The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So after playing this game all day yesterday, I wrote a fine review over on Amazon and will post it here.

[Review start](in purple, for Spyro :D) When I first saw a screenshot of this game, I absolutely despised it due to our beloved Spyro getting a major change in character design that looks like a mix between some sort of insect and a dragon, and due to the fact that Spyro is not the main character anymore. Being a true Spyro fan, however, I took the risk and bought the starter pack. After playing for an hour, my view of the game changed (almost) completely. I still find Spyro's character design to be horrendous, but I found the gameplay was not bad and the storyline good. One thing I found annoying is the absence of a jump. I don't get why they don't have a jump button for the PC/console versions. Besides the missing jump button, I was okay with the controls. Gameplay wise, you have two basic attacks: primary and secondary. As you play throughout the game, you can upgrade these attacks. Also, you eat to recover your health. Interesting. The graphics are good, childish in nature, but this game was made for children. Going through the first level, defeating bad guys was fun. And I like Spyro's charge in this game. And there is co-op. Just put another character on the portal and tada! The second character just pops up in the game! All without interrupting it! You can play co-op or head to head where you fight each other.
I like the idea that these little action figures can store data that is amassed in the game. You can hook it up to another PC/console and the data is still there, saved in the little Spyro. Not only that, but you can take your action figure and place it on another Portal of Power that is hooked up to a different console and still play it there! And if you switch characters, it doesn't interrupt the game either. You just switch characters in-game! This idea was incredibly ingenious.
I was thinking about just passing up on this game, and I'm glad I didn't. After so many games that could only be described as boring (in my OPINION), this is a fun game. The musical score sort of reminds me of the original Spyro trilogy soundtracks. Although, one thing I must state: certain places can not be accessed without a certain Skylander. This means you will need to buy at least 5 other characters, 1 for each elemental class you don't have. I would say buy the 3 Character Pack 3, Stealth Elf, and Sonic Boom. That will give you all 8 elements. That comes to about an extra $39.97. It's a lot to pay for a game, I know. If you're going to buy this game for Christmas, make sure you save enough to buy these extras, or if you don't feel like wasting your money, just go buy a different game. I had money saved, so I was fortunate enough.
I wouldn't recommend it to people who are too closed minded to try something new or people who are low on funds, but for those with the extra money and the open mind to try something new, I highly recommend.
[Review end]
I was really shocked with this game. Even though the developers screwed with the series, they did it in a fun way.  :p
I realize that there is nothing about the plot up there. Well, basically you are saving the Skylands from Kaos. You are the Portal Master and must, using the Skylanders, defeat Kaos.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Being a fan of the Spyro series, I might give this one a try. Though I still think the character design sucks and that it won't be as good as the Legend trilogy.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i think there was still a few good stories left in the Legend trilogy, and that spyro is ultimately about a world of dragons..and magic.. this looks like a generic  'action figure game' that you see on tv from time to time..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: