The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Basis for strict LBT role plays in this forum

Petrie. · 24 · 8806

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
1.) There will be no deviation from what we have seen in the series--no ships, no magic, no sudden diet changes (sharpteeth become leaf eaters), etc.

2.) Anytime content not found in a LBT film is posted, it will be removed by the ranking member (any administrator or moderator in the role play).  Repeated offenses (whether accidental or on purpose) can lead to suspension from the LBT role plays.  In other words, read your posts over to make sure they're fine.  That's all it takes.

3.) If you think its dull and boring, then don't bother to read them or join in.  Don't ruin it for those who are LBT originalists and purists and want to role play in this type of setting, sticking to the films.

Any additions to this list may be made.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
"No deviation from what we have seen in the series" pretty much covers it, but here are a few particular points I already posted in the other thread:
Among that stuff that would not appear in a land before time story would be humans, any whatsoever kind of fanfiction stuff, any characters from other stories.
I strongly suggest to keep aliens from outer space out of it. One may hold against this point that we probably had two in LBT 7, but I must say it seemed almost like a non-LBT element in an LBT movie.
Also there ought not to be any magical powers or supernatural abilities whatsoever. Rumors about such stuff perhaps (that was definitely in several LBT movies), but nothing too tangible.
As for violence I think it mustn't be banned from an LBT RPG. We have fights in LBT movies, we have deaths... but lets include that for stories' not for gorries' sake.
Are there any further points or points I named which need to be discussed?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sounds good to me  :DD

Deviation is necessary for the creation of any story, otherwise we'd simply be re-inacting an existing plot.  However if we can keep the RPG within the realm of the LBT world, I think there is still a lot of potential for a strong story (the movies can do it.  We can do it, at least as well, I would think :lol )

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have a question.  How do RPGs work?  Not just LBT ones but any RPG.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I agree as well but if I can have my own dinosaurs in it that would be fine wouldn't it?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't see why not.  It's no different from the addition of Guest Characters in the various sequels.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I agree as well but if I can have my own dinosaurs in it that would be fine wouldn't it?
I think we definitely must have some own characters in an RPG.
I only suggest that we guard against them ousting the original characters. Own characters should definitely get a fair share in an RPG. There is the "risk" that we grow fond to our own creations to a degree that they make us neglect the original characters.

Should there be a basic concept of a story line beforehand, or should the game just be started and develope of its own?
The first might be less chaotic as it would be less likely that people are trying to drag the story in different directions.
The later on the other hand might leave the individual more freedom within the rules set for this game.

There is one more suggestion I have. I suggest that we agree on past tense as the time in which to write the story. It would make it sound more like a book than a script. It might make it more readable:
"Ducky went to the river. Petrie flew above." rather than "Ducky goes to the river. Petrie flies above."

There are some more exams for me to be taken, but from Tuesday evening on I shall have plenty of time for our RPG and I'm sure looking forward to it :)

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I look forward to this too.  Trying to play a few characters in an RPG is difficult enough.  In another RPG, each player can create up to 6 characters, and I'm probably using only 4.  It's good to have more people join in, and it's gonna be fun to really refine my RP skills in a strict RPG.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Four own characters? Let's just make sure they don't oust the original LBT characters too much (considering how far they are going to outnumber the original characters). Should there be any kind of "stiring" the story according to one plot made up beforehand, or should we just start and see how things develope?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Regarding the issue of whether an idea for the story should be "roughed out" before we begin:

Personally, I see the idea of planning the story elements almost as re-inacting the story.  If we already know what we're doing, I wonder how interesting the story will be to role-play.  
Also, the odds of getting everyone to agree fully on a rough story idea, are relatively slim.  We will spend more time planning the RPG than actually taking part in it.

I'd prefer to take a chance, and see where they story goes by improvization.  As long as people adhere to the guidelines, it should work out nicely.  Worst-case scenario, we'll run out of ideas.  We have enough string writers on these forums though, that shouldn't be a problem.

The top priorities as I see it, are:
1) As Malte mentioned, that the main LBT characters don't get ousted by our custom characters.  Any custom characters should remain relatively minor.

2) The story is plausible for an LBT movie, and no outrageous elements or strong language is thrown in.

Perhaps we should just start one, and see where it goes.  I'll leave that in your capable hands, Malte, unless you'd prefer otherwise.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The RPG I was mentioning was an example of how characters I can work with at one time, Malte.  All of my own LBT characters are the ones listed in the other thread, and only the three siblings associate with the Gang the most, even though they are still minor characters.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You know, you could probobly use a "Villian". I love Sharpteeth, and would gladly play out the role of one as long as he's not called:

Stupid
A coward

And as long as he's not deafeted by:

Being tickled
Being tripped by a small Dinosaur

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe we should try to figure out a little more detail to what the story will be about. So far I'm afraid the RPG suffers apart from rare participation (and I'm explicitely blaming myself here) from the fact that we are not "pulling on the same rope". I suppose most of us have something in mind for the story and want to create the scenes for what they have in mind. By doing so the attempts of the others to create such scenes are sort of pushed aside.
For example when I made such a long and elaborate description of the rather defensive nest that clubtail had set up I certainly didn't have in mind that all it should result in was a snort while the characters went on to a different place. I suppose you too had similar cases where your "plans" for the plot kind of "failed".

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, that scene you discribed earlier, I was thinking of coming back to that later on.  As a matter of fact, as soon as my characters are finished with the scene we are working on now, we'll come back to it.  I'll let you know when we get to that part. :yes  :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe we should try to figure out a little more detail to what the story will be about. So far I'm afraid the RPG suffers apart from rare participation (and I'm explicitely blaming myself here) from the fact that we are not "pulling on the same rope".

Honestly, I'm open to basically anywhere this story goes, providing that it stays within the Strict LBT limits.  I'm playing along as if I don't know what's going to happen exactly (I don't, really :p ).  If anyone wants to set up some basis for the plot, I'm happy to listen.  Personally, I haven't had any serious negative feelings toward the RPG as of yet.  This certainly has potential. B)

I certainly see where you're coming from though, Malte.  That would indeed be somewhat frustrating.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi guys I created a new story called Thunder it is strictly LBT based but this has a dinosaur with his mother entering the Great Valley both longnecks. The son named Thunder can not hear at all, they left their herd cause the adults and children treated Thunder like a misbit. More to the start of it about it :) hope you guys join in

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, I was kinda hoping we could finish the other rp we were working on before going on to a new one.  After all, you got onto me for making new rps without finishing old ones.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
this was a idea Ithought off I am still doing other rpgs but this idea I thought I should bring up