The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Questions? Go ahead and ask me

Sky · 185 · 17904

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
From all the movies, it's either 9 or 12. 9 was one of the better sequels in my opinion and I like the last song so much. And of course Mo.  :lol:
12 because of Guido.  :D He's such an awesome character and my inspiration for the wingtails. :^.^:

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In your comic, is Star going to be in it?  Glide?

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Of course!  :o What made you think they might not show up?
Besides, you can clearly see Star's silhouette in my signature.  :angel

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Unless answering this question would be a spoiler to the story (in which case I wouldn’t want it answered), why is your LBT fancomic titled “Dawn of a Wingtail”? :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Dawn doesn't always mean the sun rising, it's also a new beginning (at least it says "Beginn" in german in my dictionary :p)
So I thought "Begin of a new Journey" at first for a title but it sounded boring so I went with "Dawn of a Wingtail" instead. :^.^:

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Hey, that just gave me an idea! :idea Since you opened the comic with a scene of Sky watching the sun set (or at least trying to :p), maybe at the end you could have a scene where he is watching the sun rise (assuming it doesn’t conflict with whatever plans you may have already had).

Do you draw (and color) the comic on paper or on the computer? Or both? :)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I think it's best not to talk about the ending.  :p

I work completely on the computer with a graphic tablet.  :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sky,Jul 15 2010 on  02:14 PM
I think it's best not to talk about the ending. :p
Agreed. :yes Just a suggestion. ;)

I work completely on the computer with a graphic tablet. :)
Wow. It looks so much like a paper-drawn comic. :o

I’m not familiar with graphic tablets. Is using one much harder than drawing on paper?

P.S. Just to warn you, I’m going to be asking a lot of art-related questions in the near future. :p

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Is using one much harder than drawing on paper?
Well, it's more a 'getting used to' thing.  :) You work like on paper except you're looking at your screen instead.

P.S. Just to warn you, I’m going to be asking a lot of art-related questions in the near future. :p
Just keep 'em coming!  :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe a silly question but have you tried drawing on a touch screen type of thing?

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If the Nintendo DS with it's touch screen counts, then yes.  :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sky,Jul 16 2010 on  09:05 AM
Is using one much harder than drawing on paper?
Well, it's more a 'getting used to' thing.  :) You work like on paper except you're looking at your screen instead.
Does the picture appear on the tablet as well while you are drawing it? Or is it just on the monitor, and the tablet is just the surface you move your pen over (like a mousepad to a mouse)? I ask because I'd really like to learn to draw using the computer, but I'm so used to drawing on paper and seeing my hand, my drawing implement, and the picture at the same time, that I fear I'll have trouble adjusting. :unsure:

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^ The picture you are drawing can only be seen at your monitor and yeah, the tablet would be like a mousepad with the pen as a mouse.
But there is also the 'Cintiq' tablet from Wacom (something I always wanted but cannot afford...:cry): Wacom Cinitq
With a Cintiq, you can see your drawing on the tablet screen just like you would draw on paper.  :D

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Wow, thanks for sharing that. :)

That relates to the next thing I was going to ask you: what brand of tablet do you have, and what program(s) do you use to make your artwork?

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun. Wacom's tablets are quite good in my opinion. :)

I use Photoshop 7.0 for coloring and Manga Studio EX4 for the lineart.
But I recently got into Paint Tool SAI to do the lineart. They look much smoother and dynamic that way. :^.^:

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is based on a topic Caustizer brought up in your Dawn of a Wingtail thread:

Do male wingtails have wing membranes like the females that are just hidden by their feathers, or are their wings comprised entirely of feathers like a bird's? I always assumed it was the latter, but thinking about it, it would be more scientifically believable if both male and female wingtails had membranes, and different feather distribution patterns, as opposed to having completely different wing structures.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Woah! How could I miss this question? :blink: Sorry to keep you waiting.  :oops

I knew the problem with their wings will come up sooner or later... :unsure:
Well, male wingtail wings are completely feathered. No membranes at all.
Female have membraned wings, but with a secondary pattern of feathers attached.

Now I'm not a scientific guy, I just gave them different wings to differ who's male or female. I was young and thought the idea was cool (though, the way I draw female wings doesn't look as good as male wings).  :p

Aah... things like this regarding character designs makes me feel sad and unsafe about their current appearance.  :(
I would like to see them more realistic, but I have no idea how.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Well…you could us the idea I suggested that male wingtails DO have membranes, but unlike the females, which only have a single row of feathers close to the arm, they have feathers covering the entire membrane, thus obscuring it. Or you could say that males have smaller membranous wings than females, so they compensate by having more extensive wing feathers. Alternatively, you could go the opposite route and say that female wingtails have reduced wing feathers and larger membranes. I don’t know what you envisioned for wingtail nesting and parenting behavior, but one explanation you could use is that female wingtails evolved featherless membranous wings for nest brooding, the better for transferring heat to eggs and chicks. (Many modern birds shed the feathers from patches of their undersides during nesting season, exposing blood-vessel-rich skin for this exact purpose, as feathers are poor conductors of heat.)

I’d be happy to help you brainstorm further ideas for wingtail biology if you like. :)

New question: What are the dimensions of your Wacom tablet? I’m thinking of saving up for a drawing tablet (maybe even a Cintiq), but I’m not sure whether I should shoot for one with a big 17” x 12.75” screen, or a smaller 10.3 x 6.4”. I thought I’d ask the master what he recommends. :angel

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm, never thought about the nest brooding... now it makes sense to me.  :)
I'm still unsure about the male's wings. Are you suggesting that their membranes are completely covered by feathers that you can't see them (like they were never there) or that you can see them only slightly? :confused

As for the tablet, hmm... hard to say. If you buy a Cintiq, I suggest to test it out first and look at the system requirements.
Smaller tablets are less expensive and you can take them anywhere with you. Though, bigger tablets give you more 'freedom' (as in more space) to work with. :)
But I recommed to test drawing on a simple, not too expensive tablet first if you're not familiar with it so you have a much better impression. :^.^:

Oh yeah, my tablet is 8.4 x 7.6.  ;)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the advice. :)

Quote from: Sky,Jul 29 2010 on  02:08 PM
I'm still unsure about the male's wings. Are you suggesting that their membranes are completely covered by feathers that you can't see them (like they were never there) or that you can see them only slightly? :confused
Yeah, the first thing you said is exactly what I had in mind. :yes My thought was that the feathers that fringe the wing (the primaries) are attached to the edge of the membrane, so the membrane is hidden even though there are spaces between the feathers. That way, you could say that male wingtails always had membranes without contradicting all of your previous artwork.

When you originally created the wingtails, what did you envision their diet to be? Did you come up with the idea that they loved fish, or was that Caustizer's invention?