The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Under-rated animation films...

Saft · 35 · 2939

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Ah, I love Titan A.E.! Haven't seen it in forever, but I used to watch it all of the time.

As for underrated films, I'm going to have to go with Scamper the Penguin :D
Wonderful little film from my Childhood. A bit corny, but I still enjoy it.

Plague Dogs. Dang, did I ever cry after this one.

The Silverwing movies. Not the best animation, and I haven't had a chance to read the books, but I enjoyed the films nonetheless!

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Never saw Princess and The Frog, bUt I heard it was pretty good. in today's marketing, theres so many movies out there that its much harder  to build momentum for a film unless its a down year with not many good films..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Too true. Princess and the Frog is a wonderful movie on par with the films of the 80s-90s Disney Renaissance, but it got buried under the hype of a bunch of other films coming out at the same time. The same thing happened with Disney's A Christmas Carol, which was an awsome retelling of the classic Dickins tale.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
is that the one with jim carrey as scrooge. the problem with that film is that it so very familiar that it takes a superb performamnce to stasnd out in the role..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Aw I totally forgot Princess and the Frog! I saw it in theaters and had a great time! Nick22, it really is a good movie. The animation was beautiful! It really is too bad that it didn't do well in the Box Office...

I haven't seen Disney's Christmas Carol. It didn't really interest me too much.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'll try and remnt it then... Lets hope they don't bastardize it with a sequel, like Disney has done to many of its films.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I like "The Swan Princess", and I think it's unfortunate the company screwed up by releasing it around when "The Lion King" was released :slap.  This film could've made the company much, much bigger bucks :yes.

I don't care what anybody says about this one, but I really feel "We're Back!  A Dinosaur's Story" was underrated.  Call it LBT on crystal meth if ya will.  I still found this film quite memorable.  Dweeb is so adorable in a dorky, clumsy sort of way :).

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Aug 18 2010 on  03:51 PM
I don't care what anybody says about this one, but I really feel "We're Back!  A Dinosaur's Story" was underrated.  Call it LBT on crystal meth if ya will.  I still found this film quite memorable.  Dweeb is so adorable in a dorky, clumsy sort of way :).
That movie....that movie is just awesome.  I have it on my computer and I love it....one of the best underrated movies around there.  John Goodman as Rex....he suits the role, especially in his musical number half way through the movie, heading through Times Square in the Thanksgiving Day Parade thing.....that was full of win XD

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We're Back... i used to love that movie so much, i even had the SNES game of it. I can't say that i really like the movie that much anymore but i will watch it if im in the right mood. I laugh every time when Prof. Screweyes dies though, it makes no sense.

especially in his musical number half way through the movie, heading through Times Square in the Thanksgiving Day Parade thing.....that was full of win XD
Haha i have that song on my ipod.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quite a few under-rated animated films I like very much:

Dragon Hill 1 & 2 are both set in a world inhabited by dragons and connected to other dimensions through space and time. Very simplistic plot, but I love it most for how cheesy it is. Weird characters, rubbish villains, hilariously bad English dubbing... and oh god is it glorious, not to mention it's very nicely animated.

The sequel ups the cheese level significantly. There's a sub-plot revolving around road signs... in a fantasy world. Also, there's cake. Glorious.

On the other side of things is Dragon Hunters, a film and a cartoon series... both are good (both are also different stories), but I love the film for the way it fleshes out the characters and how unique the setting is... and oh man the animation is amazing. Some of the floating island sequences near the end blew my mind.

Most of all I love the way they make dragons unique (some aren't really dragons at all), such as the snot shooting slug, electric raptor dragons, the demon dragon made out of hundreds of bats... oh and Hector, who pees fire. Glorious.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Aug 12 2010 on  11:41 AM
As for underrated films, I'm going to have to go with Scamper the Penguin :D
Wonderful little film from my Childhood. A bit corny, but I still enjoy it.
I just finished watching that today with my sister. I didn't really like it too much. The design was cute, I'll give it that. But I didn't like the story that much. Could have been executed better in my opinion.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Aug 18 2010 on  07:15 PM
We're Back
hahahaa yeah. I remember that film. It made no sense whatsoever but it was fun to watch as a kid.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Once Upon a forest; Tells a good story.

The Brave Little Toaster; A unique movie that doesn't involve toys but appliances instead.

James and the Giant Peach; This movie is great because of the visuals.

The Page Master; A true fantasy film in my opinion.

I feel that all four of these movies are great but somewhat forgotten.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm watching a movie called Felidae. This is awesome, deliciously violent and seems very realistic.

Edit: After having watched the full thing, I can say it surivives off it's cool/shock value. There's an intriguing backstory, but the main story isn't handled very well. Maybe I should look for the book this is based on.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Felidae is different.  You don't learn a ton about Francis, but you learn more about the other cats in the city.  Definitely not your usual animation film.  I believe this came out of Germany.