you from outside the headphones, effectively making them much quieter.  The benefit of this is that it will reduce outside noise and make your music more enjoyable, in theory.  I'm not a fan of the feature because:
1) it uses batteries
2) Most larger, "over the ear" headphones have enough sound isolation from outside the headphones simply due to the padding on the headphones that having a powered system to reduce noise isn't necessary.
3) It's extemely expensive (usually around $200 for a set of noise cancelling headphones) and the sound quality from those headphones, while good, isn't amazing for the price of the headphones.  Non noise-cancelling headphones for $100 would likely sound much better. :)

If you're looking for a cheap set of headphones (under $35 or so), ask the store if you can try them on.  Comfort is a big concern with headphones, especially if you're wearing them for very long.  Most higher-priced headphones are really designed with comfort in mind, but this is especially a concern for the lower-end models.  Most headphones feel fine but some....just don't.  I've never had a set that's been *really* uncomfortable, but I have definitely had some that are more comfortable than others.

The sad part about buying headphones is that usually you can't try them on or listen to them before you buy them.

It's hard to judge a pair of headphones without ever putting them on.  Check with your store's return policy before you buy any headphones and make sure you can bring them back if you don't like them.

As for sound quality, I'd say stay away from Sony unless you particularily like their stuff.  Sennheiser has been getting very good praise in the headphone market; you might want to check them out.  Petrie speaks highly of them and I trust his ears very much. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Actually I told you about the speaker vs headphone price debate, but I'll let that slide. :p

Tim has mentioned many points about different types of headphones, but I honestly can't give a recommendation unless you tell me a bit more about what you would be doing with them.

1.)  What types of music do you listen to?  (this matters a lot!)
2.)  Do you compress the music on your computer (mp3, wma, aac, etc.) and if so, what bitrate/settings are you using?
3.)  Do you plan on using these headphones with portable players?
4.)  What is your budget?  How much are you really willing to spend?

If you can answer those four questions, we can help you further. :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
It shall be answered:  :^.^:

1) It's so varied that you wont belive it, it can be DragonForce today, and balads  tomorrow!  :wow
2) Yes I do, I don't know
3) Not neccesarly, I have PortaPros for my P2
4) Well, I'll work this summer, so I'll buy them afterwards, My budget will be around 25000 SEK ( 4 038,58 USD ), but I don't want to spend all that!
They will be saved, for upcoming costs such as UNI, car costs etc.
Maybe, around 500 SEK ( 80,77 USD )... NOT above 100 USD!
You know that better than me, what you get for the money.

Action, I use my computer for graphics, music and the net.
This new one can be used as a game-computer, but it's nothing I plan. I'll definitly like to test the LBT RPG game as it progresses though!  :lol:
The computer is my source of music in my home, the other is the PS3 with the HD-TV, but I hardly use it.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help friends!  :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Actually, I think you don't have to buy anything else, unless you want to double dip.  You've already a good headset--the Koss PortaPro is plenty good for a wide range of genres, easy to drive, and fit well on heads.  You can use that with your computer and be more than satisfied with your music collection (as it is compressed). :)

The only reason you *may* want to change headphones is if you listen to music loudly and people around you complain, since the PortaPro is an open-air headphone.  What you would want is closed-air but I haven't used them because I need to hear what is around me, so I won't be much of a help.  Additionally, you'll probably hear all the compression artifacts in your music if the bitrate is too low with a closed-type headphone, so that might be one reason not to get them.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I guess you're right mate!
Don't worry about people that would complain about my music, I get angry easily because of that.  :P:

Thanks!  :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Sure thing.  I didn't know you already owned the PortaPro.  They're often compared to the Sennheiser PX100 (what I own) and most say the differences, outside of looks, are minimal in terms of audio quality.

Sennheiser PX100 on Amazon.com

Koss PortaPro on Amazon.com

Toss up.  In this case, I don't think you should spend more money if you're happy with what you already have.  

You won't find speakers for a low price that can match the quality of what you can get from these headphones.  You can try to find an old boombox with analogue RCA jacks if you can get it cheap...they sound pretty good pumping out tunes!  :DD  If you need speakers, that's my call.