The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Guitar Hero is dead

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
After releasing sequels after sequels of Guitar Hero once (or twice) every damn year, ActiVision has finally succeeded in killing off the plastic guitar franchise due to the fact that they were not able to make enough profit out of the franchise anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njm3HWfjjsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yTWP_p7jWw

R.I.P, 5-colored plastic guitar frets.

On the bright side though, there's still the Rock Band series. ;)

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
You know, I'm not surprised at all by this. The GH games were getting stale ever since GH III, because World Tour just seemed like a direct copy of RB. I think GH could have survived if it wasn't releasing so many games as often as it did. I think if World Tour wasn't released, and they made GH 5 into GH 4 with guitar only play, it could have worked. GH 3 was doing fine even with RB 1 out at the time.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i'm not surprised.  the games kept getting worse and worse, theres only so much effort you can put into a game in a year. most good gamew take 2, 3 or 4 years to make.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like it may have been a better franchise if they did put the games out ever x number of years and take their time.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Guitar Hero began going downhill when it tried to do what Rock Band does and offer all the instruments. The game is called Guitar Hero after all. When Guitar Hero III and Rock Band were both out, I played both because each one offered different gameplay. Sure, they derived off of the same idea, but Guitar Hero focused more challenging and tailored to one or two people, while Rock Band wasn't as challenging but allowed for more players. If they had kept going like they did then, Activision wouldn't have been facing that problem. They could have released one game one year, then have Harmonix release a Rock Band game the next year, and then switch on and off each year. That way the market wouldn't be getting oversaturated while still maintaining the attention of gamers.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This news is good to me.  I despise the GH francishe as much as I despise the Halo franchise.  Now all they need to do is kill the Halo franchise and I shall be a happy person.  As the CoD franchise can keep on going for a tad longer at the very least, it isn't quiet dead to me.

But the GH franchise being killed like that, as I said, I am very happy about that.  I've tried playing the games before and they are okay at the most, but nothing to go and jizz in your pants about.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Feb 11 2011 on  02:08 AM
while Rock Band wasn't as challenging
*looks at the drums chart of Visions on expert*

*dies*

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I mean, look guys, we're talking about guitar hero here, not a franchise that literally involves the creativity of every one of it's members. It only requires a new tracklist and fretlists to go along with them and that's it. As I have already hinted at, Activision already came out and said that they work around quantity instead of quality with most of their newer products. It was only a matter of time before this would effect sales.

and MrDrake, don't diss Halo.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: 2007excalibur2007,Feb 11 2011 on  03:17 AM
Quote from: LBTFan13,Feb 11 2011 on  02:08 AM
while Rock Band wasn't as challenging
*looks at the drums chart of Visions on expert*

*dies*
Ok, I probably should have been more clear. Rock Band 1 on Guitar wasn't that challenging, besides Green Grass and Tides (name?).

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Feb 12 2011 on  12:55 AM
So I guess I am the only one on this planet that thinks that the Halo franchise has gone on long enough with however many godforsaken games they have as it is.  I can already tell that they are going to just keep on milking the franchise, make a game based on every single pointless aspect that they can find, which in the end, wont even need explaining, because it's a bloody door that open and closes on a ship and that's it, there is no need to make a game about that :p

So yeah, i shall diss Halo as much as I feel like thank you very much XD

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: MrDrake,Feb 11 2011 on  04:40 PM
Quote from: Campion1,Feb 12 2011 on  12:55 AM
So I guess I am the only one on this planet that thinks that the Halo franchise has gone on long enough with however many godforsaken games they have as it is.  I can already tell that they are going to just keep on milking the franchise, make a game based on every single pointless aspect that they can find, which in the end, wont even need explaining, because it's a bloody door that open and closes on a ship and that's it, there is no need to make a game about that :p

So yeah, i shall diss Halo as much as I feel like thank you very much XD
Milking the franchise? With only about what, five games? That is milking to you? You want to talk about milking? Talk to EA. Talk to Nintendo. Talk to Activision. I bet you don't know anything about halo except how master chief looks and what normal mode plays like. Wahh, I don't like halo so it should end already! Grow up.

also this isn't the thread for baseless halo bashing XD

so keep it out of here.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bah, spoiling my fun, how dare you! :p

But yes, you are right, this is not the place to hate Halo, it's the place to hate Guitar Hero XD

But I shall agree with you, Nintendo....too much milking there, with Mario....I almost feel sorry for the Italian Plumber, so many games.....sort of like Sonic the Hedgehog....

But anyway, as I said it before, Guitar Hero, glad it's dead....they should've stayed with the guitar only and left the whole band thing to, oh I don't know, Rock Band, hence the "band" part in its name....and keeping the whole guitar thing to Guitar Hero", it's even got "guitar" in its name for crying out loud :p

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hey guys, let's not get out of hand here. I'm all up for discussion, but there's no need to attack anybody or get hostile.

Now on the subject of Halo, I will agree and disagree with MrDrake. I disagree with saying that the Halo franchise is milking itself. Yes, there are six games in the franchise, but lets look at this. Halo was first released in 2001, Halo 2 in 2004, and Halo 3 in 2007. Bungie followed a really nice pattern with the three year gap in between each game. Halo Wars came out in 2009 and went back to what Halo was originally developed as AND was created by a different studio. Halo 3: ODST was released later in 2009 by Bungie, a game that did not reuse the same formula as used in the previous games by putting you in the role of a marine rather than Master Chief. Halo Reach came out in 2010, a quick release yes. Again, it put you in the roles of a character other than Master Chief and served as the prequel to the series, as well as made up for what most consider the disappointment that was ODST. Sure, three Halo games were released between 2009 and 2010, but they played differently from the original trilogy.

Having said that, I will agree that I am happy Bungie is no longer making Halo games. They have developed a well crafted franchise in the span of nine years, and I feel that this was the perfect opportunity to end their franchise. Halo Reach is the peak of their work, and releasing another game would be milking the franchise. However, I believe that if another three or four years goes by until another Halo game, then that will be welcome because it's given them some breathing room.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well put. I never took the dates of release into account.

But I shall agree with you, Nintendo....too much milking there, with Mario....I almost feel sorry for the Italian Plumber, so many games.....sort of like Sonic the Hedgehog....

But anyway, as I said it before, Guitar Hero, glad it's dead....they should've stayed with the guitar only and left the whole band thing to, oh I don't know, Rock Band, hence the "band" part in its name....and keeping the whole guitar thing to Guitar Hero", it's even got "guitar" in its name for crying out loud
I was actually thinking more about pokemon when I mentioned nintendo, but ok  :p No offense to anyone who likes pokemon

I don't care too much about guitar hero being shut down either. Fun while it lasted, I guess.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I never understood the hype about Guitar Hero. Why not just learn how to play a real guitar?

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
^
The thing about Guitar Hero is that it makes people want to learn how to play real guitar. Playing a fake plastic guitar might not actually help learning to play a real guitar, but at least it helps in basic left and right hand coordination. :)

Plus, they have a few great rock songs to jam to in their tracklists, which is always awesome. That, and band/artist exposure - getting more people to listen to their songs more often. :smile