The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

3DS Price Cut

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, those of you waiting until a price cut to buy the 3DS, well, you're getting your wish.

Nintendo will be cutting the price from $250 to $170.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk72wo_ni...games#hp-sc-p-1

Not sure when the price cut will happen, but it's very much welcomed, Nintendo.  Thank you!

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
wow, must really be a sign that the 3DS isn't selling well.

Or, it could be that they're about to do a remodel.

hmm.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I herd sometime in Agust they will drop it down. And the Wii also went from 250.00 to 150.00

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Those prices are absolutely asinine.  Nintendo got greedy.  Now they're not selling them so they're doing us a "favor" by reducing the price to something that's just crazy instead of asinine.  Crap like this is the first thing to go in a bad economy.  I'm sure Nintendo is really feeling it.  Also this is why Microsoft is offering a FREE XBOX360 to students with a computer purchase of $699 or more.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Cheap company. You can get a X Box360 for like 200 or less now. So let me get this right if you spend 700 we will give you a 130 to 200 system that no one wants anymore. That is just stupid. And plain cheap to a multi  billion dollar company like Microsoft. They could afford to give those away now for free. And yep a hand held that is worth the same price as a Wii when it first came out was very greedy of them. I'm sure they know that the economy is horrible right now but all they care about is money. still 170 is kinda high I will wait until they go way down.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
still 170 is kinda high I will wait until they go way down.

I'll also wait. I've discussed this also with my forum members, and I'm sure Nintendo got serious problems if they have to drop the price that much. However, 250 was way too expensive.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm sure Nintendo will drop the price in time for the holidays. :yes

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
How can you blame a company for throwing a high price on new cutting edge hardware, and then yell at them when they decide to throw you a bone?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^Because, you seem to be missing the point.  $250 is an ASININE price for a handheld gaming console.  Especially when the company in question utilizes slave labor in China to get their consoles for $2.11 or some other ridiculously low price.  $100 should be the maximum price for any handheld.  $200 for consoles.  I'm so sick of these greedy ass companies.  Then people actually think they're doing them a FAVOR.  It's just laughable.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
I've found out more about the price cut

It will happen August 12 and for those who connect to the e shop before then will get 20 free virtual console games.

I'll just wait for the price to drop.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
wow 20.00 whole dollars can they afford it? And same here.. Still 170 is wicked high for a hand held game system. still to this day there DS Lite's are still 130.00 used. Wicked high still. These companies are extremely greedy when it comes to new stuff. Hence why our economy is in a slump right now.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Having not played the 3DS yet I won't criticize it as a console, but I can't help but think that this price cut is because of not living up Nintendo's expectations. Even if they are in first with the Wii, an under-selling handheld is still something they don't want.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow...this is suddenly becoming an incoherent flame thing. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to call these companies greedy by wanting to get their stuff for cheap or for free? Isn't this price cut exactly what you want? Why are you still getting upset? "Give us your stuff but don't make us pay for it. That makes you wrong and us right." If you don't want it, don't get it. Simple as that.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm not complaining, I'm just guessing about the reasoning behind it. I'd kind of like a 3DS myself, but only later when certain titles I'm looking forward to are out.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I think this is something we saw coming from a mile away. It's not unusual for a new piece of kit to be launched at a ridiculous price to begin with because there will always be those who will leap at the idea to be one of the first ones to own the new tech regardless of the price. All marketing strategies. Still, those of us who have held off knew a price drop was inevitable and probably did the wiser thing.

I think the 3DS's major problem was it was released with a really weak catalogue of release titles. There was nothing to grab the interest of the gamers who would have normally dived straight in on release day. Ninty have already admitted that much. The price cut is welcoming but the games they are promising still aren't here yet so until that library fills out with more than just fodder, the 3DS won't take off. I still wouldn't mind a 3DS but I'm even determined to go one further and wait for their next versions of machines to come out (3DSi, Lite or XL) coz I'm pretty sure Ninty will be bringing out more 3DS's that are tweaked and improve initial niggles like battery capacity and the like.

I'll get one for sure... just still waiting for a little more incentive.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Still 170 is to high as I said. And yes they're greedy. And yes nothing worth getting at all. There only two games released for that thing. So they're very slow and getting reboots out. Switch is the reason why I bet the price is cut. And these games are reboots not remakes. Sadly Nintendo is running out of ideas for new games. But oh well.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm looking forward to Mario Kart 7 and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, but until then the 3DS's library just really isn't catching my eye.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Same here.  The games out for that system suck. Not worth spending 40.00 plus tax on.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
All marketing strategies. Still, those of us who have held off knew a price drop was inevitable and probably did the wiser thing.
As Nintendoofah64 has already mentioned, the people who bought the 3ds at the original price will get 20 free vc games . 10 nes and 10 gba games, with the gba games being completely exclusive (people will be able to buy the nes games at a later date). I would also like to point out that one of the gba games is yoshi's island, which is awesome.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184922p1.html

So all of us that bought the 3ds early aren't left in the dust (even though i got it for my birthday :DD).

^Because, you seem to be missing the point. $250 is an ASININE price for a handheld gaming console. Especially when the company in question utilizes slave labor in China to get their consoles for $2.11 or some other ridiculously low price. $100 should be the maximum price for any handheld. $200 for consoles. I'm so sick of these greedy ass companies. Then people actually think they're doing them a FAVOR. It's just laughable.
With the price cut down to $170 Nintendo will be losing money with every 3ds sale. This will be the first time Nintendo has ever sold hardware at a loss.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184703p1.html

As for consoles, at the start of this generation, the Wii was the only console that was making money on hardware sales alone.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Aug 5 2011 on  08:29 PM
All marketing strategies. Still, those of us who have held off knew a price drop was inevitable and probably did the wiser thing.
As Nintendoofah64 has already mentioned, the people who bought the 3ds at the original price will get 20 free vc games . 10 nes and 10 gba games, with the gba games being completely exclusive (people will be able to buy the nes games at a later date). I would also like to point out that one of the gba games is yoshi's island, which is awesome.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184922p1.html

I just gonna wait, I've got those games on the original carts and still have them, but for any one who doesn't have them, $80 more isn't too bad.