The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A computer game I made

vonboy · 16 · 1901

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This was a computer game I made about 2 years ago for my high school senior project. It's a simple arcady puzzle game where you have use a slingshot to try to shoot a ball into a hole.

Here's the link to the game: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/96048-sling-ball

This game was made using Game Maker. I spent about 6 months working on it off and on. I showed it to a lot of students at my school while I was working on it. One in particular followed it almost from the beginning, and was inspired to learn how to program to work on his own games :DD .

I know it still has some bugs in it, but I'm not going to work on it anymore. I decided that after I turned it in, I would be done with it. It's still a fun little game though.

So, what do you think about it?

EDIT: Link got broken somehow, so fixed it. I think the Website's URL changed.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
No one even wants to try it out?
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I thought I had.  I did and some of the stages/areas were pretty hard.  Some I had to throw one ball after another, using a brute force method, till it worked.  I eventually hit one I had no idea how to solve so quit.

Interesting simple game.  Think you'd want to make more or go into making simpler casual games like this one?

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, I guess I didn't notice you played it. I just saw that the times played wasn't going up any, so I thought no one was even giving it a try.

I tried to make the game challenging on purpose. If you got stuck on level 25 (I think that was the level. I haven't played it myself in awhile.) that level has a game-breaking bug in it that makes it pretty much unbeatable :(.

I've tried to make more games since this one, but I've got bored of them, and none of them have gotten very far at all. This is about the only protect I've ever taken this far. Everything else gets dropped for some reason or another along the line.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm I might try it out sometime when I get home from school today. I've Also made a game using game maker for my video games studies class. It was a space shooter, only had 3 levels but then again my group only had about 2 weeks to make it.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If that game is uploaded somewhere, I'd like to try it out.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I do wonder how many folks here made games.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i just tried it out, got up to the bug at level 25. Never really tried to go for par on most of them, especially the ones that are par 0 with the steel ball (really hard with game makers wonky collision). Overall it was pretty cool, with enough changes to make things different/harder as you progress. I must say that the fan noise is annoying as it doesnt stop. I know that you've said that your not working on the game anymore, but i would have liked to have a different way of panning the camera around. I found it annoying that every time I made a shot upwards my camera would pan downwards. Also, the quit level button doesnt stay relative to the top right corner of the view lol. I never ended up putting my game up on the site as there are quite a few sprites and such the my friend and i got last year and we have not sourced them at all...plus mines a whopping 29MB, talk about inefficient lol.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I know the game still has it's problems. I think I DO still have the source code though, if I did ever want to work on it again.

Have you tried working on any other games than the one you made for your class?
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well just recently I've been re working the whole game from scratch now that I don't have a deadline for it. Right now I just have the main functionality of ship movement/firing, pausing, using continues/game over, menu navigation and 2 enemies. I could send you what I've got if your interested.

Other then that I haven't really made any other games.

Btw I'm curious, for coding your game did you use the preset drag and drop code, or did you use gml?

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I mostly used GML. I'm more used to using game maker that way, and there's a lot more you can do with the program if you use it that way.

If you ever want to upload your reworked game, I'd love to try it out. I hope it gets a lot better, since you have time to work on it now.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yea I'm completely using gml this time and it's definitely a lot more fun to use once you get familiar with all the main functions. As for the game itself, i haven't uploaded it at all but I can email it to you if you want.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Anyone else want to give my little game a try?
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I tried it. It's fun! There is a lot variety in levels, and the game isn't too easy nor too hard.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have tried it, and it is an interesting game.  However, I can't beat 25 due to a bug.  It has to do with the "ball-relocate" at the top of the level.  Once I make it to another ball-relocate, a ball gets stuck at the previous one on top.  So, I try to remove it, only to lose the ball due to the black hole, thus making it unbeatable.

Unless you fix the glitch, I can't beat the game. -_-

Other than that, I consider it interesting.  Fix the bug, and it could become something bigger. ;)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's still here if someone wants to try it out :)
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)