The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask The Computer Tech A Question

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Ask me anything, relating to computers or not.  Didn't really wanna open the flood gates, but meh...why not? :p I think I can handle it. :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Have you ever needed to program network communication into a application?  I ask this because I'm struggling with networked multiplayer a bit for our LBT game.  It *works* but it's proving to be rather unstable when lag and imperfect connection strength become factors.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
When I try to insert the google adsense code into a web page, and preview/upload the page, everything is gone except my background. Any ideas?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What would you say is THE hardest thing to pull off with HTML coding for ANY website alive today?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
How do you refresh your browser cache? I'm sick of things telling me to do that and I don't know how.

I'd also like you to check my thread on what's a good computer
what's a good computer.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Have you ever needed to program network communication into a application? I ask this because I'm struggling with networked multiplayer a bit for our LBT game. It *works* but it's proving to be rather unstable when lag and imperfect connection strength become factors.

Yes I've made network enabled programs and unfortunately the only true "right" way to make it work is to have a dependable dedicated connection.  If you can't run it on a server it won't run very well on individual computers as network hosts as I believe you're planning to do.  I thought you were going to research other methods of hosting the game?

When I try to insert the google adsense code into a web page, and preview/upload the page, everything is gone except my background. Any ideas?

It's most likely a element tag that hasn't been closed properly.  I'd have to take a look at your code to be sure.

What would you say is THE hardest thing to pull off with HTML coding for ANY website alive today?

Just straight HTML?  That would definitely be an image map.  Crazy archaic things.  I've only made one once and it was a real b****.

How do you refresh your browser cache? I'm sick of things telling me to do that and I don't know how.

It would depend on your browser.  If you're using IE first off dump it.  Use Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.  In Firefox it's easy.  Just take a look here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to...product&s=cache

I'd also like you to check my thread on what's a good computer.

Will check it out.  I'll make a post there.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*takes a good look at all you know*

Ugh!  How can you wrap your head around all of that computer stuff?  Some of the more complex things I would need a straight forward video of just to get a vague idea of.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I thought you were going to research other methods of hosting the game?
I am but the bottom line is that I simply don't have the resources to host a server here, nor am I willing to pay for a server elsewhere that I'll never get the costs back for.  I also am reluctant to use a server away from my location unless I have  reasonable access privileges because I'll be wanting to install patches and updates to the server software regularily.  I would hate to bug a network admin to do that for me all the time.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What's the nastiest computer virus you've ever dealt with?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What's the nastiest computer virus you've ever dealt with?

Oh gee.....funlove was pretty awful.  All it would do is make your computer show a blank pink screen with the word "FunLove!" in the center of the screen.  If a printer is attached it will print "FunLove!" over and over and over again till you turn off the printer or computer.  Fortunately it only affects computers that have Windows 98 or earlier.  I'll never get that sucker again.  Didn't cure it either.  I was too inexperienced when I got it back in 1999.  I was only 8 years old after all! :p I just wiped it out and started over.....but I did lose everything that was on that machine.

How long have you been working with computers?

For about 13 years.....since I was 5 years old.  Though I might have started a little earlier like a few months before I turned 5.  Gee....I've been working with computers for 13 years!  I feel old now. :lol

Any other questions?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Considering the FACT that you are a Hacker, what was your first official hack?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Considering the FACT that you are a Hacker, what was your first official hack?

I hacked into my own network through a friend's computer.  It was fun! :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Dell just came out with a new laptop that supposedly is "futureistic" in where they don't have an optical drive or memory card reader.  Supposedly this is because they think that we're moving into the download age where you won't need any physical storage.  Do you think this is a smart move?  So far its the first computer I've seen built like this.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/l...14z&cs=19&s=dhs

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is it a smart move to make one?  Yes.  We need to get away from archaic crap like CD's and such.  Flash media and downloading through the internet is the future.  I can't wait till I never have to see another CD again.  Though one wonders how you'd wipe that thing if the recovery partition got corrupted? :unsure:

As for buying one right now, naw that's not such a smart move.  Unless you're me of course.  I haven't burnt or used a CD in years (aside from OS disks which I have to burn and use on a regular basis to restore people's computers).  I haven't even played a real DVD in a couple of years.  Disks are REALLY old, inefficient, and obsolete.  I don't see any advantage to them.  Flash media all the way!  It doesn't cost them any more to make a flash drive then it does a blank CD. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Your thoughts on the new Windows 7 OS that will be coming to stores in a few months?

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
So the hosting service I use is free, so it sucks right, and it doesn't allow iframes. The amazon affliate program I use only gives me code with iframes.

Do you know any way to get the same result without using an iframe?

<iframe src="URL" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

That's the code, I didn't know if you need it or not.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Your thoughts on the new Windows 7 OS that will be coming to stores in a few months?

I can't wait, but I think I'll stick with my Vista for a little while after Windows 7 comes out.  Next time I need to format I'll seriously consider Windows 7 though.  I format every 6 months so I have no doubt that I'll have at least 1 permanent Windows 7 machine within a few months of it's official release.

So the hosting service I use is free, so it sucks right, and it doesn't allow iframes. The amazon affliate program I use only gives me code with iframes.

<iframe src="URL" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The only thing I can think of doing is building a mini flash browser and embedding it in the page.  If your hosting place wont allow you to do iframes, perhaps you should consider switching hosts.  I think there are some free flash based browsers available for download online.  I'd check 'em out.  Of course you'd have to host the application yourself.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 21 2009 on  06:06 PM

The only thing I can think of doing is building a mini flash browser and embedding it in the page.  If your hosting place wont allow you to do iframes, perhaps you should consider switching hosts.  I think there are some free flash based browsers available for download online.  I'd check 'em out.  Of course you'd have to host the application yourself.
Bleh, it's not worth it for like 4 little squares per page. Definitely going to have to switch then. I've already switched once, and this new host is slower than the last. I'll just keep tryin' to get in touch with my buddy, I guess..see if he can help..

Anyway, another question, I don't know if you ever used advertisement on any of your projects. But, I love Google Adsense (it's like the coolest thing ever) and the Amazon thing I'm using currently. You know of any other affiliate/advertisement programs that are cool? (Not yahoo or that doubleclick.net place, they suck :p)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry but I try to stay away from ads.  They've just never been a reliable source of income.  They only really profit those who have 1 million or more visitors per day like cnet.com and ebay.com.  I've studied web advertising, but I doubt I would know anything you don't.  It's never been a subject of interest to me.