The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Kung Fu Panda 2

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
SPOILER ALERT

I've been thinking about the big twist at the very end of the movie, where Po's biological father is still alive and living with other pandas, and I realized just how brilliant it was for the guys at Dreamworks to put that in.

Considering that the KFP film series is going to be a six-part saga, it was important for them to have something that connects this movie to the next in the series. It's like that one huge plot twist at the season finale of a TV series, like Lost.

That's just my opinion.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how that worked all worked out with those survivors.
But mostly, I do hope there's more of that connected to Shen screwing around with his fate XD . Great job fixing it, there.

Aw, man, we Shen fangirls are hoping that he pops back up somehow.
"GREETINGS PANDA!"

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree, I would like to see Shen again in some way in the next movie; even if he'll be in some flashback sequence that'll show how Po's father survived the panda massacre.

Shen was such an awesome villain. Aside from the fact that he's the guy who (presumably) murdered Po's mother, I loved the animation and voice of him. He was so sinister; far more sinister and twisted than Tai Lung. But I also like how they made him conflicted too when the Soothsayer told him that his parents did love him when he thought they always hated him. It's important to make even the bad guys not wind up being either Mary Sues or Gary Stus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I guess my favorite thing about Shen is his relationship with the Soothsayer.
Like I said before, she was his nanny, and was really the only person who gave him the love he wanted. So, in the movie, she's probably the only person he really loves.
Which is why he's FAR more lenient to her than anyone else.
I find it funny that when some sources mention that he does threaten her, but he really doesn't.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
By the sounds of it there could be a third installment.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've heard that as well. It's pretty ambitious, but they also said the main film series will revolve around one massive story arc. So far it sounds like it'll work a lot better than most other animated sequels.

To me, the biggest problem with animated sequels is that they always seem to end one story, then instantly move onto a whole new one. The only exception I'm willing to make to that rule is the Toy Story movies; but that generic problem is IMO what led to the downfall of the Shrek series.

In other KFP related news, you guys should totally check out my fan fic that I'm writing and posting on ff.net. I'll post the link to it in the Written Word section of this site.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Kung Fu Panda mostly sticks to a story.
The second is about how Po came to be what he was, and the third might just finish it...mooostly...the latter three is, for the most part, a big mystery.

When I watched it with my boyfriend, I was like "a cliffhanger! Third movie won't be random sh!t!"

Also, I told my boyfriend that as soon as I got home, I'd be raiding dA for Shen art. Right as I realized I adored him, I also realized that he was probably gonna die.
So, when the Soothsayer said "you will find yourself...at the bottom of the stairs", I thought he was going to get killed falling off a flight of stairs. But she was just messin' with him.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I loved that scene as well, along with what was said after that part:

Soothsayer: I see... I see... I see pain. (plucks out one of Shen's feathers)

Shen: Ow!

Soothsayer: And anger. (bites Shen's robe)

Shen: How dare you! That is the finest silk in the province!

Soothsayer: Followed by denial.

Shen: This is not fortune-telling! You're just saying what is happening right--

Soothsayer: Now?
-----------------------------

I also liked how Tigress' attitude towards Po has drastically changed since the first movie. I'm amazed how it went from...

"You're a discrage to kung fu and if you have any respect for who we are and what we do, you will be gone by morning."

All the way to...

"The hardcore do understand... but I can't watch my friend be killed."

Pretty remarkable in my opinion.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I need to see it soon. It looks really good.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I loved Tigress' transition too.
I especially liked her not-caring attitude of Po's Shifu impression to daring him to stuff two more bean buns into his mouth XD ! (And, in the credits of the first film, she is doing a Shifu impression with a noodle-stache...with Shifu laughing at it).

And I loved how Crane just seemed to be asking for a hug after she hugged Po XD .

My favorite part, though, is when Shen was with the Soothsayer in the fireworks factory, when the Soothsayer told him that his parents really loved him, when he had thought that they hated him.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ I have to say, that's my favorite scene of this film as well. It really does capture how conflicted of a character he is, and that he isn't just your cut and dry villain. I think he really played a big part (for me at least) in making this movie what it was, and complimented the plot rather well. I was secretly hoping the whole time that maybe by some remote chance things would not end as they did for him. But yeah, as it's a six part series, he's just one aspect of the story that Po will be encountering, though he certainly made for one of the best of those aspects. :DD And well, he was the whole contrast to Po as well. I guess in writing the story they wanted one to benefit from their traumatic past, and the other to not do so.

And your otter and cygnet idea sounds awesome, Ptyra! I love otters, myself (hence why I bought a plush of one for my Birthday :DD), and it sounds like a rather fascinating concept.   :D

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I also loved this line...

Monkey: At the first sight of trouble, I'll give you a signal. Ka-kaw! Kee-kee!

Po: You mean like Crane does?

Monkey: Yeah.

Crane: Excuse me, when have I ever made that noise?

Then later on durig the final battle, Crane does in fact make that noise. XD

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I really didn't like the movie.  Everything that happened was so utterly predictable that it ruined it for me.  Not to mention the overall storyline just sucked.  It was too simple and too overly used - and I don't watch a lot of movies. <_< Overall a huge disappointment.  I was expecting much more from 3 years of constant work.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well I will watch the movie and see for myself if it's that bad of a movie.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Don't say it like that, it's not a bad movie at all. I thought the storyline was a lot more personal than the first.

That goes for Lord Shen as well. Tai Lung mainly had a major beef with Shifu and Po never met him or heard of him until the events of the first movie. Shen on the other hand had a lot to do with what happened to his parents, so he's a very fitting villain for Po to fight.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah that's good that you liked the movie. I'm glad you did.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Spartanguy88,Jul 4 2011 on  11:28 PM
I loved that scene as well, along with what was said after that part:

Soothsayer: I see... I see... I see pain. (plucks out one of Shen's feathers)

Shen: Ow!

Soothsayer: And anger. (bites Shen's robe)

Shen: How dare you! That is the finest silk in the province!

Soothsayer: Followed by denial.

Shen: This is not fortune-telling! You're just saying what is happening right--

Soothsayer: Now?
-----------------------------

I also liked how Tigress' attitude towards Po has drastically changed since the first movie. I'm amazed how it went from...

"You're a discrage to kung fu and if you have any respect for who we are and what we do, you will be gone by morning."

All the way to...

"The hardcore do understand... but I can't watch my friend be killed."

Pretty remarkable in my opinion.
Well when she first said that Po was just a Panda. He had just started off as getting to know the Furious Five. So I would think  that her attitude towards him  would change drastically once he proved himself to be the real Dragon Warrior and save China.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just say this. And I am speechless.

The movie was absolutely amazing! I loved the whole thing! It was totally epic. Better than the first? Phooey to that. It made the first look horrible! And the first was pretty good.

First off, Shen was a much better villian than Tai Lung, as said before. Instead of just wanting to conquer China for just...conquering China without any real backstory towards any of the main characters except Shifu, Shen wanted to just coz he's a freaking awesome villian, and he has a connection to Po's past, which was told brilliantly. Not a fangirl (yet, that is), but pretty dang inpressed by his awesomeness.

Absolutely loved the flash backs of Po's past and how Shen killed his mother and how she risked her life for his. I swear I got teary-eyed when that moment came around...and it takes a lot to do that!

I recommend this to anyone who wants to see it. You will not be disappointed. :yes