The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dictator Search

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Was their ever a Dictator in History, that would do what Darth Vader does in these youtube videos called You have failed me for the last time admiral and Apology accepted Captain Needa?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Execute the own subordinates for failing to reach expectations or disobeying orders is not unheard of in history though it wasn't always a single dictator giving the order.
One case so dark that it may surpass even Darth Vader's actions is that of the Roman Consul Titus Manlius Imperiosus Torquatus who lived in 4th century BC.
He was a strict disciplinarian and during a campaign he gave the order that nobody was to leave his post. His son son upon seeing a group of enemy skirmishers who called insults at the Romans saw a chance for glory, attacked the skirmishers and defeated them. Proudly presenting the spoils of this victory to his father the son was probably surprised when his father ordered the legion to assemble to witness his (the son's) execution for trespassing the order.
There are reports that the Carthaginians generally executed unsuccessful generals by crucifixion, but I don't know how reliable those claims are. They are Roman sources and the Romans were all out to let the world know how very, very mean the Carthaginians had allegedly been. In any case I don't know the names of any Carthaginian generals who were killed that way.
I'm sure there are more examples but I would have to look up those. I believe I heard such stories about Chinese or Japanese commanders as well, but I really would have to look it up. I think that often lack of success along would not suffice for an execution so accusations of intended treason would often go along with it...
There are also cases of commanders ordered to be killed by their lords for being too successful and influential, Wallenstein being probably the most famous example.

Is there a particular reason for your interest in this?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Stalin executed most of his army high command during the great purge.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Generals during the French Revolution also stood a good chance to be executed by their dissatisfied supperiors. Eustache Charles d'Aoust
Eustache Charles d'Aoust, Alexandre de Beauharnais (this one is mostly known for being the first husband to the later wife of Napoleon Bonaparte), and Adam, Philippe, Comte de Custine are only some examples. Most were executed at the order of Maximilien Robespierre, a man who (interestingly enough) used to be an opponent to the death penalty in his earlier days.